Advertisement

Batman #28 -- S P O I L E R S

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 329 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Batman #28 -- S P O I L E R S

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:09 pm

The folks at Newsarama put together a tidy checklist of the spoilers and surprises in today's Batman #28 which shows the near future of the Bat-verse. Some of these changes lead into or happen during the "Batman Eternal" weekly title coming out in April.

For Newsarama's full article with detailed spoilers click here.

Brief spoilers ahoy:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
- Harper Row is wearing a new costume, working in conjunction with Batman, and being called by a new name — "Bluebird."
- Harper's been training with some of Batman's former (and current?) Robins — blaming Batman's "sidekicks" for her new fighting skills. She also states that this training was not authorized by Batman.
- There's a small-looking girl in the Batcave who's also helping new team. She appears to have short hair (although long on top and possibly two-toned), and she calls herself "new at this."
- Selina Kyle is the new Kingpin in Gotham City, and she's got a grudge against Batman.
- Stephanie Brown, already in costume and calling herself "Spoiler". She's tied up, and somehow very important to stopping "what's coming next."
Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Batman #28 -- S P O I L E R S

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Well, this doesn't bode well for Catwoman as a regular series.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:13 pm

I like Snyder's Batman, but kind of resent the idea that I'm going to be expected to add a weekly batbook to my pull just to keep up. I'll probably end up dropping the main book instead.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:18 pm

nietoperz wrote:I like Snyder's Batman, but kind of resent the idea that I'm going to be expected to add a weekly batbook to my pull just to keep up. I'll probably end up dropping the main book instead.

I'm on a "wait and see" plan with Batman eternal

not sure if I can add 4 more books a month to my list. If it become integral to the rest of the Bat-books, I may have to drop Batman all together
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Well, this doesn't bode well for Catwoman as a regular series.

Or this could add a whole new angle to her solo title.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:05 pm

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 313 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:22 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Or this could add a whole new angle to her solo title.

Pretty much this. I think there are going to be some unexpected twists and turns in Selina's new role.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 415 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 pm

All of this sounds all kinds of awesome! I haven't got to read the new issue yet but I couldn't not look at these spoilers!
ImageImageImage

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 am

I dropped Batman a while ago, because for me, I had absolutely zero interest in reading another Batman origin story.

But I did so for one specific reason: I felt strongly that, while I didn't agree with much of what has come, that if you were going to do the New 52, you had to move this stuff forward. You have to push characters forward -- not necessarily in time, but in situation, in interactions and experiences.

So I did pick up Batman #28, and I did enjoy it. Because, really, what was in there not to like? It was a story from about a year out, where things will clearly change in Gotham.

Will I agree with all the changes? Maybe not. Probably not, in some cases.

But what is important, at least for me, is that I have the interest in seeing those changes.

I laughed when I read that DC is going to do "Death of Superman" again. For what, exactly? You rebooted an entire line of comics so you could tell some of the same damn stories again? Really?

In short -- which is something I hardly ever do -- I'll give "Batman: Eternal" a chance. Because they're going to move forward. Maybe I won't like it. Maybe I will.

But at least it will be something different to read, with familiar characters taking on new roles, new challenges. At least, instead of telling me another origin story of Batman, there will be something different on the way.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:23 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
I laughed when I read that DC is going to do "Death of Superman" again. For what, exactly? You rebooted an entire line of comics so you could tell some of the same damn stories again? Really?

But Geoff Johns is going to do it, which it gonna make it extra special cooler. :roll:

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:13 am

The issue was actually quite good, I love Dustin Nuygyen so much and I wish he was on the Batman book instead of Cappulo but, yeah good issue I look forward to reading both books if the quality continues.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Scott Snyder takes a break from ‘Zero Year’ to tell a story set in Batman’s future (I can barely remember the last time I read a story set in Batman’s present) that serves as a teaser for the upcoming ‘Batman Eternal’ weekly series. Before reading this issue, I wasn’t planning on picking up Eternal, but now I am, so I guess you have to put this down as a success as Snyder, along with co-writer James Tynion IV and artist Dustin Nguyen set up a lot of interesting mysteries about what’s going to happen in Eternal as well as making major changes that really make me want to find out what happened in between now and the future.

The setting of this story is Gotham City after some sort of disaster that’s led to all sorts of trouble, there’s some kind of disease that’s killing people, and the Police are enforcing a curfew, which is how this issue begins, as Harper Row is picked up by the cops for being out at night. Before they can beat the shit out of her, she says a code-word, and is taken to an underground nightclub ran by the new ‘Kingpin’ of Gotham. Harper tells the people there that she needs help to cure her brother of this mysterious sickness, but they know she’s lying, as the codeword she gave is out of date, and she’s in deep trouble. Harper has an ace up her sleeve however, and she presses a button, turns off the light, and when it comes back on, the goons have been beaten up by Batman!

Yep, what we’ve all suspected for a while has come to pass, Harper Row has become a superhero and joined forces with Batman. She even has a Nightwing-esque costume, although her name isn’t Nightwing, it’s Bluebird. I’m very interested to see just how Harper becomes Bluebird, and it looks like it’s a quite complex story, as she and Batman seem to have a frosty relationship, and she says she’s been training with his other sidekicks, rather than Batman himself. It looks like in the aftermath of ‘Death Of The Family’ (which has been bungled by immediately going into the past) Batman has built a new family, including Harper, and someone else back in the Cave running the computers. What happened to Alfred and who is this mystery person? Batman and Bluebird take out some more goons, and are generally a pretty good team, but then the new Kingpin arrives, and it turns out to be Catwoman.

I had pretty much guessed this from the name and theme of the club (The Egyptian, and it’s full of cat statues) but it’s still interesting to see how Catwoman has gone from being a member of the Justice League and an ally of Batman’s, to the overall leader of Gotham’s criminals. This is probably the first time in like, 15 years when she’s been a proper villain, which is cool too. Batman and Bluebird have infiltrated Catwoman’s club because they know she has in her possession the ‘key’ that can supposedly save Gotham and (I guess) stop this disease from killing people. Catwoman takes them to her vault, and this key turns out to be not a what, but a who, and it’s the return of none other than Spoiler! I’m not really a fan of Stephanie Brown, so I wasn’t amazed and excited by this, it was more of a raised eyebrow. I think the use of this character here makes a lot of sense actually, she knows a lot of secrets, and her name is ‘Spoiler’, it’s pretty clever.

Dustin Nguyen’s art throughout this issue was excellent, he’s always been a good fit for Batman, going back to Judd Winick’s (underrated) run, and I really like the design of Bluebird’s costume.

Overall, this issue was an intriguing teaser for Eternal, I want to find out how Harper Row became a superhero, I want to know what cataclysmic event has fucked up Gotham this time, I want to know why Catwoman turned back to villainy, and I even want to know what’s up with Spoiler. I don’t know if I have room in my budget for a weekly series, but I’ll at least check out #1.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Meh. It was good but I'm starting to turn on Snyder's Batman. He was one of the few bright spots of the NU52 but it just hasn't been good lately. This did nothing to make me want to stay around.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Harper Row has become a superhero and joined forces with Batman. She even has a Nightwing-esque costume, although her name isn’t Nightwing, it’s Bluebird.

Bat Easter Egg: take a close look at Detective Comics #27, page 2 and 10 of the Snyder short story "Twenty Seven". 8)

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 313 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
But Geoff Johns is going to do it, which it gonna make it extra special cooler. :roll:

Plus I am sure this will lead to a Doomsday series in which Johns will try and portray him as this sympathetic figure as we all know Johns loves his villains. :D :D :D

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand