Advertisement

Swamp Thing #27 (They're women, not playthings Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Swamp Thing #27 (They're women, not playthings Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:27 am

Well, that happened quicker than I expected. I thought that Jason Woodrue would be the Avatar of the Green for longer than 2 issues, but even with the quick wrap-up, this was a very good issue, and one that once again, changes things up a hell of a lot for Swamp Thing, as he may very well be more powerful than ever at the end of it.

After last issue showed what Seeder was up to on Earth, this one was all about Alec Holland being trapped inside The Green, and trying to make his way out and stop his enemy. The Wolf tells him that he can’t leave, and tries to make him stay, first by creating plant versions of Abby Arcane and Capucine that Swamp Thing could fuck to his heart’s content, and then by producing a fruit that he could eat to make him sleep through Seeder’s tenure and move on. Holland of course rejects all of this, so The Wolf leads him to the one person who may be able to help him, the incredibly creepy Lady Weeds.

It turns out that the way to break through from The Green and back to the Earth is to go to where the connection is most strong… The Parliament Of Trees. Swamp Thing and Lady Weeds go to see the Parliament from their end, which is a bunch of Swamp Things tethered to those trees in the swamp. There’s no time for Swamp Thing to try and get voted into the Parliament, so basically their only option is to fight. Lady Weeds cuts the tether, and it is on. I liked seeing a new bunch of former avatars, including a Russian Cossack, a Scottish warrior, and best of all, a Dinosaur. This fight is pretty damn fun, and it ends with Alec outsmarting everyone, including Lady Weeds, and bursting through, back into the Real World as a Parliament Tree, and luring Seeder to him so he can take his powers back.

I’m not sure if the next sequence, where Swamp Thing turns the whole planet green is actually happening or just Soule showing us what he’s promising The Green he’ll do, but it was effective, and in the end, Holland is back as the Undisputed Swamp Thing, and on top of that, he seems to have shut down the former Avatars too, giving them the fruit of forgetfulness and putting them to sleep forever. He even manages to not kill Woodrue, as he places him in the Green as well (which is probably a bad idea, he’s going to return eventually).

The art from Jesus Saiz here was brilliant throughout, he’s being asked to do a lot of weird, odd stuff by Soule, and he pulls it off, making story elements and characters that could come across as ridiculous, really work. I’m very intrigued as to what the new and improved Swamp Thing is going to be like, especially because he now (presumably) won’t have a load of other voices in his head telling him what to do. Has he actually turned the planet green? Is he now a villain? I have no idea, and I love that. Soule is kicking ass on this book for sure.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Swamp Thing #27 (They're women, not playthings Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 am

I agree, this issue reconciled things pretty quickly - which is a shame as I love this book under Soule and would have liked to have seen Alec's search for escape go on (which is weird because I posted how poorly an escape was executed by the writer over in the latest Green Lantern thread ).

This issue ends with a major status quo change for Swamp Thing. He's on his own for the first time since Moore created the Parliament back in '86. I have no doubt they'll be back (because Lady Weed is just too awesome to be gone for long) but with every new issue of Swamp Thing, I continue to be amazed how reluctant I was to continue with this book post Snyder - and how glad I am that I did.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 pm

I enjoyed this issue, but not as much as you two. I don't know, it just seemed like the Seeder story ended a bit too abruptly for my liking. Having said that though, and despite the problems I had with this issue, it was still way better than most other stuff that DC is publishing right now.

Thank you Troy for the sig

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 pm

I also would've liked to have seen a few more issues dedicated to Seeder/evil Swampy, but at the same time I think there's a lot to be said for leaving the audience wanting more. With Animal Man finishing up, Swamp Thing looks set to claim the mantle as my fave ongoing from either of the Big Two.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand