Advertisement

Batman/Superman #6 (This is real! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Batman/Superman #6 (This is real! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Man, this is a weird story, and I still can’t work out if this is supposed to be the ‘real’ Mongul or not. It certainly seems like a plot to take over the world through videogames would be beneath him, but then, this is a guy whose chief weapon is a fucking plant-pot, so who knows.

The interesting thing about this story is that Batman actually died at the end of last issue, no foolin’, and he spends about half of this issue dead on the floor. Luckily, Superman is here to fight off Mongul, and the video-game testers who think they are in control are able to select his body as their new avatar and bring him back to life, albeit slightly robotified. Superman notices that even though he’s alive again, his heart still isn’t beating, so this resurrection is only temporary, so it’s going to be interesting to see how Greg Pak actually does bring Batman back to life, because they obviously aren’t going to kill him off in this title. To complicate matters further, those game testers still think this is all just a game, and so they try and control Batman to take out Superman, and, given that they can control the game, he is able to actually hurt him.

This issue continues the best thing about this title, and it’s that most of the narration from both characters is about how each of them views the other. Thanks to Pak, I now feel that the relationship between ‘the world’s finest’ is much more well-defined and realistic. I see why they are friends, and, at times, friendly rivals.

Luckily for Superman, one of these game testers is Jimmy Olsen, and he’s able to convince his pal that this is actually real, and they get to work making the newly powered-up Batman fight for good, saving people from Mongul and actually flying, which is cool to see. But, this doesn’t last long, as the mysterious, crystal-boned Agnes removes the ‘game’ from beta-testing and opens it up to the whole world. So now, Batman is not being controlled by 4 nerds who know that it’s real, but by millions of other gamers who still think it’s just a game. And that’s not all! Remember that weird meteor shower from last issue? That was sent by Mongul to seed the areas of the world with the most gamers with an even larger lust for violence than they normally do.

So, now we’ve got a souped-up robo-Batman controlled by every asshole who ever called your mother bad things on Xbox Live, hopped up on space-coke. Oh dear, and he’s gunning right for Superman. I guess this is the real Mongul after all, as his plan is working to perfection. As I said, this is a weird story, but it is enjoyable, although, if I was a gamer, it would probably be pissing me off.

Brett Booth’s art is what you expect from Brett Booth, but I really don’t understand why this issue was landscape, unlike #5, it didn’t really make an effort to do something with being landscape, it just was for the sake of it, and it was a bit annoying. If you do a gimmick, do it for a reason.

Advertisement

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 361 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Re: Batman/Superman #6 (This is real! Spoilers)

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:54 pm

I really do not like the "landscape" style they are using for this story. Other than that it continues to just be a fun book and I love it!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I've enjoyed this up to this arc.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but, Loeb's Toyman story in Superman/Batman is better so far than Pak's, and it had a ridiculous Superman/Batman giant robot in it :shock:

Hab

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:15 pm

It's weird but the last two issues of Pak-Action Comics have been utterly brilliant. But here on Superman/Batman, I've not been enjoying his take. Between the shoddy art (first Jae Lee, now Brett Booth) and the overall, I don't know, low quality of stories, I just haven't been able to get into this book.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand