Advertisement

The Cover Poll Poll!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

How Do You Prefer Your COTW Art

With Trade Dress
45%
Clean Art
32%
No Preference
23%

Total votes : 22

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

The Cover Poll Poll!

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:00 am

There has recently been a debate in the Cover of the Week threads over whether nominations should be clean art or should have trade dress. In other words:

or

I tend to agree with the argument that it takes a mixture of art and trade dress to make a good cover and that we are not looking for the most striking pin-ups of the week, but I know that others disagree. So I'm putting it to the vote: state a preference!

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: The Cover Poll Poll!

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:40 am

For me it's "Cover of the Week" as in what one would see when holding the book in one's hands (or screen for the digital users).

You can buy this.

You can't buy this.

In my opinion, it's not a 'cover' until it's published with all it's accouterments . Until then it's just a drawing.

Otherwise, if the books title dost offend thee so, let's just go back to the old days when retailers would rip the dress right off the cover for their returns.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 pm

I fall into cover dress camp and this is mostly because I do believe in the thought that a cover is more than just the art. There is also a more practical reason for my position though, and it's some thing I've mentioned a couple of times before in the cover of the week threads. Whenever I see cover art without the cover dress, I'm always suspicious that a mistake might have been made and what's being nominated may not actually be from a cover. There is a fear I have of something winning cover of the week when it isn't a cover at all.

It's only happened once that I know of that a "cover" that wasn't a cover has made the final list of nominees. The problem is that the thought then comes into play that if it's happened once, it can happen again. It seems silly to have that possibility in place when it can be removed by simply putting in a rule that cover dress has to be included when nominating a cover.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Dynamite and other publishers offer 'virgin art' variants. And the absence of logos, numbers or any other details does not invalidate them as covers.

Pizza Dog
cheese

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Awesomesauce

Postby Pizza Dog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Wow!! The voting is actually quite close :shock:
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Sheffield Film & Comic Con '14 - Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:55 pm

We should feel free to post either clean art or trade dress. This decision should rest in the poster's hands, after all, if you want to nominate a cover it's up to you to find the image and upload it here.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 am

I agree with Arion.

Furthermore, who the fuck is excited about a fuckin' bar code on their comic covers?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:I agree with Arion.

Furthermore, who the fuck is excited about a fuckin' bar code on their comic covers?

I'm not excited about it, I just feel that if we're going to vote on a cover, it should be the actual cover as it sits on the stand. If somebody screws up and the bar code covers up something important, that fact should be a part of the voter's assessment. If there is an ugly advertisement banner, that should be a part of the voter's assessment. If the series title is placed badly, this should be a part of the voter's assessment. To pretend that these things don't exist and aren't factors making up the whole picture about whether or not something works as a cover just seems silly to me.

Of course they things are factors. Why on Earth shouldn't they be? Why on Earth shouldn't they be considered? These are the things I don't understand about the people who don't want to include the cover dress. How can you guys nominate and vote on the cover as if this stuff doesn't exist? :smt102

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Look, I didn't mean to stir the pot here. My view is basically allow both. I get the arguments for the trade dress. That said, if a dress-free cover bugs you, don't vote for it. I'm unaware of the situation where one that wasn't truly a cover made it into the poll, but that really seems like a one-off. Most of the regulars who contribute catch errors like that.

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:34 pm

BTW, I'm sure it's unintentional, but I had to laugh when I went to the poll and saw that my previously dress-free nomination now has the trade dress. :)

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:40 pm

alaska1125 wrote:Look, I didn't mean to stir the pot here. My view is basically allow both. I get the arguments for the trade dress. That said, if a dress-free cover bugs you, don't vote for it. I'm unaware of the situation where one that wasn't truly a cover made it into the poll, but that really seems like a one-off. Most of the regulars who contribute catch errors like that.

If in the end if things don't change I can deal with it. I don't really like the current situation, and like I said, I don't truly understand why you guys even want to nominate covers without the cover dress, but I've dealt with it up until now and I can continue to do so.

If covers are nominated without the cover dress I just won't vote for them, just as I have up until now. In the end, I have nothing personal against you guys. It's your position I have a problem with, and you're position alone.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:41 pm

alaska1125 wrote:BTW, I'm sure it's unintentional, but I had to laugh when I went to the poll and saw that my previously dress-free nomination now has the trade dress. :)

Amoebas seconded it by putting the cover dress in place. I think that's why Nieto went with that version. :)

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Amoebas seconded it by putting the cover dress in place. I think that's why Nieto went with that version. :)

The funny thing? It still think it works. Go figure.

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
If in the end if things don't change I can deal with it. I don't really like the current situation, and like I said, I don't truly understand why you guys even want to nominate covers without the cover dress, but I've dealt with it up until now and I can continue to do so.

If covers are nominated without the cover dress I just won't vote for them, just as I have up until now. In the end, I have nothing personal against you guys. It's your position I have a problem with, and you're position alone.

Agreed. My thought was we were voting for the best cover art. I realize that apparently I'm mistaken since the poll isn't "Best Cover Art". Not backing down, but acknowledging the point. Since this poll is basically split down the middle, I feel like we should just move on.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I'm not excited about it, I just feel that if we're going to vote on a cover, it should be the actual cover as it sits on the stand. If somebody screws up and the bar code covers up something important, that fact should be a part of the voter's assessment. If there is an ugly advertisement banner, that should be a part of the voter's assessment. If the series title is placed badly, this should be a part of the voter's assessment. To pretend that these things don't exist and aren't factors making up the whole picture about whether or not something works as a cover just seems silly to me.

Of course they things are factors. Why on Earth shouldn't they be? Why on Earth shouldn't they be considered? These are the things I don't understand about the people who don't want to include the cover dress. How can you guys nominate and vote on the cover as if this stuff doesn't exist? :smt102

My point is, and I hope no one takes it the wrong way, we shouldn't feel angry or upset about what kind of cover we're posting in the thread. Some will prefer trade dress others cover art, and that's fine. We shouldn't have rules about this. Let's keep things casual and welcoming to both political parties (the trade-dressers and the cover-artsies).

alaska1125 wrote:Agreed. My thought was we were voting for the best cover art. I realize that apparently I'm mistaken since the poll isn't "Best Cover Art". Not backing down, but acknowledging the point. Since this poll is basically split down the middle, I feel like we should just move on.

It's a tie ! Amazing, innit?

We should keep things as they are. Relaxed and fun. Nominate whatever cover you want and decide what image to post in the thread (trade dress or cover art).

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand