Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers 15 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Uncanny Avengers 15 (spoilers)

Postby Keb » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 am

Not as good as the last issue where everyone dies or the one before where Captain Obvious shouts a lot but there were some cool weird as fuck moments like Sentry ripping off his face or Giant-Jan squishing him with her foot. Wolverine fighting GrimnReaper and Daken with half his body cooked like bbq was awesome. Thor continues to be awesome and I'm looking forward to him fighting Uriel. I know everyone hates this book because it doesn't love continuity and rogue is a huge out-of-character bitch but the shit going on is so bizarre that it's fun as hell.

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Uncanny Avengers 15 (spoilers)

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Keb wrote:Not as good as the last issue where everyone dies or the one before where Captain Obvious shouts a lot but there were some cool weird as fuck moments like Sentry ripping off his face or Giant-Jan squishing him with her foot. Wolverine fighting GrimnReaper and Daken with half his body cooked like bbq was awesome. Thor continues to be awesome and I'm looking forward to him fighting Uriel. I know everyone hates this book because it doesn't love continuity and rogue is a huge out-of-character bitch but the shit going on is so bizarre that it's fun as hell.

And we get the return of Exitar the Executioner, one of the wonderful DeFalco/Frenz creations! :-D Hoo-Ha!!!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Or Thor and Janet going to the moon to see if Uatu can help and he tells them that it's too late for the Earth.

Awesome book...

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 710 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:13 pm

The book started off slow/awkward but picked up rather well.

Some of the voices are still off but overall it's a fun book.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:22 pm

whodathunkit, fantomex shooting a boy in the head would lead to this?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:34 pm

After an absolutely crazy last issue where Rick Remender killed almost every character he has off, this issue was probably always going to feel like a bit of a let-down (unless Remender decided to kill everyone else too), and it was, but it was still a very enjoyable read, full of the usual insanely epic scale this title is used to, tied in with some pretty cool character moments.

We open with Captain America and Havok racing towards The Twins, unaware of everything else that’s been going on, and having some pretty fun banter, with Cap showing a surprising sense of humour by still pretending to be deaf. However, just as they come across another load of crab monsters, Havok is teleported away, leaving Cap on his own. Havok has disappeared of course, because of the Mutant Rapture, which the other Unity Squad members failed to prevent, on account of them brutally murdering each other. Uriel and Eimin were aware of Scarlet Witch’s plans, and have stopped it, so everything is happening as intended, all of the Mutants on Earth are being teleported to their ship and placed into stasis, so they can be taken to a new planet. We see all of the various different groups of Mutants get raptured, Cyclops’ team, both X-Forces, Sabretooth, the Jean Grey School students, Sunfire and Cannonball from the Avengers, all of ‘em.

Whilst all this is going on, Wolverine is in the midst of battle with Grim Reaper and Daken, and they explain how all of this is because the Mutants were in all of those different groups, that they were divided, which really does make sense. The ‘Schism’ has been the cause of a lot of great stories, but it has hurt the mutant cause. Of course, before the fight can end, Wolverine himself is raptured.

The story then moves to the Wasp, and her fight with the Horsemanified Sentry, which on the surface is a mis-match, but Wasp more than holds her own. It was great to see her grow to giant size and just stomp on him, and wow, her sting weapon looks to be more powerful than ever. Horseman Sentry is a very effective, creepy villain, his dialogue is very portentous, but it works, and that page of him ripping off his burned head and revealing just a brain with eyes was so weird and awesome. McNiven’s art really sold that moment, a brain with eyes could look goofy, but under his realistic style, it has the right scary effect. McNiven’s art feels like it’s back to it’s best with these last two issues, and he is the perfect artist for this epic story. Just as Sentry has Wasp at his mercy, Thor comes back, and as you’d expect another round of Thor Vs Sentry is always welcome and always awesome. However, it’s Wasp who saves the day, as she uses her ability to talk to insects to summon a giant fucking Dune worm to eat the Sentry.

Back on the space ark, Captain America tries to go it alone against Uriel and Eimin, but they pretty much kick his ass easily and start doing some monologuing. Then, out of nowhere, a giant fucking Kirby-looking Celestial dude arrives and starts floating near the Earth. This guy is ‘Exitar The Executioner’, and the Twins are going to let him destroy the whole planet, and all of the Humans left on it. Thor and Wasp go to see The Watcher (who is more omnipresent than usual these days, they really are setting up his death heavily), and he says that the arrival of Exitar is Thor’s fault, because of what he did that Jarnbjorn axe that was used by Uriel to kill a load of Celestials, and that Exitar was drawn here by their deaths. The scale of this story blows my mind, and how the time-travel was all used to set it up, going back 1000s of years, it truly is epic. Thor asks Uatu if there’s anything he can do to stop Exitar, but nope, it’s a thumbs down, and Earth is going to be destroyed, no more humans.

I have no idea how Remender is going to write his way out of this cliffhanger, but I’m excited to see it. Despite not featuring the shocks of #14, this didn’t really let up the pace, big things are happening here, and the action was better than ever thanks to McNiven, I’ve been saying this series is underrated for a while now, and it is getting more attention now, but for the wrong reasons, let’s hope this issue gets people talking about more than supposed fridging, gets them talking about how crazy epic this storyline is.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1008 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:05 am

This was a massive improvement over the previous issue. Where I didn't feel that the last issue was very compelling, this issue felt quite epic. Things got real in this issue and it finally felt like there will be some real consequences as a result of these events.

I didn't really get the impression that Exitar was going to destroy the Earth, in fact, from the dialogue provided in this issue in reference to Noah and the Great Flood, I kinda got the impression that Earth itself will be fine. Exitar is simply there to destroy the human race, the Twins will return with the Ark and repopulate the planet with the mutants on board.

Meanwhile, with or without the Void, the Sentry is still batshit crazy and clearly isn't on the same page as the Twins. I'm really curious how all of this will play out.
ImageImageImage

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 63 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Keb wrote:whodathunkit, fantomex shooting a boy in the head would lead to this?

I think that is what's most awesome about this -- I have no idea if Remender's telling a specific story or if he's just going straight meta with how he really feels about the last 30 years of comic books, but it's really interesting to read.

But all of the absolutely stupid crap that has happened in comics from the minute after Frank Miller had Batman and Superman fight nearly to the death has, to my mind, led up to this story in Uncanny Avengers.

Heroes constantly fighting heroes. Mutants being slaughtered every few years, since the 1980s -- even though Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch joined the Avengers NEARLY 50 YEARS AGO -- and the Avengers always on the sidelines when that's happening.

The Sentry and Wanda and Hank Pym all having mental breakdowns...and nobody ever giving a shit until it was too late.

Don't get me wrong: I totally understand WHY these things happen -- there are multiple writers over multiple books over multiple years, and writers should be allowed to tell their stories.

But at the same time, this is where we are. Remender's X-Force run was brilliant because it always showed that all the killing they were doing was never going to solve anything/everything, and in the end, was as likely to cost them their souls as it was to end any threats.

Uncanny Avengers has been a little uneven, with Remender still finding voices for some of the characters. It hasn't always been the smoothest ride.

But the high stakes have always been there. I doubt any writer is going to change how they approach anything because of it. But to be honest, as a longtime fan of this medium, it would be nice if we reached some kind of compromise with the contingent of people who just can't seem to tell a story where Batman and Superman don't hate each other, or Wolverine and Cyclops aren't trying to kill each other, and those of us who would prefer that those characters maybe stop fighting each long enough to, oh, I don't know....stop a couple of messed-up freaking kids from killing the Earth. :shock: :shock:

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Is the Dreaming Celestial still in Golden Gate Park?

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Seeing Exitar again made for a very cool ending.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand