Advertisement

Justice League Of America #12 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Justice League Of America #12 Preview

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Justice League Of America #12  Preview

The mystery of what Martian Manhunter and Stargirl have really been fighting starts unfolding in 'Tick, Tick, Tick'

Source: Comics Continuum / CBR previews

The DC solicit says:

A devastating battle against Despero begins as Manhunter and Stargirl arrive in San Francisco to save Stargirl’s family from Firestorm’s fallout !

Written by:  Matt Kindt
Pencils by:  Eddy Barrows, Tom Derenick, RB Silva
Inks by:  Eber Ferreira, Allen Martinez, RB Silva
Cover by:  Eddy Barrows, Eber Ferreira
Steampunk Variant Cover by:  Mateo Scalera
32 pages
$3.99  (US)
Combo-Pack Edition:  $4.99 (US)
On sale:  February 12, 2014

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Justice League Of America #12 Preview

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:09 pm

I have absolutely no idea what is going on in this issue but clearly something more is happening here, especially considering the ending. And factor in Despero acting weirdly out of character, that also suggeststhat this may all be an illusion or something :idea:

And for you gloom-n-doom types that feared Courtney's repressed memory would be of her getting raped .. well, it isn't that.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I have absolutely no idea what is going on in this issue but clearly something more is happening here, especially considering the ending. And factor in Despero acting weirdly out of character, that also suggeststhat this may all be an illusion or something :idea:

And for you gloom-n-doom types that feared Courtney's repressed memory would be of her getting raped .. well, it isn't that.

Hmmmm........

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Man, it is taking freaking forever for Stargirl and Martian Manhunter to get to LA. I mean, I understand why they’ve been attacked by supervillains all along the way and have had lengthy flashbacks, but still, this story is dragging, and compared to the main Forever Evil series and the other tie-ins, it’s just kind of boring. I don’t mind getting an insight into Stargirl’s origins, but not at the expense of what should be an epic crossover.

So, we begin with Stargirl deep underwater, after being shoved down there to drown by Despero, she fights her way back up to try and find J’Onn, who has been beaten to hell by Despero. The fight between these two characters was actually well done, with Despero winning not only through superior strength, but also by playing with J’Onn’s mind and making him see his dead Martian wife. Despero flies off, leaving J’Onn for dead too (he really should stick around and see these things through, both of the heroes he thinks he’s killed survive).

J’Onn lies there and tells Stargirl about a story from Martian History, about a hero who went off to fight a monster who had been terrorising a village. He was attacked by the horned beast and pinned to wall, and rather than cut himself free, this hero saw that the monster was trapped as well, and he sacrificed himself to save everyone else. This story serves as a metaphor for Stargirl’s actions at the end of this issue, as she flies off on her own to stop Despero and stop Firestorm from exploding, but the thing I found interesting here was the name of the monster in J’Onn’s story, ‘Erdel’, which if I remember right, is the surname of the Scientist who brought J’Onn to Earth from Mars in his origin story. Is this a coincidence or is J’Onn just making this up to inspire Stargirl? He certainly seems convinced at the end that she’s going to save the day and that the heroes are going to win, but I don’t really share his confidence. Stargirl is caught up in a fight with Despero before she can stop Firestorm. It’s not all bad, I do want to see what happens next issue.

Throughout the issue, Stargirl continues her flashbacks, and we find out what the dark memory she’s suppressing is. Thankfully it’s not that she was raped by the shadowy super-villain, but instead we see that, after he beat her up, this villain went to her home, attacked it, and (presumably) killed her little brother. It’s the one circumstance where the death of a kid isn’t the worst possible story outcome!

Like previous issues, this was a bit of an artistic mish-mash, with 3 different pencilers involved, but it was saved by the fact that they were each drawing different sections of the story. Eddy Barrows drew the main story, Tom Derenick Stargirl’s flashbacks, and RB Silva did J’Onn’s story, so it worked out pretty well.

This has been an odd storyline, and I think you can tell from this review, which veers from being negative to positive within one sentence, that I’m not too sure what to make of it, it’s good to have such a narrow focus on 2 important characters, but it still feels out of place and odd in the context of the crossover. I don’t know!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews