Thursday, April 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Something about hobo piss."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

What's You Favourite Mark Gruenwald Story?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 pm

I've been reading the current storyline in Captain America and I have to say that it really reminds me a lot of the type of story that Gruenwald would do at his best. It's put a thought in my mind and made me want to ask a question of everyone here.

What was your favourite story told by Mark Gruenwald? Mine would be his Squadron Supreme limited series, followed closely by the first Twenty Five issues of Quasar.

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Captain A 332 - 350

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 pm

LobsterJ wrote:Captain A 332 - 350

Definitely one of his best. :)

COBRA Command

cheese

Postby COBRA Command » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:09 pm

The Captain / John Walker run, and The Bloodstone Hunt.

Such a great time to be a Steve Rogers' fan.

MikeinLA

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby MikeinLA » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 pm

When he turned Ronald Reagan into a snake monster.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 pm

My favorite Mark Gruenwald story?

How about the one where his cremated ashes were mixed with the printers ink for the Squadron Supreme Trade?

As for a story he wrote - As much as I love Reborn to Run, I'll go with...

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 pm

I'll always have a soft spot for Contest of Champions, DP7, and though it really doesn't count, the ORIGINAL OHOTMU. His Squadron Supreme epic is arguably his best work, but for my personal favorite I have to go with the Project Pegasus Saga.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:33 am

It's an obvious choice, but I like Squadron Supreme the best as well.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 am

Squadron Supreme.

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:23 am

Dang, this is a difficult question. I love Pegasus Project and Squadron Supreme, but The Captain/John Walker storyline kicked ass, too.

I refuse to answer.

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:34 am

Eli Katz wrote:Image

He was a pretty darn good artist too.

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:35 am

Amoebas wrote:My favorite Mark Gruenwald story?

How about the one where his cremated ashes were mixed with the printers ink for the Squadron Supreme Trade?

As for a story he wrote - As much as I love Reborn to Run, I'll go with...

I've got that trade. The only flaw in the trade (which got fixed in later editions) is that it didn't have Death of a Universe. Took me forever to find the OGN for that. Squadron Supreme was indeed his high point.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:13 pm

I think his "best" story is pretty clearly Squadron Supreme, but I can't say it's my favorite, to whatever extent that makes sense. and this is a tough call...

the whole Captain storyline is awesome, but I don't know that I don't like Bloodstone Hunt, and if i'm being totally honest, maybe even the cheese-tastic Streets of Poison, better. and then there's Project: Pegasus, but I actually prefer his Serpent Crown Affair from later in 2-in-1 to that. and then there's the first 25 issues of Quasar, the original Hawkeye mini...

I think I'll go with Bloodstone Hunt. just for the Zemo awesomeness.

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 pm

I hadn't realized just how much of my comic reading youth was spent reading his stuff specifically. I knew he was vastly influential, but I didn't try and count it all up before this thread. Wow.

leave a comment with facebook