Advertisement

'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Network's Schedule

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 232 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 am

It's January, and there's still no sign of the animated program.

Source: New “Beware The Batman” Not On Cartoon Network January 2014 Schedule

Though it's been a busy few weeks, World's Finest noticed something particular: Cartoon Network's January schedule has hide, nor hair of any new episodes of Beware the Batman. When the series was yanked in October (a fate that befall its two preducessors), it was assumed by Batman himself, actor Anthony Ruivivar that the show would return in January. Well, that doesn't appear to be the case. The last tweet the actor gave on the subject was December 29:

Worse, also reported on by World's Finest is this fact; when they contacted a Cartoon Network representative and the answer they gave was this: "Updates will be forthcoming soon about future plans for Beware The Batman." It should be noted that last night a brand new episode of Teen Titans Go! did air and will continue airing new episodes. Production on Beware the Batman still ongoing and there's over sixteen episodes of it's first season that haven't aired yet. Though most importantly, it's been over a week since World's Finest put two-and-two together. 

The show hasn't done as well as Teen Titans Go! has been doing. Even more, the topic of the show itself spurred the now legendary conversation between Paul Dini and Kevin Smith on the later's podcast. Are we watching yet another show be torpodeoed because it isn't a success in merchindising or as Teen Titans Go! has been, and also way cheaper to produce?

It's something to consider as we await news to which we will update you of any new details.

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Re: 'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Network'

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

Is there merchandise for the new TTG show? I know they have that new spinoff comic for D2, but that only has 2 issues, I think.
I know TTGShow gets great ratings, but all CN's complaints are about merchandise. Much as I found fault with Young Justice, it had a lot of VERY dedicated fans, yet CN said it didn't sell enough crap, so CANCELLED.
Aside from that D2 spinoff comic, I've never even HEARD of TTGShow selling anything.
But I do live under a rock.
XD :D

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Is there merchandise for the new TTG show? I know they have that new spinoff comic for D2, but that only has 2 issues, I think.
I know TTGShow gets great ratings, but all CN's complaints are about merchandise. Much as I found fault with Young Justice, it had a lot of VERY dedicated fans, yet CN said it didn't sell enough crap, so CANCELLED.
Aside from that D2 spinoff comic, I've never even HEARD of TTGShow selling anything.
But I do live under a rock.
XD :D

They do have an action figure line. I haven't only seen the line once. So I'm assuming it sells like hot cakes.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Zechs wrote:
They do have an action figure line. I haven't only seen the line once. So I'm assuming it sells like hot cakes.

Considering the wacky nature of the show, I see the toys as being more like Mr. Potato Head dolls... when you think about what they do to each other in the show, they may as well come to pieces that are inter-changeable.
How big are the action figures? Forget that I'm too damn lazy to just look it up myself... instead think of it as my worshipping your amazing brain. Yes--that's it--I'm not lazy, I just want to see things in "Zechs Vision"! ..........
I take it all back, I'm going to look it up now.
Dont... dont tell me anything more... >_>

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:08 pm

3.75" Pop! Vinyl figures are coming out in February:

http://comicsalliance.com/teen-titans-go-funko-pop-vinyl/

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Here's some 5" figures and some plushies

http://www.dccollectors.com/2013/09/new-teen-titans-go-figures-found-at-retail/

I want the Trigon plushie :twisted: Every 4-9 year old kid should have one :roll:

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 233 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Much as I found fault with Young Justice, it had a lot of VERY dedicated fans, yet CN said it didn't sell enough crap, so CANCELLED.

Funny thing was, the merch was crazy-pricey. $30 for a figure that, in lines like DCU's BAF, are for half that, or less? And why? Because they thought it'd be neat to include bulky stands. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad per se (speaking as someone who bought Artemis and Aqualad...at discount), but it's not really what anyone was asking for. I mean, even the other DCU figures, BAF or not, only come with one or two accessories at best.

I would also argue that they didn't advertise for any of the figures. Not the super-articulated ones, not the mentor/protégé 2-packs...none of it. Then again, they didn't advertise for other DCU figures much at all, and they still sell. On the other hand, those are for older collectors, who have ways of finding out about them besides TV and comic ads.

I do wonder what is up with their advertising folks. Much as I've done it myself, one can't simply cry "conspiracy" or "incompetence" every time a show gets axed due to low merchandise figures (pardon the pun). But when you hear that a company wanted to make toys for "Symbionic Titan", CN said no, then canned the series for lack of merchandise...it really makes you wonder.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 415 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm

SporkBot wrote:
Funny thing was, the merch was crazy-pricey. $30 for a figure that, in lines like DCU's BAF, are for half that, or less? And why? Because they thought it'd be neat to include bulky stands. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad per se (speaking as someone who bought Artemis and Aqualad...at discount), but it's not really what anyone was asking for. I mean, even the other DCU figures, BAF or not, only come with one or two accessories at best.

I would also argue that they didn't advertise for any of the figures. Not the super-articulated ones, not the mentor/protégé 2-packs...none of it. Then again, they didn't advertise for other DCU figures much at all, and they still sell. On the other hand, those are for older collectors, who have ways of finding out about them besides TV and comic ads.

I do wonder what is up with their advertising folks. Much as I've done it myself, one can't simply cry "conspiracy" or "incompetence" every time a show gets axed due to low merchandise figures (pardon the pun). But when you hear that a company wanted to make toys for "Symbionic Titan", CN said no, then canned the series for lack of merchandise...it really makes you wonder.

What it sounds like to me is Cartoon Network only wants their in house creations like Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc to be successful. They market the hell outta those shows and make actual cool merchandise for those shows that people want to buy. They made crappy Young Justice toys that no one wanted, they never marketed them or the show and never tried to branch out with any other merchandise for the show either.
ImageImageImage

Carey Adams
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: 'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Network's Schedule

Postby Carey Adams » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 pm

I gave up on Cartoon Network and DCU after their treatment of Young Justice. Actually, I *should* have learned my lesson after what they did to Paul Dini and Tower Prep. They strung him along for months, refusing to outright cancel it or give him answers. I now know better. I'm not getting involved in any CN/DC partnerships. I hope DC finds another network like Marvel has with Disney. The old BTAS episodes air on HUB, but I think that's owned by VIacom/Hasbro just like CN so, who knows.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:How big are the action figures? Forget that I'm too damn lazy to just look it up myself... instead think of it as my worshipping your amazing brain. Yes--that's it--I'm not lazy, I just want to see things in "Zechs Vision"! ..........
I take it all back, I'm going to look it up now.
Dont... dont tell me anything more... >_>

Yeah, I don't know why you even considered such a thing... :P

Herald
biny little tird

Re: RE: 'Beware the Batman' Still Not Listed on Cartoon Netw

Postby Herald » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 pm

FBtron wrote:I gave up on Cartoon Network and DCU after their treatment of Young Justice. Actually, I *should* have learned my lesson after what they did to Paul Dini and Tower Prep. They strung him along for months, refusing to outright cancel it or give him answers. I now know better. I'm not getting involved in any CN/DC partnerships. I hope DC finds another network like Marvel has with Disney. The old BTAS episodes air on HUB, but I think that's owned by VIacom/Hasbro just like CN so, who knows.

Cartoon Network is a Time Warner company, like Warner Bros. and DC Comics; it's not owned by Hasbro.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Agent of the Bat wrote:What it sounds like to me is Cartoon Network only wants their in house creations like Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc to be successful. They market the hell outta those shows and make actual cool merchandise for those shows that people want to buy.

BINGO. As you mentioned, Cartoon Network gets the money from the merchandise based on shows they create, whereas they get nothing from merchandise from shows they did not create, like Beware the Batman. So they have little reason to care very much about shows they don't own. This is also why they stopped showing anime for awhile.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Herald wrote:
BINGO. As you mentioned, Cartoon Network gets the money from the merchandise based on shows they create, whereas they get nothing from merchandise from shows they did not create, like Beware the Batman. So they have little reason to care very much about shows they don't own. This is also why they stopped showing anime for awhile.

And the only reason that's back is due to DeMarco and viewer demand.

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 233 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Agent of the Bat wrote:What it sounds like to me is Cartoon Network only wants their in house creations like Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc to be successful. They market the hell outta those shows and make actual cool merchandise for those shows that people want to buy.

Herald wrote:BINGO. As you mentioned, Cartoon Network gets the money from the merchandise based on shows they create, whereas they get nothing from merchandise from shows they did not create, like Beware the Batman. So they have little reason to care very much about shows they don't own. This is also why they stopped showing anime for awhile.

I can't help but feel a disconnect here. As you also said,

Herald wrote:Cartoon Network is a Time Warner company, like Warner Bros. and DC Comics; it's not owned by Hasbro.

So, if they're intentionally sabotaging shows that cost serious money-dollars to make like YJ or Beware, then CN is just causing strife for one part (DC Comics) of the company whole (Time Warner/Warner Bros.). It's like the thumb trying to sabotage the functionality of the middle finger because it doesn't get the satisfaction of telling people "eff you!" when juxtaposed to the hands other, folded digits. You'd think they'd be getting in trouble from the higher-ups.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 415 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 pm

SporkBot wrote:

I can't help but feel a disconnect here. As you also said,

So, if they're intentionally sabotaging shows that cost serious money-dollars to make like YJ or Beware, then CN is just causing strife for one part (DC Comics) of the company whole (Time Warner/Warner Bros.). It's like the thumb trying to sabotage the functionality of the middle finger because it doesn't get the satisfaction of telling people "eff you!" when juxtaposed to the hands other, folded digits. You'd think they'd be getting in trouble from the higher-ups.

Yeah when you put it like that it doesn't make sense at all. If they are all under one parent company, that being Warner Bros, then you would think that would want all the shows to be successful. Maybe the original content shows like Adventure Time and Regular show are done by in house studios where shows like YJ or Beware the Batman have to be out sourced to more expensive studios to be made :smt102

I mean I know that CN stopped airing so many non original CN programming because it was cheaper to make their own shows instead of paying the rights to show other cartoons. Sucks none the less because there really is no other option for cartoon viewing much anymore. Even most kid networks like Nickelodeon, Disney, etc show more live action programming than they do cartoons, and sadly most of the cartoons they do show aren't worth watching with the exception of a few.

Makes me really sad because when I was a kid, yes the "good ol' days", I would come home and watch cartoons every day after school. Thundercats, GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers, etc, and on Saturday mornings ABC, CBS, NBC, and eventually FOX and CW had blocks of Saturday morning cartoons. Now you have to have Diseny XD, The Hub, or Cartoon Network to get Saturday morning toons. I think CW is the only basic cable or non cable channel that has any type of Saturday morning cartoons.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum