Advertisement

Avengers World #1 (Spoilerish)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Avengers World #1 (Spoilerish)

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 am

Avengers World #1 - loved it! It looks like this is where a lot of the plotlines Hickman started in Avengers are coming to fruition as the main book is seemingly starting on a collision course with the events in New Avengers. And they all probably have roots in actions taken by Ex Nihlo in his Garden way back in Avengers #1.

A.I.M. and The Hand look like to be two of the main antagonists of the series. Both have connections to the Origin Bombs, which is bound to give the Avengers a lot of trouble.

Best part of the issue: Bruce Banner's continued evolution as a foil to Captain America (and presumably Iron Man). He started standing up to them back in Avengers #17, and it looks like he's taking a higher profile on the team. Hope what Waid plans in the new Hulk series won't deter any what Hickman might have planned.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Avengers World #1 (Spoilerish)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:41 pm

I’m not really sure why we need yet another Avengers title, but hey, they sell, and it’s more Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer out in the world, which can only be a good thing. This title, whilst featuring pretty much the same cast as the main Avengers book, does have a different raison d’etre it seems. In the wake of Infinity, the Avengers have declared the whole of the world under their protection, and as such, have decided to become more closely allied with SHIELD and work with them to protect the world. I’m guessing this will mean that Avengers will deal a bit more with cosmic, outer-space things, so they aren’t stepping on each other’s toes too much.

The story here focuses on Captain America’s first day of really, properly liaising with SHIELD, as he and Bruce Banner are aboard the Heli-Carrier to talk with Maria Hill and co-ordinate the Avengers around the world. The dialogue between Cap, Banner and Hill is all very good stuff, and I think it’s here that the collaboration between Hickman and Spencer shines brightest. For all of his many skills as a writer, I don’t think Hickman’s dialogue is that good or natural or fun, but Spencer’s most definitely is (read Superior Foes everyone! Read it twice!) and when the two combine, the Avengers feel more like people than just chesspieces in an epic, cosmic game. There are several crises going on around the globe, and each has a group of Avengers sent to deal with it.

Harsh weather is attacking the Eastern seaboard, and I do mean attacking, as it looks like it’s being planned, so Thor, Hyperion and Captain Marvel are dealing with that. The people of Madripoor are rioting for some unknown reason, so Black Widow, Falcon, Shang-Chi and (duh) Wolverine are there. In Italy, a whole town has just simply disappeared, so Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Nightmask and Starbrand investigate. Splitting this very large team up into groups works very well as, just like with Spencer’s dialogue, it allows the characters a bit more focus. It turns out that the force behind the storms attacking the East Coast is coming from AIM Island, so a final group, consisting of Smasher, Cannonball and Sunspot are sent there to deal with AIM.

But it’s not going to be that simple, it seems like all of these various threats are the handiwork of AIM, and they soon escalate very quickly. In Madripoor, Gorgon is back (I miss Secret Warriors, so this was a cool return to that for Hickman) and causing the rioting by ‘waking the beast’, and in this case, that beast is Madripoor itself. Yep, Madripoor is not just an island, it’s actually resting on the top of a giant fuck-off dragon, which made for a truly surprising moment and a great visual. As I said, all of the other situations go FUBAR pretty quick too, Spider-Woman’s group finds a weird stone cube thing, which teleports them underground to ‘the city of the dead’ and when Smasher tries to, well, smash into AIM Island, she is met by a robot who blasts her with a laser. AIM Island is growing and changing, it’s not an Island anymore, it’s an Empire. The issue ends with the reveal that, yep, this is all down to AIM, and the introduction of their mysterious new leader, who I’m guessing is the new Scientist Supreme. AIM have been a consistent presence in Hickman’s main Avengers title, so it’s very cool to see them take the centre-stage here, having kind of been forgotten about during Infinity.

The artwork here comes from Stefano Caselli, who is one of my favourite artists, and he really suits this book. It makes sense, he’s drawn previous issues of Avengers from this writing team, and he worked with Hickman even before that on Secret Warriors.

So yes, whilst we probably don’t need this book, it’s still well worth reading, and if you dig what Hickman’s been doing with the other titles, this is well worth reading, especially as it’s essentially taking the place of the double-shipped second issue of Avengers we used to get.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Punchy wrote:I’m not really sure why we need yet another Avengers title, but hey, they sell, and it’s more Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer out in the world, which can only be a good thing. This title, whilst featuring pretty much the same cast as the main Avengers book, does have a different raison d’etre it seems. In the wake of Infinity, the Avengers have declared the whole of the world under their protection, and as such, have decided to become more closely allied with SHIELD and work with them to protect the world. I’m guessing this will mean that Avengers will deal a bit more with cosmic, outer-space things, so they aren’t stepping on each other’s toes too much.

I think the new title was created the allow Hickman to take a breather by using a co-writer for one of the three Avengers issues he had been writing every month (two Avengers, one New Avengers). I think it also may help to speed his storytelling some, by allowing for some of the Origin Bomb-related stuff to go in one title, and the more cosmic "The System is Broken: stuff to go in Avengers.

The story here focuses on Captain America’s first day of really, properly liaising with SHIELD, as he and Bruce Banner are aboard the Heli-Carrier to talk with Maria Hill and co-ordinate the Avengers around the world. The dialogue between Cap, Banner and Hill is all very good stuff, and I think it’s here that the collaboration between Hickman and Spencer shines brightest. For all of his many skills as a writer, I don’t think Hickman’s dialogue is that good or natural or fun, but Spencer’s most definitely is (read Superior Foes everyone! Read it twice!) and when the two combine, the Avengers feel more like people than just chesspieces in an epic, cosmic game. There are several crises going on around the globe, and each has a group of Avengers sent to deal with it.

Harsh weather is attacking the Eastern seaboard, and I do mean attacking, as it looks like it’s being planned, so Thor, Hyperion and Captain Marvel are dealing with that. The people of Madripoor are rioting for some unknown reason, so Black Widow, Falcon, Shang-Chi and (duh) Wolverine are there. In Italy, a whole town has just simply disappeared, so Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Nightmask and Starbrand investigate. Splitting this very large team up into groups works very well as, just like with Spencer’s dialogue, it allows the characters a bit more focus. It turns out that the force behind the storms attacking the East Coast is coming from AIM Island, so a final group, consisting of Smasher, Cannonball and Sunspot are sent there to deal with AIM.

But it’s not going to be that simple, it seems like all of these various threats are the handiwork of AIM, and they soon escalate very quickly. In Madripoor, Gorgon is back (I miss Secret Warriors, so this was a cool return to that for Hickman) and causing the rioting by ‘waking the beast’, and in this case, that beast is Madripoor itself. Yep, Madripoor is not just an island, it’s actually resting on the top of a giant fuck-off dragon, which made for a truly surprising moment and a great visual. As I said, all of the other situations go FUBAR pretty quick too, Spider-Woman’s group finds a weird stone cube thing, which teleports them underground to ‘the city of the dead’ and when Smasher tries to, well, smash into AIM Island, she is met by a robot who blasts her with a laser. AIM Island is growing and changing, it’s not an Island anymore, it’s an Empire. The issue ends with the reveal that, yep, this is all down to AIM, and the introduction of their mysterious new leader, who I’m guessing is the new Scientist Supreme. AIM have been a consistent presence in Hickman’s main Avengers title, so it’s very cool to see them take the centre-stage here, having kind of been forgotten about during Infinity.

I'm not sure yet if everything is being orchestrated by A.I.M. I do believe that the events the Avengers are having to deal with in the first issue are all Origin Bomb related in one way or another.

The artwork here comes from Stefano Caselli, who is one of my favourite artists, and he really suits this book. It makes sense, he’s drawn previous issues of Avengers from this writing team, and he worked with Hickman even before that on Secret Warriors.

So yes, whilst we probably don’t need this book, it’s still well worth reading, and if you dig what Hickman’s been doing with the other titles, this is well worth reading, especially as it’s essentially taking the place of the double-shipped second issue of Avengers we used to get.
[/quote]

Artwork was nice.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 148 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Eh. I've never been less interested in the Avengers. Why not just call them Agents of Shield and be done with it.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:10 am

alaska1125 wrote:Eh. I've never been less interested in the Avengers. Why not just call them Agents of Shield and be done with it.

Or Avengers Of Shield better yet. :D :D :D

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand