Advertisement

Mighty Avengers #4 (A-sem-buh! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Mighty Avengers #4 (A-sem-buh! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:51 pm

With Infinity over with, it’s time for the Mighty Avengers to move on from being a team thrown together on the fly, to an actual Avengers group. Al Ewing starts that process now, whilst at the same time doing a cool job of reflecting Inhumanity and continuing to tease out the true identity of Spider Hero/Ronin (even though it’s already been spoiled).

The issue begins with the introduction of this storyline’s villain, (at least, I think he’s meant to be a villain) Jason Quantrell, who is the head of some shady corporation called Cortex. What’s interesting here is that Qantrell’s personal security guard is one of the people who recently underwent Terrigenesis, and now has the ability to slow down time, which she uses to break into the sunken remains of Attilan to steal Inhuman tech that Quantrell and Cortex can use for nefarious means.

As for the actual Mighty Avengers, Luke is setting them up in the Gem Theater, which is of course, his original base of operations back when he was Power Man and first doing his heroing for hire thing. Al Ewing really is impressing me with his character work in this series, and all the conversations between all of the characters are just golden. Even though his take on Superior Spider-Man is a bit more over-the-top than Slott’s, it is very funny, and it works well in a team setting. The scene where everyone talks about why Spider-Man has changed was a little bit on the nose, but the idea that he read Atlas Shrugged and became a jerk is just genius, I bet Otto is an objectivist.

I also really enjoyed the scene where the Falcon joined the team, and he expressed exasperation at always being seen as Captain America’s sidekick by everyone. I must admit, I personally do kind of view Falcon as a supporting character of Captain America, so it’s going to be very cool indeed to see him strike out a bit on his own in this series, and be more than just Cap’s buddy, especially since he’s making his movie debut soon, albeit, as a supporting character of Captain America. The one page that explained what Blue Marvel is up to was great as well, not only did it demonstrate his global power-set (he’s in Germany!), but also his high intelligence (he speaks fluent German!), and a cool look at the wider Marvel Universe, with a guest-appearance from Hauptmann Deutschland of all characters. Ewing is of course a Brit, so it’s very cool to have him show some European stuff in the Marvel Universe, which can be forgotten.

The Spider Hero mystery continues to deepen, as he consults in private with Kaluu, an immortal magician, and we get some explanation for why this character is hiding his face, as he needs to keep his presence hidden from a mysterious group called ‘The Walkers’. It also seems like he knows Luke Cage’s dad, which is strange indeed. Spider Hero asks for help to find The Walkers, and he, like Quantrell, is pointed in the direction of Attilan. It turns out that these Walkers are making sure that Attilan stays floating in the Hudson river as part of their evil plans, and I’m excited to see their plot, along with Quantrell’s Inhuman agent, collide with the Mighty Avengers. Spider Hero asks the rest of the team to go with him to Attilan, but first up, he needs a new outfit. Luckily, Luke and Jessica still have a box of Hawkeye’s old clothes lying around (how great is it that, thanks to Fraction’s Hawkeye, that doesn’t seem too convenient? Clint is the type of guy to just leave shit at his friend’s house), and he is suited and booted as Ronin, which looks totally awesome, especially under a leather jacket (which, now that I think about it, is a big clue to Ronin’s true identity).

So, the Mighty Avengers are off to Attilan, but interestingly, Luke isn’t going with, he has a meeting with his Lawyer to help set up the Mighty Avengers legally. It looks like this Lawyer is going to be She-Hulk, and that’s how she’s going to join the team, but since when did She-Hulk and Luke Cage date? Jessica mentions they are exes, but I don’t remember that at all, is it from the 80s? I think it’s a cool idea, but it’s new to me. But before Luke can go meet Shulkie, he’s got Spider-Man to deal with, as SpOck returns to The Gem, with a Spider-Bot in tow, demanding to be made team leader. As I said before, Ewing’s Superior Spidey is not exactly subtle, but it’s working, and it’s adding a cool sense of discord amongst the team.

This series really is working for me now, the sense of humour is spot on, the characters are all written really well, and written as human beings, and I have to say, Greg Land’s art is looking pretty damn good. If you’ve slept on this book because you didn’t think you needed another Avengers title in your life, think again, because this is good stuff.

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: Mighty Avengers #4 (A-sem-buh! Spoilers)

Postby Chesscub » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Punchy wrote:With Infinity over with, it’s time for the Mighty Avengers to move on from being a team thrown together on the fly, to an actual Avengers group. Al Ewing starts that process now, whilst at the same time doing a cool job of reflecting Inhumanity and continuing to tease out the true identity of Spider Hero/Ronin (even though it’s already been spoiled).

The issue begins with the introduction of this storyline’s villain, (at least, I think he’s meant to be a villain) Jason Quantrell, who is the head of some shady corporation called Cortex. What’s interesting here is that Qantrell’s personal security guard is one of the people who recently underwent Terrigenesis, and now has the ability to slow down time, which she uses to break into the sunken remains of Attilan to steal Inhuman tech that Quantrell and Cortex can use for nefarious means.

As for the actual Mighty Avengers, Luke is setting them up in the Gem Theater, which is of course, his original base of operations back when he was Power Man and first doing his heroing for hire thing. Al Ewing really is impressing me with his character work in this series, and all the conversations between all of the characters are just golden. Even though his take on Superior Spider-Man is a bit more over-the-top than Slott’s, it is very funny, and it works well in a team setting. The scene where everyone talks about why Spider-Man has changed was a little bit on the nose, but the idea that he read Atlas Shrugged and became a jerk is just genius, I bet Otto is an objectivist.

I also really enjoyed the scene where the Falcon joined the team, and he expressed exasperation at always being seen as Captain America’s sidekick by everyone. I must admit, I personally do kind of view Falcon as a supporting character of Captain America, so it’s going to be very cool indeed to see him strike out a bit on his own in this series, and be more than just Cap’s buddy, especially since he’s making his movie debut soon, albeit, as a supporting character of Captain America. The one page that explained what Blue Marvel is up to was great as well, not only did it demonstrate his global power-set (he’s in Germany!), but also his high intelligence (he speaks fluent German!), and a cool look at the wider Marvel Universe, with a guest-appearance from Hauptmann Deutschland of all characters. Ewing is of course a Brit, so it’s very cool to have him show some European stuff in the Marvel Universe, which can be forgotten.

The Spider Hero mystery continues to deepen, as he consults in private with Kaluu, an immortal magician, and we get some explanation for why this character is hiding his face, as he needs to keep his presence hidden from a mysterious group called ‘The Walkers’. It also seems like he knows Luke Cage’s dad, which is strange indeed. Spider Hero asks for help to find The Walkers, and he, like Quantrell, is pointed in the direction of Attilan. It turns out that these Walkers are making sure that Attilan stays floating in the Hudson river as part of their evil plans, and I’m excited to see their plot, along with Quantrell’s Inhuman agent, collide with the Mighty Avengers. Spider Hero asks the rest of the team to go with him to Attilan, but first up, he needs a new outfit. Luckily, Luke and Jessica still have a box of Hawkeye’s old clothes lying around (how great is it that, thanks to Fraction’s Hawkeye, that doesn’t seem too convenient? Clint is the type of guy to just leave shit at his friend’s house), and he is suited and booted as Ronin, which looks totally awesome, especially under a leather jacket (which, now that I think about it, is a big clue to Ronin’s true identity).

So, the Mighty Avengers are off to Attilan, but interestingly, Luke isn’t going with, he has a meeting with his Lawyer to help set up the Mighty Avengers legally. It looks like this Lawyer is going to be She-Hulk, and that’s how she’s going to join the team, but since when did She-Hulk and Luke Cage date? Jessica mentions they are exes, but I don’t remember that at all, is it from the 80s? I think it’s a cool idea, but it’s new to me. But before Luke can go meet Shulkie, he’s got Spider-Man to deal with, as SpOck returns to The Gem, with a Spider-Bot in tow, demanding to be made team leader. As I said before, Ewing’s Superior Spidey is not exactly subtle, but it’s working, and it’s adding a cool sense of discord amongst the team.

This series really is working for me now, the sense of humour is spot on, the characters are all written really well, and written as human beings, and I have to say, Greg Land’s art is looking pretty damn good. If you’ve slept on this book because you didn’t think you needed another Avengers title in your life, think again, because this is good stuff.

Jen probably went and did Luke after she banged Cain Marko

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I recall they dated in an old series they were both in together.

This book is awesome. I'm loving Spider Ock.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I agree with what Punchy said here.

I loved the way the Falcon was written. I loved Black Marvel's interlude (the Terror Hives of W.E.S.P.E. - awesome :-D ). I loved Spider Hero becoming the new Ronin. I loved the mystery of the Deathwalkers. There was just so much to love about this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Luke Cage and Shulkie briefly dated in the 90's Heroes for Hire team book.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 841 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:30 pm

This book is fun, more fun then I thought it would be...

I haven't read this issue yet, is Land still the artist?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:This book is fun, more fun then I thought it would be...

I haven't read this issue yet, is Land still the artist?

Greg Land is the credited penciller for this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 841 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Gaah...

He is the only thing keeping this from being perfect... :evil:

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Nice review as this sounds like a good read.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand