Advertisement

Forever Evil #5 (Host irreparably damaged Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Forever Evil #5 (Host irreparably damaged Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm

This continues to be a really good crossover event story, this may surprise people, but Forever Evil is actually good. It is moving slowly though, as the ‘hero’ team only actually gets together at the end of this issue. There’s only 2 issues to resolve things, so unless Johns goes absolutely mental, I imagine there will be quite a lot of loose ends.

The first 2/3rds of this issue are split between 2 fights, one between the Lex Luthor/Batman team of resistance and a bunch of Secret Society goons and the other between Sinestro and Power Ring. Both were highly enjoyable action scenes, with David Finch delivering great, wide-screen art, but the most interesting thing about them is how they ended. Sinestro was a total bad-ass and just chops off Power Ring’s arm. You can insert your own joke about Johns’ obsession with removing limbs here, but it’s pretty much the only way to beat Power Ring. The ring flies off to find a new host, and Sinestro kills Power Ring.

The end of the larger fight comes when Deathstroke has a gun pointed right at Lex’s head (I liked Deathstroke’s comment about how Lex’s armour doesn’t have a helmet) and Lex is able to convince him to switch sides because, if the CSA were to take over the world permanently, there’d be less money in mercenary work. I’m not the biggest Deathstroke fan, but this makes sense. Sinestro soon shows up to join forces, and this ad-hoc group get ready to attack the Crime Syndicate. But who’s going to lead them? That’s the big question isn’t it? Batman tries to take charge, but he’s outnumbered, so it looks like Lex is the man. We know now that Lex is going to be on the JLA after this event, so this is the first step towards that.

Power Ring’s death has a larger impact than you might think, as it’s search for a new host sends out a ping across the multiverse which alerts the entity that destroyed Earth-3 to the fact that the Syndicate’s whereabouts. A big red Doctor Who-esque crack opens up in the sky, and it looks like that entity is coming, is it the Anti-Monitor? I reckon so. This event is just old-school fun with a nice dark edge, and I think it’s actually quite good that it’s going under the radar a bit, maybe it’s lowered expectations, but this is probably DC’s best event since Sinestro Corps War.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Forever Evil #5 (Host irreparably damaged Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Let's hope shit "goes mental" for the next 2 issues ! :twisted:

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 114 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:17 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Let's hope shit "goes mental" for the next 2 issues ! :twisted:

I certainly hope so, as much as I've enjoyed Forever Evil, it's starting to feel a bit like stealth filler the way Trinity War did. If this big bad turns out to be a re-hash of CoIE, then they've completely run out of ideas.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong... :?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 430 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Punchy wrote:This continues to be a really good crossover event story, this may surprise people, but Forever Evil is actually good. It is moving slowly though, as the ‘hero’ team only actually gets together at the end of this issue. There’s only 2 issues to resolve things, so unless Johns goes absolutely mental, I imagine there will be quite a lot of loose ends.

The first 2/3rds of this issue are split between 2 fights, one between the Lex Luthor/Batman team of resistance and a bunch of Secret Society goons and the other between Sinestro and Power Ring. Both were highly enjoyable action scenes, with David Finch delivering great, wide-screen art, but the most interesting thing about them is how they ended. Sinestro was a total bad-ass and just chops off Power Ring’s arm. You can insert your own joke about Johns’ obsession with removing limbs here, but it’s pretty much the only way to beat Power Ring. The ring flies off to find a new host, and Sinestro kills Power Ring.

The end of the larger fight comes when Deathstroke has a gun pointed right at Lex’s head (I liked Deathstroke’s comment about how Lex’s armour doesn’t have a helmet) and Lex is able to convince him to switch sides because, if the CSA were to take over the world permanently, there’d be less money in mercenary work. I’m not the biggest Deathstroke fan, but this makes sense. Sinestro soon shows up to join forces, and this ad-hoc group get ready to attack the Crime Syndicate. But who’s going to lead them? That’s the big question isn’t it? Batman tries to take charge, but he’s outnumbered, so it looks like Lex is the man. We know now that Lex is going to be on the JLA after this event, so this is the first step towards that.

Power Ring’s death has a larger impact than you might think, as it’s search for a new host sends out a ping across the multiverse which alerts the entity that destroyed Earth-3 to the fact that the Syndicate’s whereabouts. A big red Doctor Who-esque crack opens up in the sky, and it looks like that entity is coming, is it the Anti-Monitor? I reckon so. This event is just old-school fun with a nice dark edge, and I think it’s actually quite good that it’s going under the radar a bit, maybe it’s lowered expectations, but this is probably DC’s best event since Sinestro Corps War.

Well given how useless this incarnation of Power Ring was, I can't say that I miss him. As for the entity, your guess might be right or it could beImperiex possibly.
Last edited by Draco x on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Been reading Forever Evil draco, or just the reviews?

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Been reading Forever Evil draco, or just the reviews?

I don't have comics where I am at unfortunately so I do all my reading online for the time being.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 303 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 pm

I'll repost what I said in the preview thread: The way we're up to #5 of 7 already and the Injustice League is still barely assembled and they keep throwing more shit like the being that ran off the Syndicate appearing.....I can't help but feel we're on the verge of another ending that'll just bridge this into the next event.

Or this will be a mess as Johns tries to wrap everything up in 3 issues with more hotshot writing like a comic book Vince Russo.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Draco x wrote:
I don't have comics where I am at unfortunately so I do all my reading online for the time being.

So then yes you have been reading Forever Evil?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
So then yes you have been reading Forever Evil?

Pretty much.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Power Ring has been one of the best fleshed out characters in the entire run. If any of them have been worthless, it's likely Superwoman. Is it the fact that Power Ring acts like a coward that makes you think he's useless?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Power Ring has been one of the best fleshed out characters in the entire run. If any of them have been worthless, it's likely Superwoman. Is it the fact that Power Ring acts like a coward that makes you think he's useless?

I prefered the other incarnations of Power Ring over this one pretty much.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 pm

That doesn't answer the question. Is it the fact that Power Ring acts like a coward that makes you think he's useless?

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Accidentally posted this comment in the Earth 2 thread: Based on the first Justice League FE tie-in and Darkseid #1, I'm going to guess Darkseid is the big bad.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Does anyone find it ironic that this is the second time the Hal incarnation of Power Ring got killed off abruptly after how he got skewered by Omega Man in JLA a few years ago? On a flipside if they ever get a new Power Ring, I would love to see a Guy Gardner version next time around as we already got ones based on Kyle and John before.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:05 am

That really is pretty blatant, isn't it?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand