Advertisement

Mighty Avengers #5 (We're open Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Mighty Avengers #5 (We're open Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Another very enjoyable issue from Al Ewing and Greg Land, albeit one that sadly seems to spell the end of Superior Spider-Man’s presence in this book, I love the way Ewing writes SpOck, so whilst I’m sad to see him go, it’s what makes sense for the story he’s telling.

This issue is split between two different storylines, the first being Luke Cage and Spider-Man’s battle for control over this Avengers team. Spidey has marched right up to the doors of the Gem Theater, with Spider-Minions and Mechs backing him up, and demanding that he becomes the leader of the new ‘Superior Avengers’. Luke and Jessica obviously aren’t too happy about this, but, in a very funny moment, they have to wait for a cab to arrive to allow Dave Griffith to take Baby Danielle to safety. I love little touches like that, it showed a realistic side to being superhero parents. But once the baby is out of the way, it’s time to throw down for Mr and Mrs Cage. Spider-Man gains the upper hand thanks to a bunch of the new weapons he’s made, but the day is saved by the arrival of Luke’s lawyer, who is of course, She-Hulk.

I’m a big fan of She-Hulk, so it was great to see her finally appear in this title, and even better to see her use her legal skills to solve this fight, rather than just smash shit up. She basically says that, unless Spider-Man leaves right now, she can sue both him and the Mayor. SpOck backs down, and in a hilarious dick move, fires all of his Spiderlings. I just love Superior Spider-Man, and I will genuinely be sad when he’s gone, it’s just so entertaining, both in his own books, and in other titles like this one, where it’s played more for laughs. With the fight over, Jennifer and Jessica leave to discuss lawyer stuff (and presumably talk about Luke, who is an ex of She-Hulks), leaving Luke alone to finally, open the doors to the Mighty Avengers.

But what about the rest of the team? Well, they are busy investigating the goings on in Attilan, as Ronin explains to them just what the deal is with ‘The Deathwalkers’ and why they have to find some weird artefact. I like the character interactions here, with Spectrum clearly not trusting Ronin, which one again makes his true identity fascinating. It’s a real shame that it’s been spoiled, because if it hasn’t, I would be going mad right now. Inside Attilan, the team get caught up in the ongoing fight between Quickfire, the newly-Inhuman agent of a dodgy corporation, and a monster sent there by the Deathwalkers, a 3-headed wolf-man. This fight was very clever stuff, Ewing and Land show Quickfire’s time-stopping abilities very well, and the way the Avengers won made sense. Quickfire, before her terrigenesis, never had anything to do with the superheroic world, so she doesn’t know who she’s up against, which means she makes mistakes. She tries to freeze time around Spectrum, but you can’t slow down the speed of light, so she gets taken out. I also liked seeing White Tiger return the favour to Power Man after #3, and allow him to use her powers to defeat the Wolf-Man. In the midst of this, Ronin is able to grab the ‘Lost Talisman of Kamar-Anj’ and escape with it alone, living up toe Spectrum’s poor opinion of him.

After this issue, Ewing really has set up a lot of cool plotlines for the future, we’ve got the Deathwalkers, the Cortex corporation, and plenty of fun interpersonal interactions to look forward to. This is a very fun book, the dialogue is great, and now that the team is finally all set up, with their doors open, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Mighty Avengers #5 (We're open Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 pm

This is such a fun book. I loved the three head werewolf thing -- such a great design.

I've also still managed to stay unspoiled about Ronin. I have a theory that it's Blade, but please don't tell me if I'm correct in that guess. I want to find out for myself if I'm right or wrong.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand