Advertisement

Hawkeye 16 (spoilers eventually)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Hawkeye 16 (spoilers eventually)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 pm

I have to say this is probably the first time I've been disappointed in Hawkeye. As I feared, Kate being the main character is giving Fraction the ability to indulge in his worst quirky dialogue impulses. If she incorporates her name into another pun, I'm about to fling my panel at the wall in disgust. This issue was also chock full of clunky dialogue like, "But like love they never made it out of L.A. in one piece."

I look forward to when Kate and Clint get paired up again, because their characters really balance each other out.

Annie Wu's art was the highlight of the issue. Her work is fucking solid. I can't wait to see where she goes once the Clint/Kate separation ends.

And--just like last issue--the presence of Elliot-Gould-As-Phillip-Marlowe-in-The-Long-Goodbye is a great choice on Fraction's part to show how he views LA.

Looking forward to some Aja art and seeing where the Clint/Barney/Clown/Tracksuit Draculas storyline is heading next (previous) issue!

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Re: Hawkeye 16 (spoilers eventually)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:05 pm

What say you, friends?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am

I think it speaks volumes that Fraction cranked out what is, by anyone's standards, a completely throwaway issue that likely has ZERO to do with advancing the ongoing plot(s) of the book, about I character I have always hated, and yet I freaking loved the issue.

"Look! It's Hercules, Iceman, Ghost Rider, Black Widow and Angel! But why? That makes no sense!" :lol: :lol:
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am

chap22 wrote:I think it speaks volumes that Fraction cranked out what is, by anyone's standards, a completely throwaway issue that likely has ZERO to do with advancing the ongoing plot(s) of the book, about I character I have always hated, and yet I freaking loved the issue.

"Look! It's Hercules, Iceman, Ghost Rider, Black Widow and Angel! But why? That makes no sense!" :lol: :lol:

The Champions joke was pretty good, chap.

The extreme Kate-banter doesn't bother you at all, though? I liked it when it would happen once or twice an issue to chide Clint. The constant stream of quips and puns is a little irritating.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Due to David Aja being a bit slow, Marvel have actually released Hawkeye #16 before #15, which is kind of confusing, but due to the current ‘1 Clint issue, 1 Kate issue’ schedule the book is one, doesn’t really matter too much, as we aren’t missing out on any important plot details at all, not that Hawkeye as a series really has plot details in general.

This issue continues Kate Bishop’s misadventures as a Private Eye in Los Angeles, and whilst it was an enjoyable read full of the usual funny moments, it didn’t come together as well as most issues of Hawkeye do, and it felt less like an actual story and more like Matt Fraction wanting to tell us all about how much he loves The Beach Boys and why we should love them too. Fraction has done similar stuff to this issue in Casanova, and it worked far better there, which means I’m not quite sure this particular music-reference heavy story didn’t come off as well. Perhaps it’s because, in Casanova, the Bowie references are surrounded by loads of time-travelly, science-fiction nonsense, where as here, the tone is very realistic, so it doesn’t seem quite so inventive. I dunno, either way, this issue did feel a little bit self-indulgent, but as I’ve said before, self-indulgence is not necessarily a bad thing.

The plot here is actually pretty simple, Kate is cycling along the highway in LA, where she comes across a rambling homeless person in the middle of the road. She takes him to her neighbour’s house, where it is revealed that this guy is actually Will Bryson, a thinly-veiled homage to Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys. Bryson had been driven slightly mad by drugs and mental illness, and also by trying to complete his magnum opus, ‘Wish’, that he’s been trying, and failing, to complete since the 1960s. All of this will be very familiar to music fans, as Wish is basically Brian Wilson’s near-mythical ‘Smile’. Bryson’s latest psychotic break came when someone stole some of his work-in-progress tracks and leaked them onto the Internet. Bryson believes that the leak was his brother’s doing, but before Kate can find out more, his Nurses come and take him back. I liked the fact that Bryson’s Nurses are meant to be somehow related to the Bellboys Kate has tangled with in the past, it looks like she has her very own Tracksuit Draculas.

Kate decides to try and help out Bryson, and she stumbles her way through somehow, much like last issue. She goes to the Library, gets in trouble for asking for help to illegally download music, receives a lecture from that Cop again, and takes a ride on a ‘Star Bus’ tour guide to find out where Bryson lives. As ever, Fraction’s inner monologue for Kate straddles the line between being awesome and incredibly annoying, especially with the variety of ‘Kate’ puns she uses. Kate certainly has a unique personality that shines through here, although once again, her old-fashionedness still rings a bit false. Inside Bryson’s house, she distracts the Nurses with a hilarious Champions reference, and finds Bryson again, who gives her a tour of his studio, but before long, the Nurses are back. After a surprisingly brutal beating, Kate is taken to see Bryson’s dying brother, and we find out that, yep, he leaked the songs, and that’s pretty much it.

This issue had a weird ending, as Kate didn’t really end up doing anything, she really is a terrible PI. After another appearance from the ghost of Philip Marlowe, we find out that Bryson’s brother died naturally, and because of that, Bryson seems to have found peace with himself, and is playing tracks from ‘Wish’ live. Kate goes to see him, and basically feels good about herself, despite the fact that again, she didn’t really do anything. Of course, that happiness is short-lived, as whilst she’s at the gig, Madame Masque (I assume) sneaks up behind her and intimidates her, which was a cool way of tying this rambling issue around to the main thrust of Kate’s stories.

I did somewhat enjoy this issue, especially Annie Wu’s art, which just gets better and better, I love the way she draws Kate’s facial expressions. I do like that I can pick up a Marvel superhero comic and have it be about something totally unexpected like The Beach Boys, but I did feel this issue was lacking. Perhaps the references were too much, perhaps it’s the fact that Kate is so terrible at her job, I don’t know, but after this, I am looking forward to returning to Clint’s story. I think this book thrives on trying new things, and here, it wasn’t really doing anything new, just referencing stuff in the same setting as #14.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm with Drake. This issue was a clunker.

First off, it was just a poor story.

Second, one couldn't help but notice how Kate threw out a THX-1138 joke, made a Nurse Ratchet reference then one about Mike Brady architecture, she knows about the Charles Manson murders and then of all people she dropped a line about Syd Barret.

Yet she has no clue who the Bryson Brothers are and thinks the Maltese Falcon is a person? :smt017

I suppose it's possible, but to me it just smacks of sloppy writing. Her quick healing ability was also jarring.

Hawkeye has been Marvel's best book for a little while now. Issues like this need to be far and few between.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm

I thought this one was miles better than #14 - although I hated #14. I much prefer Fraction's writing when he keeps the sexy/cool thing he's going for in check a little, and while he was obviously going for 'cool' in this Beach Boys mystery, I found it a lot more entertaining than the 'bad Scooby Doo episode' issue #14.

My biggest issue with #14 & #16 (and the annual, and that one about the storm) are that Clint's down-trodden, every-day Joe adventures with the Russian tracksuit mafia are just a whole heap more interesting to me than young-adult detective comics. There's definitely a place for these kind of Kate-centric stories, but I just don't think that place is my comic collection.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:20 pm

chap22 wrote:"Look! It's Hercules, Iceman, Ghost Rider, Black Widow and Angel! But why? That makes no sense!" :lol: :lol:

I loved that comment too. :lol:

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 pm

I gotta go with Chap on this one. I really enjoyed this issue.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:36 am

AngusH wrote:I thought this one was miles better than #14 - although I hated #14. I much prefer Fraction's writing when he keeps the sexy/cool thing he's going for in check a little, and while he was obviously going for 'cool' in this Beach Boys mystery, I found it a lot more entertaining than the 'bad Scooby Doo episode' issue #14.

My biggest issue with #14 & #16 (and the annual, and that one about the storm) are that Clint's down-trodden, every-day Joe adventures with the Russian tracksuit mafia are just a whole heap more interesting to me than young-adult detective comics. There's definitely a place for these kind of Kate-centric stories, but I just don't think that place is my comic collection.

Agreed. Kate works best as a comedic foil. Entire issues devoted to her are just way too cutesy.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Agreed. Kate works best as a comedic foil. Entire issues devoted to her are just way too cutesy.

I'd disagree.

I think there's enough room in this series for the humour Kate issues provide.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand