Advertisement

Miracleman #1 (I'm back! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Miracleman #1 (I'm back! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:49 pm

In the world of comics, there are lot of ‘lost’ projects, and even moreso in the world of Alan Moore. The (Big) number(s) of Moore comics that have been unfinished, or mired in controversy is as long as his beard, and the crown jewel of that beard is Miracleman/Marvelman. I won’t go into any detail about it here, better people than me have explained in detail, but basically, Miracleman is like Moore’s Magnificent Ambersons, a classic that has been lost and unable to be read legally. However, what once was lost has now been found. Marvel sorted out all of the legal brouhahas, and this lost classic can be read again, and for people like me, who were too young or not even born to be able read it at the time (and I don’t like to torrent stuff), can be read for the first time. I’m a big Alan Moore fan, so I was very exicted to finally read this seminal story, and I was not disappointed. This first issue was very enjoyable indeed, and although there is a big problem with the pricing, it was well worth the wait.

The issue begins with a classic Miracleman story from his creator, Mick Anglo, a simple tale of our hero and his family taking on a group of evil invaders from the future, with appealingly old-fashioned art. This story then segues, thanks to a Nietzsche quote, into Moore’s story. Of course, Alan Moore’s name doesn’t actually appear anywhere in this comic, again, there’s that controversy. It is weird to read a credit of ‘The Original Writer’, but the words in the bubbles haven’t changed. This is still Alan Moore, and it’s still damn good comics. I don’t really know if I should bother doing my usual plot recapping thing with these comics, given that these stories originally appeared over 30 years ago and most of you will already know what happens. But basically, Moore immediately moves away from the whimsical world of the opening story, and into a dark, realistic depiction of 1980s Britain.

Michael Moran has forgotten he is Miracleman, but has been having dreams about it that cause him terrible pain. It’s not until he goes to cover a Nuclear Protest in his job as a journalist that the truth comes back to him. This protest is interrupted by some terrorists, which leads to Moran remembering the magic word ‘Kimota’ and becoming Miracleman once more. He defeats the badguys, and heads home to his wife to explain his secret past as superhero. The issue ends with a mysterious figure finding out that Miracleman is back, and reacting badly. I think I know who it is, but I’m not sure.

It’s clear from these first 2 stories that the reputation this series has is deserved, as it is everything that’s so good about Alan Moore. The dialogue is excellent, and the deconstruction of the superhero genre is spot-on, so much cleverer than what stories like this and Watchmen would inspire. Plus, I know that the best is yet to come.

The artwork from Garry Leach is also fantastic, perfect for the realistic tone of the story, and the restored colouring looks great. I’m glad I chose to read the story in this form, rather than badly coloured scans on a computer.

But as I said, this isn’t all brilliant, as the issue is definitely over-priced, it’s $5.99 for only 16 pages of Moore’s story, and the rest is a load of filler material and Mick Anglo stories. Let’s face it here, Moore and Gaiman’s stories are the only Miracleman anybody wants to read. Mick Anglo deserves credit for creating the character, but he was no comic book genius, and whilst his silly stories do show just how deep Moore’s deconstruction was, I don’t really want to read them. He was told to rip-off Captain Marvel, and he did, it’s hardly worth more page-space than the actually good comics he inspired. This all sounds very harsh towards Anglo, and it probably is, but still, it’s too much to pay for poor man’s Captain Marvel stories in black and white. In future, I want all-Moore, all the time. Sorry, all-The Original Writer, all the time.

But anyway, it’s great to have this lost classic back and freely available, I can’t wait to read the rest, and eventually, to have Neil Gaiman finish it all off. If you’ve never read Miracleman, now’s the time to start, and if you have, hey, read it again, the colours actually look good now. Just maybe wait until it’s a bit cheaper.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 271 posts

Re: Miracleman #1 (I'm back! Spoilers)

Postby doombug » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Did you really just put "spoilers" on a comic that is almost 30 years old? :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1179 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 pm

The thing about Miracle Man was not the one story, but the over all story that makes it work as a classic. All the elements brought together truly are what made the character so interesting. It takes up to the final battle in London to complete the true first story.

It'll be interesting to read your take once that's done.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:17 pm

doombug wrote:Did you really just put "spoilers" on a comic that is almost 30 years old? :lol:

Yes, it's 30 years old but new to many people.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1179 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yes, it's 30 years old but new to many people.

Plus some would complain at you for not doing so if you had not.

This is a recoloured version of something that's been out of print since the early 90s.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:53 pm

Punchy wrote: as the issue is definitely over-priced, it’s $5.99 for only 16 pages of Moore’s story, and the rest is a load of filler material and Mick Anglo stories. Let’s face it here, Moore and Gaiman’s stories are the only Miracleman anybody wants to read.

16 pages?
I count 24 pages by Moore (and yes, this is way overpriced).

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand