Advertisement

Trillium #5 (I don't remember much Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Trillium #5 (I don't remember much Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Not many series destroy the Universe half-way through, but Trillium did, and it was awesome. However, the story must go on, and it does so here, with a very strange, new Universe being created, with, for some reason, Nika and William switching places.

So, in this issue, we see Nika wake up in 1920s London, living with her sister and suffering with mental problems after the war. Just like the ‘real’ William did. However, there are differences here, as the war that Nika fought in is not the First World War, but the ‘Blue War’, which was fought against, I assume, the Atabithian aliens, so it’s a bit more of steampunk (ugh) world, with alien technology around. Nika seems to be aware that something is wrong with the world, and that feeling continues when she goes to the museum and meets Commander Pohl, who wants to take her on an expedition to the Jungle, again, just like William. She declines, and at home, opens a book, to see a Trillium flower, which causes her to remember William.

As for William, he is of course now living in Nika’s world in the future, fleeing from the Caul and working with his brother on a space-station. William is just waking up from a black-out, where he went wandering out on the barren planet, and for some reason, Essie can’t remember what happened. After witnessing an industrial accident that not only reminds him of WW1, but happens to the future-guy he saw dead in the jungle in #1, William tells his brother that they don’t belong here, and he finally unlocks what happened to him last night, seeing… a hologram of Nika.

This was another very enjoyable, strange issue, and I once again loved how Lemire experimented with layout and structure. Much like #1, this was a ‘flip-book’, but every page had the top half focused on Nika, and the bottom half on William. I loved how each character’s story mirrored the other’s, how the panel layouts were always the same, and how they came together at certain points. I complained in my review of this week’s Batman/Superman, that doing a gimmick like a landscape comic for the sake of it is pointless, but when Lemire does something like this, it’s always in service of the story and making it more interesting.

The art is fantastic and detailed, which really came through in this issue, as he had less space to work with, and he took full advantage of it. Man, this mini is crazy, and I love it, I can’t wait to see where all of this is going, and how mental things can get.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 843 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Trillium #5 (I don't remember much Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:42 pm

At this point, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Nika, William, and their respective cast started out together at some point in time somewhere in the universe. Whatever is going on with the Caul, the Atabithians, and the temples has obviously destroyed and remade the universe several times and Nika and William are the key to everything. Jeff Lemire has created such a fantastic universe in Trillium that I am honestly upset that there are only 3 issues of this series left!
ImageImageImage

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I really enjoyed the flip book style of this issue. I think it served the story in a fun and interesting way.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Grayson wrote:At this point, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Nika, William, and their respective cast started out together at some point in time somewhere in the universe. Whatever is going on with the Caul, the Atabithians, and the temples has obviously destroyed and remade the universe several times and Nika and William are the key to everything. Jeff Lemire has created such a fantastic universe in Trillium that I am honestly upset that there are only 3 issues of this series left!

That's an interesting thought.

I'm not sure that it's correct, but it's entirely possible.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand