Advertisement

Fantastic Four #16 (These heated dogs Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Fantastic Four #16 (These heated dogs Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Karl Kesel wraps up this volume of Fantastic Four, and whilst this run will always be a bit of a missed opportunity due to Matt Fraction’s departure and the change in writers, this was still a fun issue that mostly wraps everything up in a way that makes sense. It’s only half of the story though, as we still have to wait a week for the final issue of FF.

The bulk of this issue takes place in the so-called ‘Doomed Universe’, with our Fantastic Four and the alternate reality team having to team up and try and defeat Doom The Annihilating Conqueror, who is finally here and ripping shit up. The two teams try as hard as they can, but DTAC is way too powerful, and he even manages to send Marvel Girl back to her original time period. He’s also able to use the Time/Space Ship to have a peek at the ‘real’ Marvel Universe and see what’s going on there, which is Ant-Man going up against the ‘real’ Doom, which is cause for amusement for this Doom. He views the Marvel Universe as weak, and is going to claim it for his own, so now this guy isn’t just a threat to 1 universe, but all of them. Luckily (it’s not really luck, it’s explained later), just as this point, for some reason DTAC’s headquarters are blown up and he heads off to investigate.

This allows the two FFs to come up with a new plan, and use that machine from last issue to transfer the Doomed FF’s powers to the actual FF, powering them up for 4 minutes before it kills them. The new FF Squared attack DTAC and basically kick his ass, and then, the Doomed FF fly the Space/Time Ship into him, scattering him across, well, space and time, defeating him. But even though DTAC is defeated, there are still issues to be dealt with, as the FF need to give the other team’s powers back before they die. They do die, but for less than a minute, and there is a half-hearted attempt from Kesel to make us actually believe they are dead for a page or too, but we all knew it wasn’t to be.

Basically, the day is saved, but it may not be for the Marvel Universe. Because of the tampering to the FF’s powers, the universal constant of two different Fantastic Fours teaming up to take down DTAC has been broken, which is way over in FF, Scott Lang and his team are on their own. It’s a cool explanation I think, and even though I probably haven’t explained it properly myself, in the comic, it works.

The team then finally heads back to their own universe, where they are reunited with Franklin and Val, and meet up with the Old John Storm who’s been hanging around in FF. He touches Johnny, absorbs his memories and realises that he is the one who blew up Doom’s tower to cause that distraction, and so warps off to his own universe to sacrifice himself. It’s all wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey, but it works.

To honour his alternate self’s sacrifice, Johnny has a barbecue on the Moon, and we get a very fun epilogue with the Fantastic Four and the FF just hanging out with The Watcher and Silver Surfer having fun and reflecting on what’s happened. There are a few spoilers for FF #16 here, which is slightly annoying, but it was good character stuff, especially with Johnny Storm and Ant-Man. I also really liked She-Hulk and Thing’s conversation, as well as the stuff with the Watcher and his girlfriend, man, it’s actually going to be emotional when he dies.

The art for this epilogue is from Mike Allred, so I wonder if maybe we’ll see it repeated next week? It was a bit jarring to go from Ienco to Allred, but I don’t think it would have worked with Ienco’s darker style. This was a party, and it needed Allred’s cartoonish style, whereas the big fight scene needed some grittiness.

So, it’s goodbye to this era of the Fantastic Four, I’m excited for FF #16 to explain some of the stuff teased in the Barbecue, and let’s see what James Robinson has up his sleeves for Marvel’s First Family.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 376 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Fantastic Four #16 (These heated dogs Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes, it is goodbye to this era of the Fantastic Four. And good riddance.

Kudo's to Kesel for actually making most of the threads work but that's about it - because the story of those threads just wasn't very good (nor has it been since the Fraction era began).

I wish the book had ended with Old John's death. The party afterward was disappointing. Why? Why is Reed worried about Johnny? I simply can't stand this Johnny is an immature lout take on the character. It's almost like all the decades of Johnny growing since 1961 have been utterly forgotten (I blame Waid for dumbing him down way back when).

The Watcher and his new penchant for socializing, going to the bathroom and knocking up another Watcher (who remarkably is more 'interference' than Uatu). Add in that he's now an expectant father and his upcoming death will be even more of a mercy killing for this once noble character.

I wanted to like the Thing's and She-Hulk's conversation, but with Wyatt there it felt uncomfortable.

The art was so so in the first half of the book, and the Allred second half... I'm glad he's gone. He's a great talent and sometimes (like with She-Hulk) they're just awesome. But he has to be one of the worst Thing artist ever!

I'd say I'm looking forward to Robinson's take of the team next issue, but having just read the solicit for #3 (and knowing the previous solicits), I'm not hopeful.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Fantastic Four #16 (These heated dogs Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 pm

In the end, I was kind of just riding this out, hoping that things would get better. This issue was alright, but it wasn't good enough for me to want to continue into the new #1.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand