Advertisement

Justice League #27 (Karma? What's that? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Justice League #27 (Karma? What's that? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:01 pm

These Forever Evil tie-in issues continue to be very enjoyable and pretty much crucial to the ongoing story. This issue also continues a trend I’ve very much been enjoying from Johns recently, in that he really is bringing back some classic DC characters. We’ve already seen Plastic Man’s origin, as well as hints and teases about Helena Bertinelli Huntress and Ted Kord Blue Beetle, and this issue sees progress on the return of the Doom Patrol and the Metal Men to the DCU. I know for some this is too little too late, and that even when these characters do come back, they won’t be the same, but I’m personally loving it. I mean, how different can they really be? Um, don’t answer that.

This issue actually begins with the Doom Patrol, as we see two members of that team, Scorch and Karma get killed by Johnny Quick and Atomica. I’m guessing that these characters were Doom Patrol members before the New 52, but I’ve certainly never heard of them, and from the looks of the single page we get of Niles Caulder, this is going to lead to his formation of the most familiar Doom Patrol line-up, with Elasti-Girl, Negative Man and Robotman, which really, is the Doom Patrol that everyone wants to see, at least in a non-Vertigo setting. I suppose some people will be upset by this wanton character death, but I don’t mind, it’s a lot of fun seeing Johnny and Atomica be absolute dicks, and if there’s one thing the Doom Patrol is known for, it’s dying. If you get upset at characters from that team dying, I don’t think you understand the concept.

The bulk of the issue here is focused on Cyborg, as he tries to convince his dad and Professor Morrow to rebuild him. Dr Stone is initially reticent to do so, but he eventually comes around, and we do get to see them reconcile. I still have problems with the New 52 Cyborg’s origin, and how it seemed to glorify stupidity, but now that Cyborg has started to value intelligence himself, it works a lot better. To upgrade him, Cyborg needs to go into the ‘real’ Red Room and find the even more top-secret technology (lots of interesting stuff there, and I bet some of it comes into play in future JL stories, perhaps when Morrow finally becomes a villain like we know he will, hell, I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already). Johns goes into great (probably to much) detail about the new changes, but basically, the end result is a slimmed down, sleek Cyborg, who looks pretty bad-ass. I am intrigue by what this mysterious green button he has is, is it a suicide button?

Cyborg needs help to stop The Grid, so he goes looking for Platinum, and the man who created her, the man who knows the most about artificial intelligence in the DCU, Dr Will Magnus. However, what Cyborg finds isn’t very promising, as Magnus is sat alone in a dark room, moping because the Metal Man are a failure, as we saw previously in this book. I’m excited to see more of the New 52 Will Magnus and Metal Man. They are great characters, and, even though I think Grant Morrison wrote most of Magnus’ scenes in 52, Johns was surely a part of that somehow.

The art for this issue was good as usual, although because Reis was only doing layouts, it did look a little uneven, you could tell which one of Prado, Merino or Cifuentes was doing the finishes. But overall, it was still decent.

With these issues, Johns is moving the DCU forward into the future, whilst at the same time revisiting it’s past, as well as indulging in his usual villain-heavy focus. It’s pretty much the perfect encapsulation of who Geoff Johns is a writer. You decide if that’s good or bad, but for me, at the moment, it’s good.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Justice League #27 (Karma? What's that? Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 pm

"Helena Bertinelli Huntress" was resolved in Worlds' Finest #1. There was a Helena Bertinelli on the main Earth, she later died, so Huntress used Bertinelli's identity as a cover when she first came to this Earth and became active as Huntress (prior to Worlds' Finest). She retired/burned all her IDs using Bertinelli's likeness in issue #1.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:55 pm

Karma, at least, was a member of the Doom Patrol when Paul Kupperberg was writing the book. He died during the Invasion crossover.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Dr. Stone's reluctance to rebuild his son's body is baffling, at best.

"My son has been through enough! He must remain bed-ridden and crippled for the rest of his life! It's what is best for him!"

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm

"Crippled and alive" might be more preferable to him than having his only child becoming a cyborg again, going up against the Syndicate and quite possibly getting killed :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:"Crippled and alive" might be more preferable to him than having his only child becoming a cyborg again and going up against the Syndicate and quite possibly getting killed :P

"Sorry son, you're going to have to remain crippled because I can't trust you to make your own decisions."

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

nietoperz wrote:Karma, at least, was a member of the Doom Patrol when Paul Kupperberg was writing the book. He died during the Invasion crossover.

So was Scorch. I'm not sure he ever went by that name, but was killed off during Invasion. I actually think that Karma made it into Suicide Squad at some point post Invasion. Could be wrong.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:51 pm

nietoperz wrote:Karma, at least, was a member of the Doom Patrol when Paul Kupperberg was writing the book. He died during the Invasion crossover.

I totally had that run until Morrison came on ironically .. just wasn't ready for his weirdness
and the more I see Cyborg the more I think this guy belongs in the Titans. The Titans cartoon really captures where those 5 should be, and Cyborg belong with them, not the league, because frankly, he's not League material no matter how hard DC pushes that.
Cyborg needs his BFF Beast Boy - nuff said

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 pm

alaska1125 wrote:So was Scorch. I'm not sure he ever went by that name, but was killed off during Invasion. I actually think that Karma made it into Suicide Squad at some point post Invasion. Could be wrong.

Was his name not Scott? I think he actually died in Invasion 3 ... his cancer and the meta gene bomb did him in.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 pm

Yes, they mention his name in this issue as Scott Fischer.
Scorch then refers to Karma as "Wayne".

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:13 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Yes, they mention his name in this issue as Scott Fischer.
Scorch then refers to Karma as "Wayne".

I love my useless comic book memory

Tattooed Jesus
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 699 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Tattooed Jesus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:01 am

I continue to thoroughly enjoy Forever Evil and this issue was no exception. I love the streamlined new look for Cyborg and can't wait to see whats up with the Metal Men!

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 am

holtom2000 wrote:I totally had that run until Morrison came on ironically .. just wasn't ready for his weirdness
and the more I see Cyborg the more I think this guy belongs in the Titans. The Titans cartoon really captures where those 5 should be, and Cyborg belong with them, not the league, because frankly, he's not League material no matter how hard DC pushes that.
Cyborg needs his BFF Beast Boy - nuff said

He pretty much killed the Super Friends/Super Powers Team cartoon, showing he really wasn't JLA material.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:05 am

Lord Ice wrote:
He pretty much killed the Super Friends/Super Powers Team cartoon, showing he really wasn't JLA material.

ouch! burn... I didn't mind him so much in that cartoon but he was sorta the odd man out. I think that's what Johns is trying to create. Next he'll make Firestorm and Cyborg best buddies.. and Firestorm will get a crush on Wonder Woman ... and Darkseid will want to marry Wonder Woman ...

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 am

Scott 'Scorch' Fischer did indeed die from a combination of the Meta-gene bomb and leukemia in Invasion #3.
Wayne 'Karma' Hawkins was shot and killed in Suicide Squad #58 (he had one final cameo a month later in War of the Gods #3).

Doom Patrol member needs to stay away 'events'.

I always liked these two (especially Hawkins) and am not thrilled at now having to relive their deaths again.

"Made in Detroit" Love it!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand