Advertisement

Review Group Week 160 - SUPERMAN: WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Name the James Robinson/Greg Rucka writing team

Ruckbinson
5
45%
Rocka
3
27%
Other
3
27%
 
Total votes : 11

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chubbles
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 12097
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am


Postby Chubbles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:30 pm

i pick in two weeks, anyone have the list for what's coming out then? I like to do some research first :D

Advertisement

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Chubbles wrote:i pick in two weeks, anyone have the list for what's coming out then? I like to do some research first :D


The preliminary Diamond list for your week won't be posted until Monday, but the company websites should be somewhat accurate.

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-03-18
http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/
http://www.imagecomics.com/schedule.php?d=20090318
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Upcoming

Chubbles
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 12097
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am


Postby Chubbles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:34 pm

awesome, HUGE week for Marvel...ASM 588, DA 3, Ultimatum 3, Deadpool Game of Death, Thor 601, TBolts, Old Man Logan, Cap 48
0 options from DC, Image has Invincible 60, and Dark Horse has nothing I like.

I'm leaning towards ASM 588 since this is being hyped as the issue where a lot of the loose ends are tied up. Deadpool Game of Death has me super excited and I think Ultimatum would get a big turnout for the group. I'll weigh my options and decide in about a week or so.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm

I think Ultimatum would be fun just because everything Loeb does lately is so bass akwards ridiculous. What are the chances it actually ships though? :lol:

Chubbles
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 12097
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am


Postby Chubbles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 pm

ya delays are always a possibility with the Ultimates Universe. Speaking of delays, Ult. Wolverine vs. Hulk 3 came out and I had forgotten how much i enjoyed the first two issues but this reminded me very quickly.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Initial thoughts on this, I like it, it did a good job of fleshing out New Krypton, and has a lot of interesting stuff set up for the future, good art too, but it also had a little too much of Alien Superman, rather than Clark.

Review to come over the weekend.

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15825
Likes: 149 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 pm

So I haven't read a superman comic since around Infinite Crisis, I think? I don't know whats happened in the time Johns and Donner wrote or any of the Busiek stuff so I really have no idea whats happened leading up to this issue. I'm really confused because I don't know if I want to try hunt down issues or even keep reading. What I will say is how surprised I was by the book.

First the easy, The Art-I can't remember if I've read very much Pete Woods and I'll say it's quite good. He seems to be a pretty adept artist at conveying a story and really does a good job moving from panel to panel.

The Story- Not what I expected at all, a page of action which isn't always a good first issue or even the set up of coming action, well with the eventual conflict with Zod will happen. Whats interesting about this issue is it's written almost like a batman book. Superman is very much playing the detective seeing the way the kryptonians struggle with their powers and how maybe he can eventually exploit them. At least thats what I believe the set up is. I don't know if I'll be adding superman any time soon but I might pick up a trade to test the waters. All in all this was a pretty decent issue so I give it a 7.

Suck it Punchy.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:39 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So I haven't read a superman comic since around Infinite Crisis, I think? I don't know whats happened in the time Johns and Donner wrote or any of the Busiek stuff so I really have no idea whats happened leading up to this issue. I'm really confused because I don't know if I want to try hunt down issues or even keep reading. What I will say is how surprised I was by the book.

First the easy, The Art-I can't remember if I've read very much Pete Woods and I'll say it's quite good. He seems to be a pretty adept artist at conveying a story and really does a good job moving from panel to panel.

The Story- Not what I expected at all, a page of action which isn't always a good first issue or even the set up of coming action, well with the eventual conflict with Zod will happen. Whats interesting about this issue is it's written almost like a batman book. Superman is very much playing the detective seeing the way the kryptonians struggle with their powers and how maybe he can eventually exploit them. At least thats what I believe the set up is. I don't know if I'll be adding superman any time soon but I might pick up a trade to test the waters. All in all this was a pretty decent issue so I give it a 7.

Suck it Punchy.


Maybe this week I'll do a 1 sentence review then this week. :wink:

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:54 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So I haven't read a superman comic since around Infinite Crisis, I think? I don't know whats happened in the time Johns and Donner wrote or any of the Busiek stuff so I really have no idea whats happened leading up to this issue. I'm really confused because I don't know if I want to try hunt down issues or even keep reading. What I will say is how surprised I was by the book.

First the easy, The Art-I can't remember if I've read very much Pete Woods and I'll say it's quite good. He seems to be a pretty adept artist at conveying a story and really does a good job moving from panel to panel.

The Story- Not what I expected at all, a page of action which isn't always a good first issue or even the set up of coming action, well with the eventual conflict with Zod will happen. Whats interesting about this issue is it's written almost like a batman book. Superman is very much playing the detective seeing the way the kryptonians struggle with their powers and how maybe he can eventually exploit them. At least thats what I believe the set up is. I don't know if I'll be adding superman any time soon but I might pick up a trade to test the waters. All in all this was a pretty decent issue so I give it a 7.

Suck it Punchy.


Okay, so where did you copy and paste that from on the interwebs? I'm still not convinced you read the book. :P

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 pm

The shipping list for next week is up Ginrai.

Here are some choice #1s or new storylines.

Batman: Battle For The Cowl #1
Ghost Rider #33
Marvel Apes: Speedball Special :lol:
The Stand: American Nightmares #1
X-Men Manifest Destiny: Nightcrawler One-shot

It's not the best of weeks really.

GLX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 38718
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 50 posts
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Title: Leader of The Society


Postby GLX » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Punchy wrote:Ghost Rider #33


This.
Image

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Punchy wrote:The shipping list for next week is up Ginrai.

Here are some choice #1s or new storylines.

Batman: Battle For The Cowl #1
Ghost Rider #33
Marvel Apes: Speedball Special :lol:
The Stand: American Nightmares #1
X-Men Manifest Destiny: Nightcrawler One-shot

It's not the best of weeks really.


Ghost Rider will probably be the best book, but I'd rather trade wait on it.

My pick would be BftC since I won't be buying it otherwise.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm

MONKEY SPEEDBALL

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26529
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:42 pm

What do you mean it's not a good week on top of those other choices...

there is
Amazon #1
Young Liars #13
Life and times of Savior 28 #1
Far West: Bad Mojo #1
Super Human Resources #1

Those are all outstanding books.

I do think Ghost Rider is the best choice though.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:What do you mean it's not a good week on top of those other choices...

there is
Amazon #1
Young Liars #13
Life and times of Savior 28 #1
Far West: Bad Mojo #1
Super Human Resources #1


Those are all outstanding books.

I do think Ghost Rider is the best choice though.


Not everyone's LCS has you ordering comics for them. :x :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alijafferythehunk, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 120 guests

Advertisement