Advertisement

Saga #17 (Not sure there's another word for it than orgy Spo

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Saga #17 (Not sure there's another word for it than orgy Spo

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

The story of Saga (is that a tautology?) finally catches up to the very end of #12, and man, this shit just got real. Marko, Alana and the rest of their family, along with Prince Robot IV and Gwendolyn and The Will are all in the same place at the same time, and as expected, BKV makes things happen in a big way.

However, we begin away from Quietus, with more of the Tabloid journalists, Upsher and Dorff, and, as well as getting explicit confirmation that they are lovers, we are introduced to the mysterious ‘The Brand’, the freelancer who has been hired to take them out. He doesn’t kill them though, he instead doses them with a poison called ‘Embargon’ which means that, if they ever do spill the beans about Marko and Alana, they will die then. It’s interesting that The Brand doesn’t kill them right away, and he does seem like an interesting new character, just visually. He wears a cool helmet, and seems to be rather androgynous, as he wears lipstick and women’s shoes. He also has a pet, much like Lying Cat, in his case, a giant red dog who seems to be able to fire poisonous darts from it’s nose. The ending of that scene was weird, as The Brand slashes at something, but we don’t see what it was, did he end up killing the journalists after all? I have no idea.

The main meat of the story however is of course back on Quietus, as Prince Robot continues to interrogate/torture Heist, with Marko, Alana et al cowering upstairs, trying to figure a way out. Gwendolyn and Lying Cat are standing on a cliff nearby, trying to work out what’s going on. Robot IV and Heist start talking about the title of Heist’s new novel, ‘The Opposite Of War’, and how that opposite is not peace. Heist asks Robot what he saw during a near-death experience, and it’s revealed that what he saw was his entire army platoon in a massive orgy. It turns out that ‘the opposite of war… is fucking’, and I can’t decide whether that makes sense or not. I suppose it explains those controversial scenes in #12, where Robot’s head had all of those blowjobs on it. At the time, I thought that was a bit unnecessary, but now I see that it’s all part of the plan.

Just as Robot realises this, Klara comes down to try and save Heist, as well, the only escape is through the front door. I did feel that Marko being willing to kill Hazel to keep her away from Prince Robot was a bit strong, but then it looks like the Robots are well known amongst his people for their brutality against ‘moonies’, something Alana’s side of the war doesn’t know. With The Brand’s comments at the start, it looks like there are a lot of hidden truths out there. Robot blasts Klara, Heist shoots him, and that chaos brings Gwendolyn into the fray, and things get even crazier. She bursts in the door, kills Heis with her stretchy-sword-thing, and is then blasted by Klara, and basically everything is fucked. Plus, Prince Robot IV isn’t dead, he’s just rebooting…

The last few pages of this issue were absolutely mental, and made up for the long wait to get to this point, I was very shocked by Heist’s death, and by what’s coming next. Throw in the introduction of The Brand, a touching scene with The Will and Slave Girl, along with Fiona Staples’ ever-excellent art, and this was just what we’ve come to expect from Saga, just pure awesomeness every month.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 647 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Saga #17 (Not sure there's another word for it than orgy

Postby Amoebas » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:15 am

Last issue, when they stated there was action coming 'this' issue... They were right!

Sorry to see Heist go (but Punchy, I read it that Gwendolyn didn't 'kill' Heist, she seemed surprised by the action in my eyes).

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Amoebas wrote:Last issue, when they stated there was action coming 'this' issue... They were right!

Sorry to see Heist go (but Punchy, I read it that Gwendolyn didn't 'kill' Heist, she seemed surprised by the action in my eyes).

I read it this way too. She just reacts and it goes through his head, I also imagine he'll be healed.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Amoebas wrote:Last issue, when they stated there was action coming 'this' issue... They were right!

Heist might be a feint.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand