Advertisement

Invincible #108 (Happy now GOSD? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Invincible #108 (Happy now GOSD? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47 pm

We’ve all been anticipating it for a while, but when it happened, I was still surprised. Yes, in this issue, Robot finally ‘turned heel’ and revealed himself to be up to some bad shit as he turned on Invincible, trapping him in an alternate dimension.

The issue starts off with Invincible and Robot preparing to head across dimensions and find out what’s going on with Angstrom Levy, and whether or not Mark can rest easy. Before this can happen though, Mark and Eve get into a big argument about whether or not he should go. Eve thinks this is too risky, that something could go wrong, and with a baby on the way, Mark should be careful. But for Mark, the reason he’s doing this is because of the baby, with Angstrom’s status a mystery, he feels like he could be attacked at any time, and that, for the sake of his family, this needs to be resolved. I can see both sides of the argument really, but Mark takes it too far when he insults Eve’s superhero career, saying she’s never dealt with big stuff like he has. Dick move man, dick move. She slaps him, and then he and Robot can begin their journey.

They head to Mohawk-Invincible’s world, which is controlled by The Viltrumuites, and are immediately brought to see Invincible by this Universe’s version of Conquest. I’m a sucker for alternate reality stories, so stuff like this, and seeing Conquest again was a real treat. When we see Mohawk-Invincible, he’s surrounded by a harem of chicks dressed to look like his lost love Atom Eve (who of course had a Mohawk in this world too) and he takes them to see what he’s doing to good ol’ Angstrom. The answer is… torture. He’s trying to work out how to get to alternate dimensions, and has him all hooked up to some nightmarish technology, which is pretty fucked-up. Mark is shocked by this, which is odd, as he was originally here to possibly kill Angstrom, but before he can do anything, Robot gets involved.

He uses some kind of sonar to incapacitate both Invincibles, kills the scientists, and in a brutal eye-popping head-squish, kills Mohawk-Invincible. He then proceeds to decapitate Angstrom. Robot is doing this because Invincible doesn’t fit into his big plans for Earth, and seeing the fact that Invincibles have the potential to conquer Earth like in this reality, he needs Mark out of the way, and rather than kill him, because he’s a friend, he’s just going to trap him in this reality. Robot steps through the door, leaving Mark behind to deal with one hell of a mess.

I can’t wait to see how Invincible is going to get out of this one, the cover to next issue seems to indicate that this universe’s version of Robot will be involved. After a few slow issues, this was the one that kicked things into high gear, and with the big #111 issue coming up, I expect fireworks from Kirkman. Ryan Ottley’s art was great as ever, nobody draws viscera and eyeballs like him, but that violence, combined with the final line of dialogue, which was ‘Holy Fuck’ raised an eyebrow for me.

This book has always been violent, but that must be the first F-bomb in Invincible-history right? It’s quite odd that a book that, at the start, was praised for being a traditional superhero comic that teens and kids should read is now full of violence and swearing. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, and I suppose those some kids and teens are now adults (like me), but it is strange.

Advertisement

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 286 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: Invincible #108 (Happy now GOSD? Spoilers)

Postby GOSD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Yes.

Next month, put it at the top of your pile. :P :wink:

Mark is so screwed.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 185 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Wait, Robot went all evil? :smt102

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Wow, this issue certainly paid off in a big way. All the way back to some of his earliest appearances, you have always known that something has been off about Robot. Every time that we come close to getting some sort of a revelation about his nefarious schemes, Kirkman always throws in some type of crazy swerve that blindsides us and completely explains Robot's true motivations. This time around, I really don't see that happening. Robot finally revealed that he intends to take over Earth and in order to do so, he has removed his biggest competition, Invincible, from the playing field. Not only that but he is also fully capable of killing a Viltrumite! Holy Crap!

Like Punchy said, obviously the next issue is going to deal with Mark going to the Robot of the world that he is currently stuck on for help but after that I have absolutely no idea where this series is headed. My main concern is that everything works out for Mark and Eve in the end but we all know that characters in Kirkman's universe are never guaranteed a happy ending, so I am actually pretty worried where things will go from here.

Speaking of Eve, I have to say that like Punchy, I saw both sides of the argument up until the point where Mark took it too far. Yes, Mark needs to make sure that he protects his family but he hit below the belt and took it too a level that it never should have went to. Obviously Eve's concerns were legitimate and she is a fiercely independent character, so when all of this is said and done I hope that she can forgive Mark. That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the changes coming to the Invincible Universe is Eve leaving at least on a temporary basis…if she survives what comes next.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:04 pm

doombug wrote:Wait, Robot went all evil? :smt102

Well, not all evil, if he was all evil, he would have just killed Invincible.

But this has been a long time coming, look at what he did in the Flaxan dimension, he was a dictator.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Punchy wrote:
Well, not all evil, if he was all evil, he would have just killed Invincible.

But this has been a long time coming, look at what he did in the Flaxan dimension, he was a dictator.

There were hints about Robot even before that.

I've been waiting for him to do this for some time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:12 pm

GOSD wrote:
There were hints about Robot even before that.

I've been waiting for him to do this for some time.

Yeah, when he was first revealed to be a deformed baby-man, I thought for sure he was going to be evil, but Kirkman subverted our expectations... until now.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:49 pm

God, I miss Invincible. Took to reading some old TPBs a few weeks back. Ah well.

Anyway, when Robot was first introduced, he looked...well, he never looked like a "good guy" to me. I mean, his face looked like a damn skull from the get-go. But I just dismissed it because many other character designs were...ah...quirky.

So much has changed in Invincible's life, it seems. Maybe I'll pick up some more recent TPBs on Amazon.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:22 pm

Strict31 wrote:God, I miss Invincible. Took to reading some old TPBs a few weeks back. Ah well.

Anyway, when Robot was first introduced, he looked...well, he never looked like a "good guy" to me. I mean, his face looked like a damn skull from the get-go. But I just dismissed it because many other character designs were...ah...quirky.

So much has changed in Invincible's life, it seems. Maybe I'll pick up some more recent TPBs on Amazon.

Where did you leave off? Issue number wise?

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:28 pm

GOSD wrote:
Where did you leave off? Issue number wise?

Shit, I can't remember. The series was already well underway by the time I got into it, so I actually started with TPBs, and once I'd gotten caught up, I picked up the monthlies. But this was years ago, man. I'd have to go digging through the boxes to find out the last issue number, and I can't even recall the storyline.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Shit, I can't remember. The series was already well underway by the time I got into it, so I actually started with TPBs, and once I'd gotten caught up, I picked up the monthlies. But this was years ago, man. I'd have to go digging through the boxes to find out the last issue number, and I can't even recall the storyline.

Did he fight Conquest yet?

If you hadn't gotten there yet, it gets SO much better... :shock: :D :smt023

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:41 pm

GOSD wrote:
Did he fight Conquest yet?

If you hadn't gotten there yet, it gets SO much better... :shock: :D :smt023

Doesn't sound familiar. Anyways, I really enjoyed the book. It just happened at a time when I stopped buying comics altogether. Frame of reference, it was right around the time of Secret Invasion at Marvel when I stopped reading. So whatever storyline was going on in Invincible at the same time, that's the last one I saw.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Doesn't sound familiar. Anyways, I really enjoyed the book. It just happened at a time when I stopped buying comics altogether. Frame of reference, it was right around the time of Secret Invasion at Marvel when I stopped reading. So whatever storyline was going on in Invincible at the same time, that's the last one I saw.

Cool. Hope you get back into it. My favorite monthly title.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand