Advertisement

Black Widow #3 (Lobo Blanco Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Black Widow #3 (Lobo Blanco Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am

Another excellent issue of Black Widow, with more absolutely fantastic art from Phil Noto. I didn’t review #2, but it’s the same as #1 and this issue, a gripping, done-in-one action story that slowly builds Natasha’s character, as well as the supporting cast. The most interesting thing about #2 was probably Isaiah taking things into his own hands, but he barely appears here, and instead the focus is more on Natasha’s home, and her neighbour, Ana. Of course, Black Widow denies that she has a home, and tries to stay out of Ana’s abusive home-life, but this issue clearly demonstrates that no matter how much she tries to deny it, Natasha does have a home.

The mission this issue involves heading to Black Widow and breaking an innocent man out of prison, where he has been sent for a crime he didn’t commit. Black Widow, thanks to an awesome disguise, is able to get herself and Angelo out of the prison, but they still have to escape through the jungle. Like previous issues, this plot is simple, but it is well-told, through excellent action pacing and Noto’s art. In the process of getting Angelo through the jungle and to his rescue helicopter, Black Widow works out that all is not as it seems, and that whilst he was in prison this time for something he didn’t do, Angelo is in fact a hardened criminal, with awesome nicknames like ‘The White Wolf’ and ‘The Butcher Of Argentina’. Black Widow throws both her and Angelo out of the Helicopter and into the river, where she stabs him and leaves him for the Crocodiles. It was pretty bad-ass.

Throughout the issue, Natasha’s inner monologue is talking about the idea of ‘Home’, she says she has none, but if she does, the mission is her home, the Jungle is her home. But when she thinks this, the art shows a panel of her battered neighbour, so it’s clear that she does have a real home. Black Widow’s narration is basically her lying to herself, saying that she’s a hardened killer professional, when in fact, she does have a heart. This all culminates at the end of the issue, where, even after being picked up from Buenos Aires by Maria Hill and given a mission from SHIELD, she makes sure to stop off and teach Ana’s abusive husband a violent lesson. Issue by issue, Edmondson is peeling back the layers on Black Widow, and allowing us to know more about who she is as a person, and not just an Avenger or spy.

It looks like next issue will show the SHIELD mission, which will be a cool change, so far all of these have been Black Widow going off the books. I don’t particularly want to see Black Widow as a full-blown superhero in this title, but SHIELD missions make sense.

Phil Noto’s art was once again gorgeous and amazing, I love the way he shifted style, both in pencils and colouring, for the night-time scenes in the jungle, the white outline was a great choice, as was getting a bit scratchier. The violence was impactful, the layouts exciting, and basically, this comic looks good.

Even if you can’t read, you should be buying this comic, the art is that good. But if you can read, Nathan Edmondson is writing some pretty great words too. I don’t know why I’m talking to you if you can’t read, because you won’t be reading this either. I was speaking metaphorically! Aaargh.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Black Widow #3 (Lobo Blanco Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm

I like the fact that Edmondson kept using the cat a metaphor for Natasha's feeling of being home. She keeps rejecting it, but at the end when she finally accepts that she has a home she's depicted petting it.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Good review.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 am

This series has been incredibly impressive, I hope Noto stays on it for a while.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:20 am

I just read #1 and #2. Goodness, but Marvel are putting out a few very impressive books right now.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 pm

the art is just absolutely phenomenal on this book (one of the 2 or 3 best-looking books on the market, IMMO), but I can't say as i'm super-impressed with Edmonson's writing on it yet. it's certainly not a badly-written book, but so far it feels like pretty dry, inconsequential case-of-the-week stuff. i'm really hoping we get more of an overarching through-line to it at some point soon.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:49 pm

nietoperz wrote:I just read #1 and #2. Goodness, but Marvel are putting out a few very impressive books right now.

Since NOW they've really upped the quality game by throwing together a shared universe with quality creators on a good core of books.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand