Advertisement

Supergirl #27 Preview & Discussion

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 486 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Supergirl #27 Preview & Discussion

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm

ComicVine

DC's solicit says:
Part Two of Kara’s confrontation with the deadly new Lobo. After last issue’s shock ending, this issue we discover an even greater threat in Shay Veritas that will force Supergirl to make a deadly choice!

Written by: Tony Bedard
Art by: Yildiray Cinar, Ray McCarthy
Cover by: Giuseppe Camuncoli, Cam Smith
32 pages
$2.99
on Sale: January 22, 2014

Let the bitching commence :lol:

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 432 posts

Re: Supergirl #27 Preview & Discussion

Postby Draco x » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:45 pm

I like the cover of New Coke Lobo getting dissected-with any luck the other Lobo is supposedly the imposter will do the same when they meet.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 486 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Well, that scene
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
only lasts a short while as it turns out Lean Lobo was playing possum to get inside The Block. He then pulls a "Halloween" thought-he-was-dead-then-he-sits-up on two of Dr Veritas's assistants :lol:

Kara comes off like Wolverine-lite at times this issue but I think this is how they segue into the Red Lantern ring coming to "recruit" her.

And we get the New52 debut (?) of Blaze first created by Roger Stern back in 1990.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 pm

This wasn't a very good issue. I have to say, so far the first two issues by Tony Bedard have not impressed me. He's not as terrible a writer as Nelson was, but his characterizations leave a lot to be desired, and his dialogue is stilted and awkward. The whole story feels extremely forced.... the plot does not flow naturally at all. My guess is that a lot of it is caused by the fact that Bedard is shackled to a whole boatload of baggage from the previous writers of both Supergirl and the Superman/Action books (with Veritas and her ridiculous backstory, which I assume has been appearing in those other titles as well). I can see how it could be hard to dig out from under such a big pile of shit... and hard to come out doing anything other than stinking up the place. But still, the dialogue made me wince repeatedly, and there's really no excuse for that.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:03 pm

This was a really fun issue. Tony Bedard does a great job continuing Kara's growth, establishing Veritas' history, continuing the Lobo-story, and even introduces a new (old) character. This is a Supergirl that I can easily read and enjoy, especially compared to some of the weaker runs she's had (Matrix and Angel come to mind).

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 pm

syxxpakk wrote:This was a really fun issue. Tony Bedard does a great job continuing Kara's growth, establishing Veritas' history, continuing the Lobo-story, and even introduces a new (old) character. This is a Supergirl that I can easily read and enjoy, especially compared to some of the weaker runs she's had (Matrix and Angel come to mind).

Agree to disagree...Peter David's Supergirl was one of the best books going at the time and is still criminally underrated. It makes the current run look like dreck.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews