Friday, May 6, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Forever Evil #5 (Host irreparably damaged Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm

This continues to be a really good crossover event story, this may surprise people, but Forever Evil is actually good. It is moving slowly though, as the ‘hero’ team only actually gets together at the end of this issue. There’s only 2 issues to resolve things, so unless Johns goes absolutely mental, I imagine there will be quite a lot of loose ends.

The first 2/3rds of this issue are split between 2 fights, one between the Lex Luthor/Batman team of resistance and a bunch of Secret Society goons and the other between Sinestro and Power Ring. Both were highly enjoyable action scenes, with David Finch delivering great, wide-screen art, but the most interesting thing about them is how they ended. Sinestro was a total bad-ass and just chops off Power Ring’s arm. You can insert your own joke about Johns’ obsession with removing limbs here, but it’s pretty much the only way to beat Power Ring. The ring flies off to find a new host, and Sinestro kills Power Ring.

The end of the larger fight comes when Deathstroke has a gun pointed right at Lex’s head (I liked Deathstroke’s comment about how Lex’s armour doesn’t have a helmet) and Lex is able to convince him to switch sides because, if the CSA were to take over the world permanently, there’d be less money in mercenary work. I’m not the biggest Deathstroke fan, but this makes sense. Sinestro soon shows up to join forces, and this ad-hoc group get ready to attack the Crime Syndicate. But who’s going to lead them? That’s the big question isn’t it? Batman tries to take charge, but he’s outnumbered, so it looks like Lex is the man. We know now that Lex is going to be on the JLA after this event, so this is the first step towards that.

Power Ring’s death has a larger impact than you might think, as it’s search for a new host sends out a ping across the multiverse which alerts the entity that destroyed Earth-3 to the fact that the Syndicate’s whereabouts. A big red Doctor Who-esque crack opens up in the sky, and it looks like that entity is coming, is it the Anti-Monitor? I reckon so. This event is just old-school fun with a nice dark edge, and I think it’s actually quite good that it’s going under the radar a bit, maybe it’s lowered expectations, but this is probably DC’s best event since Sinestro Corps War.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Let's hope shit "goes mental" for the next 2 issues ! :twisted:

Image
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:17 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Let's hope shit "goes mental" for the next 2 issues ! :twisted:

Image


I certainly hope so, as much as I've enjoyed Forever Evil, it's starting to feel a bit like stealth filler the way Trinity War did. If this big bad turns out to be a re-hash of CoIE, then they've completely run out of ideas.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong... :?
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Punchy wrote:This continues to be a really good crossover event story, this may surprise people, but Forever Evil is actually good. It is moving slowly though, as the ‘hero’ team only actually gets together at the end of this issue. There’s only 2 issues to resolve things, so unless Johns goes absolutely mental, I imagine there will be quite a lot of loose ends.

The first 2/3rds of this issue are split between 2 fights, one between the Lex Luthor/Batman team of resistance and a bunch of Secret Society goons and the other between Sinestro and Power Ring. Both were highly enjoyable action scenes, with David Finch delivering great, wide-screen art, but the most interesting thing about them is how they ended. Sinestro was a total bad-ass and just chops off Power Ring’s arm. You can insert your own joke about Johns’ obsession with removing limbs here, but it’s pretty much the only way to beat Power Ring. The ring flies off to find a new host, and Sinestro kills Power Ring.

The end of the larger fight comes when Deathstroke has a gun pointed right at Lex’s head (I liked Deathstroke’s comment about how Lex’s armour doesn’t have a helmet) and Lex is able to convince him to switch sides because, if the CSA were to take over the world permanently, there’d be less money in mercenary work. I’m not the biggest Deathstroke fan, but this makes sense. Sinestro soon shows up to join forces, and this ad-hoc group get ready to attack the Crime Syndicate. But who’s going to lead them? That’s the big question isn’t it? Batman tries to take charge, but he’s outnumbered, so it looks like Lex is the man. We know now that Lex is going to be on the JLA after this event, so this is the first step towards that.

Power Ring’s death has a larger impact than you might think, as it’s search for a new host sends out a ping across the multiverse which alerts the entity that destroyed Earth-3 to the fact that the Syndicate’s whereabouts. A big red Doctor Who-esque crack opens up in the sky, and it looks like that entity is coming, is it the Anti-Monitor? I reckon so. This event is just old-school fun with a nice dark edge, and I think it’s actually quite good that it’s going under the radar a bit, maybe it’s lowered expectations, but this is probably DC’s best event since Sinestro Corps War.


Well given how useless this incarnation of Power Ring was, I can't say that I miss him. As for the entity, your guess might be right or it could beImperiex possibly.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Been reading Forever Evil draco, or just the reviews?
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Been reading Forever Evil draco, or just the reviews?


I don't have comics where I am at unfortunately so I do all my reading online for the time being.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 pm

I'll repost what I said in the preview thread: The way we're up to #5 of 7 already and the Injustice League is still barely assembled and they keep throwing more shit like the being that ran off the Syndicate appearing.....I can't help but feel we're on the verge of another ending that'll just bridge this into the next event.

Or this will be a mess as Johns tries to wrap everything up in 3 issues with more hotshot writing like a comic book Vince Russo.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Draco x wrote:
I don't have comics where I am at unfortunately so I do all my reading online for the time being.


So then yes you have been reading Forever Evil?
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
So then yes you have been reading Forever Evil?


Pretty much.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Power Ring has been one of the best fleshed out characters in the entire run. If any of them have been worthless, it's likely Superwoman. Is it the fact that Power Ring acts like a coward that makes you think he's useless?
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Power Ring has been one of the best fleshed out characters in the entire run. If any of them have been worthless, it's likely Superwoman. Is it the fact that Power Ring acts like a coward that makes you think he's useless?


I prefered the other incarnations of Power Ring over this one pretty much.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 pm

That doesn't answer the question. Is it the fact that Power Ring acts like a coward that makes you think he's useless?
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Accidentally posted this comment in the Earth 2 thread: Based on the first Justice League FE tie-in and Darkseid #1, I'm going to guess Darkseid is the big bad.
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Does anyone find it ironic that this is the second time the Hal incarnation of Power Ring got killed off abruptly after how he got skewered by Omega Man in JLA a few years ago? On a flipside if they ever get a new Power Ring, I would love to see a Guy Gardner version next time around as we already got ones based on Kyle and John before.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:05 am

Image

Image

That really is pretty blatant, isn't it?

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 44 guests

cron