Advertisement

Avengers A.I. #7 (Doombot rejects all hope Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers A.I. #7 (Doombot rejects all hope Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Sam Humphries takes a break from the ongoing battle between the Avengers and Dimitrios for a very enjoyable Inhumanity tie-in that surprised me by actually starting to make Doombot into a character. I’ve loved Doombot as a hilarious, background joke for the past 6 issues, but giving him some actual depth, and some moments of heroism, has made him even better. Plus, the fact that Doombot is doing good is a great example of this title’s core theme, that A.I. are just like humans really, that just because Doombot was built and based on someone evil, doesn’t mean he can’t grow to be good too. He has sentience, he has free will.

Anyway, Inhumanity, this issue starts off with Hank Pym investigating the sunken ruins of Attilan and using an army of ants to scour it for bits of Inhuman tech that could be useful. Whlst there, Vision notices a strange reading, and Doombot is sent to check it out, but before he can reach it, he’s attacked by Daredevil. I thought it was really cool how Humphries used Daredevil in this story, and how he picked up on the events of Waid’s run. In that run, Daredevil and Hank Pym have struck up a bit of a friendship, and more than that, an arc from last year saw Daredevil get kidnapped by some of Doom’s goons, so it really makes sense that he would attack what he perceived to be Doom flying around New York. Daredevil is about to take out Doombot, but Pym is there to tell him that, hey, he’s with me, and Matt quickly uses his super-senses to work out that this is a robot. Matt is initially shocked that Pym has made a Doombot into an Avenger, but he is soon turned around by the same arguments I made earlier, that Doombot is not his creator, and that he deserves a chance to be his own man.

Daredevil then explains that he’s looking for a client of his, an old lady called Doris who has been badly screwed over by Health Insurance, and has gone missing. You guessed it, it turns out that Doris is the strange energy reading that the Vision saw, and she’s a newly empowered Inhuman, who soon attacks everyone with her tentacles. I think it’s cool how Humphries has demonstrated that literally anyone could turn out to be an Inhuman, even a sweet old lady can suddenly be given powers. This is a cool point of difference between Inhumans and Mutants, as Mutants generally develop their powers as teens. Doris is angry and confused about what’s happened to her, but she is talked down by Daredevil, after he reveals his identity to her.

Just as Pym and everyone think they’ve got everything under control, Medusa and Lockjaw show up to take Doris off to wherever the Inhumans are living these days. It’s here that Doris finally gets a good look at her new, monstrous visage, and learns that this transformation is permanent, which almost sets her off again, but Doombot, of all characters, talks her down. Of course, he does it in a typical, Doombot way, appealing to her anger and basically convincing her to use her powers to strike back and become a supervillain, but it works. Pym doesn’t hear what Doombot says, but Daredevil does, and he realises what the audience should too, Doombot may have phrased it in a villainous fashion, but he still did good, which is a step forward for him. I think I’m really going to enjoy the slow-burn character growth of Doombot, especially if he still maintains that ridiculous humour at the same time.

The issue ends with a return to the main storylines, with Monica Chang desperately trying to piece together The Diamond before she is reassigned to the new Robot Hunter squad and sent by Hill to kill A.I.s. She doesn’t succeed however, as the first member of her new team shows up, and it’s Jocasta! This is a surprise, why the heck is Jocasta turning against her fellow robots? A very cool reveal that has me excited for the next issue, which, from Humphries’ note at the end here, is going to be awesome.

This was another very strong issue, and part of that was the return of Andre Lima Araujo as artist, he has such a great, unique style, although I don’t think he draws Medusa’s hair very well, it was a bit stringy, but that’s a small complaint.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Avengers A.I. #7 (Doombot rejects all hope Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 pm

I enjoyed this issue, but, to tell the truth, I found it to be a little unwanted as well. After the big revelation last issue, I wanted to see where that was going. I understand why Marvel would want to have this series crossover into Inhumanity, but because of last issue's ending this issue came across a little bit as an unwarranted interruption.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 336 posts

Re: Avengers A.I. #7 (Doombot rejects all hope Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice review, Punchy.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand