Advertisement

Ballad of the Antichrist

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Ballad of the Antichrist

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:12 pm

After two years of post-production hell, my first graphic novel is finally done. It's a docufiction within a story, about a unified conspiracy theory in a parallel universe, where a secret cabal is on the verge of enslaving humanity once and for all and only a renegade titan stands in their way.

It's an unconventional style of storytelling that doesn't utilize a lot of character development and relies on a lot of exposition and visceral action sequences which may not appeal to some people but it's how I wanted to present the story in one volume. To be completely honest, I have an extremely difficult time depicting subtle character development. I never really understood why I've struggled with the quiet moments of storytelling, like two people sharing a meal or colleagues at work or an employee getting chewed out by their boss, until I heard this quote re-enacted during a Lovecraft documentary:

"I could not write about "ordinary people" because I am not in the least interested in them. Without interest there can be no art. Man's relations to man do not captivate my fancy. It is man's relation to the cosmos—to the unknown—which alone arouses in me the spark of creative imagination. The humanocentric pose is impossible to me, for I cannot acquire the primitive myopia which magnifies the earth and ignores the background. Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty. Like the late Mr. Wilde, "I live in terror of not being misunderstood."

So just to prevent any misunderstanding between us, this isn't the character based storytelling that you're used to. It's different, it's an experiment and it pushes all kinds of boundaries. It's 242 pages of cognitive dissonance that I tried to make as entertaining as possible because I wanted to get this information out of the way to establish the universe, like a zero issue of a comic book series.

If this sounds interesting to you, check it out. At $3.99 for 242 pages on a kindle/tablet it's a steal compared to most monthlies.

kindle

Paperback costs more but I couldn't charge less than $9.21, so there's always the e-book.

paperback

Hopefully most of you will enjoy some of it or some of you will enjoy most of it. Either way I honestly hope somebody, somewhere is entertained, in some way.

:D
Last edited by Liam Rodgers on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 825 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Ballad of the Antichrist

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:55 am

No preview pages?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:20 am

Sure there are, just follow those links to Amazon.com and click to look inside.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:36 am

You wrote and drew it? I like the art (not saying I dislike the writing just don't have a big enough example of it to form an opinion).

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 619 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:59 am

I like the artwork, too.
Looks interesting, plus it's only $3.99.
I'll end up getting it.
-

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:24 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:You wrote and drew it? I like the art (not saying I dislike the writing just don't have a big enough example of it to form an opinion).

Thanks! I wrote, drew, inked, coloured, lettered and published it. The docufiction within the story covers 100 years of corruption in a parallel universe in the form of a unified conspiracy theory. I'm not sure this sort of thing interests you but for $3.99, how can you go wrong? ;)

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:32 pm

outsider wrote:I like the artwork, too.
Looks interesting, plus it's only $3.99.
I'll end up getting it.

That's Awesome!

BTW, if you enjoy it, feel free to verbally attack any of my potential critics any way you see fit. I promise I will never throw you under the bus for the sake of political correctness/thoughtcrime.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:34 pm

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm

book 1: two old titans escape from exile to return to earth. moloch is a technological owl, whose original body was destroyed in a past catastrophe. prometheus is an enormous humanoid trapped in cumbersome armor that inhibits most of his powers. prometheus uses ovum from a descendent of his in nigeria to create a new demigod. they genetically engineer the boy with superhuman capabilities, who reaches 18 years old within three days. during this time, prometheus details how the \illuminati have conspired to enslave mankind. after the extensive history lesson is complete, eze and moloch embark on a mission to retrieve the key to prometheus’ armor hidden in giza. a covert military force guards the site. they stagger eze momentarily, but he earns a decisive victory, and returns the key. from a secret bunker in washington, leo hardy osborn reports to jfk about these events. jfk then initiates the omega protocols to destroy the world in accordance with the governing operational department or G.O.D.

Spoilers ahead!!!

book 2:prometheus is only partially unbound. the final stage of the lock can only be opened by a female, because the key is an intrauterine device. jfk appeals to G.O.D. agent lilith to rescind the omega protocols. eze and moloch battle illuminated forces while prometheus searches earth undetected. lilith activates the moon base and destroys the mothership. nuclear attacks seemingly destroy moloch’s shuttle. eze almost falls to five super-powered agents of omnicomm, but manages to escape into the ocean’s deep. prometheus finds the subject, avatari or ava, a 17 year old girl from london. he educates her on the history of the ancient astronauts who crafted the key. moloch rescues eze from the deep, rehabilitates his wounds and upgrades his powers with nano-tech implants. eze launches a counter-attack, drawing out the omnicomm squad from before. moloch extracts prometheus and ava. eze is victorious. lilith detects their brief signal, and orders the moon base weapon fired at jupiter, igniting the planet’s upper atmosphere. ava agrees to help prometheus save earth before jupiter becomes a second star.

book 3: jupiter is on fire. prometheus trains ava. eze lashes out at industry. lilith monitors eze’s actions as they lead to america. she dispatches a legion of agents to confront him. G.O.D.s mika’el and azra’el are aboard nibiru headed to earth. eze survives the gauntlet and finds lilith, jfk and others activating molok, a techno-minotaur. prometheus implants the key inside ava. molok explains to eze the true history of the \lluminati. their purpose is to condition humanity in preparation of the end of days. all souls on earth will be then sacrificed to create a new body so molok can be free of his technological shell. moloch the techno-owl is a clone, created to deceive prometheus and manipulate him towards this end when humanity was ripe. eze’s cause seems hopeless, lilith consoles him which quickly turns to seduction. nibiru, the planet sized craft reaches earth. eze stirs from post coitus stupor only to be ambushed and killed by mika’el and azra’el.

book 4:mika’el, lilith, azra’el, and molok escalate the destruction on earth. ava uses her new powers to stop the various disasters. this forces the four to confront her. prometheus joins the fight; confident that ava is powerful enough to open his armor and unleash all his power. he doesn’t know the suit will destroy him and animate the dead on earth for molok’s purposes. prometheus is also unaware that moloch has double crossed molok and will champion his cause because he can’t save him. prometheus prompts ava to blast open the final restraint on his armor. when she does, the armor converts prometheus into a wave of energy saturated with nano-tech that envelopes the earth. the blast resurrects all the dead that have ever lived. moloch secretly tweaked the nano-tech to also bestow the living with random super-powers to improve their chance of surviving while he tries to seize nibiru. jupiter explodes and eze stirs to life.

book 5: jupiter’s eruption turns the giant planet into a star. the G.O.D.s return to nibiru while moloch leads ava to eze, whose own nano-tech have been upgraded to process solar energy. the G.O.D.s prepare to absorb souls of living and dead to create a new body for molok. eze remains on earth to unite and protect the newly empowered human race to better survive the rising heat. moloch and ava infiltrate nibiru. ava occupies the remaining G.O.D.s, while moloch secretly hacks nibiru and halts the soul conversion process for molok's new body, killing him instantly. with nibiru under his command, moloch collapses the star into a black hole that he converts into a wormhole gate which allow intergalactic travel. the remaining G.O.D.s are exiled but azra’el escapes. on ravaged earth under moloch’s nibiru, the super-powered living now share their existence with the unclaimed, living dead.

More or less...although things change all the time this is the basic gist that I've submitted to numerous publishers over the last three years.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Behold,
Master Man!!! © Liam Rodgers, with special permission from Aaron Shepard. :wink:

Able to lift a mountain, hurdle an ocean and break the sound barrier.

Alas, he cannot fly.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 342 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:55 pm

You have a lot of talent, here, bro, and I hope this does well. Oh, isn't Master Man a copy-righted Marvel character though as I am wondering if you will go through and legal hurdles or anything?

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Draco x wrote:You have a lot of talent, here, bro, and I hope this does well. Oh, isn't Master Man a copy-righted Marvel character though as I am wondering if you will go through and legal hurdles or anything?

Thanks man, if I could hand out coupons for the ebook, you'd get two!!! :D

Copyrights are tricky but there are some interesting exceptions to all the rules. A character can be copyrighted but not just the name in and of itself, so as long as my Master Man isn't a blonde/aryan Nazi super villain, I'm not actually violating the copyright. My Master Man's name doesn't appear on the cover, so I'm not violating any Trademarks either, although I doubt Marvel has plans to trademark a Nazi super villain comic book.

The first Master Man was actually published by Fawcett Comics until DC threatened to sue them in the 40's, then they ditched it. Aside from Marvel's Nazi, there's another Master Man that's a villain of Kid Eternity. My version, aka Eze (Eh Zay; which is an Igbo name that means King or Chieftain,) Thunder, was always going to be from Nigeria because I don't like what big oil is doing there and at one point, Eze is going to get some payback for his people.

After I finished the ashcan version in 2011, I wanted Eze to have a code name and so I started to research Nigerian folklore for strongmen to see if anything would jump out and boy did it ever.

http://www.aaronshep.com/stories/021.html

About the Story

“Master Man” is a tale of the Hausa, the largest ethnic group of northern Nigeria. The Hausa live mainly on the savannah (grassland with scattered trees) of Nigeria’s northwest quarter.
Though most Hausa live in rural villages—as portrayed in this story—the larger Hausa towns have possessed a sophisticated urban culture since long before European colonization. As traders, the Hausa have for centuries maintained economic and cultural contacts throughout West Africa. Their adoption of Islam led to early development of literacy and written literature.
Tall tales like this about fighting he-men are popular among the Hausa. Many such stories feature the stock character Mijin-Maza, or Namiji-Mijin-Maza. “Master Man” is my own rendering of this name, which has been translated variously as “A-Man-Among-Men,” “Manly-Man,” and “Superman.”

Master Man was a perfect fit for Eze, so I contacted the author of that short story, Aaron Shepard and asked him permission to use the name for my Nigerian hero. He immediately pointed out that character names can't be copyrighted but he gave me permission to use it anyways.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 342 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 pm

The Beast wrote:
Thanks man, if I could hand out coupons for the ebook, you'd get two!!! :D

Copyrights are tricky but there are some interesting exceptions to all the rules. A character can be copyrighted but not just the name in and of itself, so as long as my Master Man isn't a blonde/aryan Nazi super villain, I'm not actually violating the copyright. My Master Man's name doesn't appear on the cover, so I'm not violating any Trademarks either, although I doubt Marvel has plans to trademark a Nazi super villain comic book.

The first Master Man was actually published by Fawcett Comics until DC threatened to sue them in the 40's, then they ditched it. Aside from Marvel's Nazi, there's another Master Man that's a villain of Kid Eternity. My version, aka Eze (Eh Zay; which is an Igbo name that means King or Chieftain,) Thunder, was always going to be from Nigeria because I don't like what big oil is doing there and at one point, Eze is going to get some payback for his people.

After I finished the ashcan version in 2011, I wanted Eze to have a code name and so I started to research Nigerian folklore for strongmen to see if anything would jump out and boy did it ever.

http://www.aaronshep.com/stories/021.html

Master Man was a perfect fit for Eze, so I contacted the author of that short story, Aaron Shepard and asked him permission to use the name for my Nigerian hero. He immediately pointed out that character names can't be copyrighted but he gave me permission to use it anyways.

Sounds like u got all ur bases covered so do your thing, bro. :D

The 13th Sign
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post

Postby The 13th Sign » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:13 pm

What was the hardest part for you? I mean with the self-publishing.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Draco x wrote:
Sounds like u got all ur bases covered so do your thing, bro. :D

Thanks man, will do! 8)

The 13th Sign wrote:What was the hardest part for you? I mean with the self-publishing.

Distribution and marketing of the finished product are definitely the biggest obstacles.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Creator's Corner