Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 am

superfictious wrote:
I'm with Amoebas. The show just feels...off. It's not bad, but something's missing, or there's an off mix of characters, or something.

Oh I get that it is not perfect at all, but to me it is a Whedon project which means a slow build until the end of the season one. Then everything usually explodes and season two rockets. At least that's how Buffy and Angel were. Firefly was a tad better but never got the chance to light that spark for the next season.

But yeah, I know what you are saying. And pretty boy can go, I'd rather have the guy who was in the last episode than this other guy. The rest of the cast is growing on me though.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 am

Starlord wrote:
Oh I get that it is not perfect at all, but to me it is a Whedon project which means a slow build until the end of the season one. Then everything usually explodes and season two rockets. At least that's how Buffy and Angel were. Firefly was a tad better but never got the chance to light that spark for the next season.

But yeah, I know what you are saying. And pretty boy can go, I'd rather have the guy who was in the last episode than this other guy. The rest of the cast is growing on me though.

I think I'd rather see May replaced by the black agent from earlier. Ward is boring and cliche, but...I have a feeling his backstory (especially with his brother) will be really interesting.

I agree about FitzSimmons. They've grown on me. I still think one's destined to die a horrible death.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 am

superfictious wrote:
I think I'd rather see May replaced by the black agent from earlier. Ward is boring and cliche, but...I have a feeling his backstory (especially with his brother) will be really interesting.

I agree about FitzSimmons. They've grown on me. I still think one's destined to die a horrible death.

Yeah I got that feeling too. :-(

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:26 am

There is a painful and unpleasant truth regarding Skye's mother and May is trying to protect Skye from that unpleasant truth without revealing it to her. I think there is some sort of deep and abiding connection between Skye and May, and to protect Skye from the above unpleasant truth, May is willing to alienate Skye entirely.

Kind of like a parent telling his kid, "do as I say, not as I do," without explaining the reasons why. An adult may yell at a toddler who gets his hand too close to a hot stove, but might not explain why touching a hot stove is bad. The toddler may resent the adult for being so harsh, but then associates touching the hot stove with getting in trouble.

Thus, protection through alienation.

Every time Skye gets close to touching the hot stove, May yells at her to get away. Why would May do this if she didn't truly and secretly give some version of a shit about Skye? It is not really interfering with their mission; Skye's doing this research on her own time.

The question is not what may or may not have happened to Skye's parents, but rather, why May gives so much of a shit about yelling at Skye every time she gets close to the "hot stove".

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:29 am

Strict31 wrote:There is a painful and unpleasant truth regarding Skye's mother and May is trying to protect Skye from that unpleasant truth without revealing it to her. I think there is some sort of deep and abiding connection between Skye and May, and to protect Skye from the above unpleasant truth, May is willing to alienate Skye entirely.

Kind of like a parent telling his kid, "do as I say, not as I do," without explaining the reasons why. An adult may yell at a toddler who gets his hand too close to a hot stove, but might not explain why touching a hot stove is bad. The toddler may resent the adult for being so harsh, but then associates touching the hot stove with getting in trouble.

Thus, protection through alienation.

Every time Skye gets close to touching the hot stove, May yells at her to get away. Why would May do this if she didn't truly and secretly give some version of a shit about Skye? It is not really interfering with their mission; Skye's doing this research on her own time.

The question is not what may or may not have happened to Skye's parents, but rather, why May gives so much of a shit about yelling at Skye every time she gets close to the "hot stove".

You think maybe there is a relationship there between Skye and May or perhaps Skye's mom was a "rogue" agent?

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 698 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:30 am

May killed Skye's mom?
-

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 am

outsider wrote:May killed Skye's mom?

:shock: Now that would be a cool twist!

Though I'm betting her mom is still alive.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:07 am

Starlord wrote:
You think maybe there is a relationship there between Skye and May or perhaps Skye's mom was a "rogue" agent?
I hate making predictions about TV shows because no matter how much a series might be "planned out", the writers could get together at any moment and decide to change or ignore something they've been building up for the entire season.

To be honest, the main reason I ever started thinking about this weeks ago was because I found out that the actress who plays Skye is of Asian heritage. Somewhere in my head I thought "it would be interesting if Skye and May were related..."

I dismissed that as being too obvious a twist. And just because it's probably what I would do if I was writing the story doesn't mean it's the best idea.

But even ignoring that shit, the seem to be going out of their way to make May overreact to Skye's curiosity about her parents. Which suggests some kind of deeper connection between the two. I dunno what kind of connection it is, just like I dunno what connection exists between Red and Lizzie in The Blacklist. But like that show, this one has to be significant enough for the audience to give a shit when it is revealed. But it can't be so obvious that the audience is like, "well, duh".

Maybe May is the one who cacked Skye's mom. Maybe she was her mom's S.O. I dunno. I'm just saying there's some sort of connection there which is driving May's response to Skye. Not just with this particular research, but Skye's presence on the team in general.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 am

Possibly.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 399 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:56 am

Maybe May's a Jedi and knows that Skye was conceived by the midichlorions?

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Chessack wrote:
Maybe May's a Jedi and knows that Skye was conceived by the midichlorions?

Skye may be the one prophesied to bring balance to prime time.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Strict31 wrote:Skye may be the one prophesied to bring balance to prime time.

Wait a second, since Skye is Jessica Drew does that mean that Bendis wrote the prophecy? Or does it mean that Bendis is in charge of prime time? Or both?! :shock:

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Grayson wrote:
Wait a second, since Skye is Jessica Drew does that mean that Bendis wrote the prophecy? Or does it mean that Bendis is in charge of prime time? Or both?! :shock:

Bendis did not invent Jessica Drew.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 698 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Bendis did not invent Jessica Drew.
Damn right - the High Evolutionary did!
-

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:49 pm

outsider wrote:Damn right - the High Evolutionary did!

Thank god he didn't put a spider head on her.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum