Advertisement

Review Group Week 160 - SUPERMAN: WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Name the James Robinson/Greg Rucka writing team

Ruckbinson
45%
Rocka
27%
Other
27%

Total votes : 11

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Punchy wrote:So, I can now say I'm a professional comics critic right?

:twisted:

Did you get paid for something? :?

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 pm

amlah6 wrote:Did you get paid for something? :?

Published critic then?

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Punchy wrote:Published critic then?

That one works. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:That one works. :lol:

I'm famous!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Punchy wrote:So, I can now say I'm a professional comics critic right?

:twisted:

Hahahahaa That means so am I. welcome to the party pal.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm famous!

I know its lame but thats the first thing I thought as well. Well to be fair one week at the Outhouse and there's an article for us, that's pretty impressive.

And to amlah and punchy, I think Powers reads sooo much better in HC, I always forget how much I love it. I just pre-ordered the third HC from amazon.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Oh, and also, I'm super pumped to be reading more Rucka after I just finished Queen and country I've never read anything of his before.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:17 pm

young neil wrote:I know its lame but thats the first thing I thought as well. Well to be fair one week at the Outhouse and there's an article for us, that's pretty impressive.

And to amlah and punchy, I think Powers reads sooo much better in HC, I always forget how much I love it. I just pre-ordered the third HC from amazon.

Yeah, it's pretty freaking awesome, I just finished Volume 2 today, when is 3 due out?

I'm really interested to see how the TV version pans out.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, it's pretty freaking awesome, I just finished Volume 2 today, when is 3 due out?

I'm really interested to see how the TV version pans out.

haha Amazon has Powers HC vol 3 listed as march 4.... mighty me waiting a while. I'd still pick it up no matter how late it is. Great story and I love reading the letters' pages.

The TV show sounds great, I heard he's handed in his contribution for the pilot already.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 pm

young neil wrote:haha Amazon has Powers HC vol 3 listed as march 4.... mighty me waiting a while. I'd still pick it up no matter how late it is. Great story and I love reading the letters' pages.

The TV show sounds great, I heard he's handed in his contribution for the pilot already.

Who would you cast as Walker and Pilgrim? I always read Walker's lines as Patrick Warburton (Brock Samson, The Tick), and can see Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) as Deena.

But I think maybe they should go for unknowns, and cast bigger names as the various powers who die and are investigated.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Perfect casting there, but could you imagine the interactions between those two, it'd either be hilarious or really awkward.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:35 pm

young neil wrote:Perfect casting there, but could you imagine the interactions between those two, it'd either be hilarious or really awkward.

Hilariously awkward.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Punchy wrote:Hilariously awkward.

Double snap!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 94 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Since it's moved here, I suppose I'll finally start participating in the review group. Superman: World of New Krypton seems a good place to start.

I thought that Superman: World of New Krypton (aka, Superman Gets a Job) was a decent read for a first issue. Robinson and Rucka have a firm grasp of who Superman is and what makes him tick. It has been interesting to see Superman finally come face to face with his Kryptonian heritage and realize that it is not the idealized world he imagined it to be.

In this issue, Superman takes up Alura's offer to turn his back on Earth and live permanently on New Krypton. Superman's first job on New Krypton is to find a job, or, rather, choose a guild. Guilds are generally determined based on one's parents, but because Superman's parents belonged to different guilds, and because Superman was not raised on Krypton, Alura gives him the option of choosing his own guild. Robinson and Rucka take some time to flesh out this aspect of Kryptonian society as part of the story, and we finally get an explanation for the different clothing that the people wear, all of which harken back to the different interpretations of Kryptonian garb by several artists over the decades: the different clohtes are guild uniforms. We are also treated to a cool scene where Superman establishes that while his powers may not be unique among his fellow Kryptonians, he is still more than a match for any individual resident of New Krypton given his vastly greater experience using his abilities.

The conclusion of the issue is no big shock given what we've seen from future solicits, but it puts Superman in a very interesting situation. One of the things I have enjoyed about the New Krypton story arc is that I really have no idea where the authors are taking this story, or how they plan to resolve the problems facing Superman, his fellow Kryptonians, and the Earth. I see a lot of promise in this issue, and given the caliber of the writers involved, I plan to stick with it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Good review MrBlack, but you need to give a score out of 10 too.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand