Advertisement

Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doomed #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:24 pm

The Outhouse has obtained an exclusive preview of May's Superman crossover event. Suck it, CBR!

Source: Exclusive Contacts (Zechs)

In May, DC Comics will make history by publishing Superman Doomed, a super-mega-crossover event that will Superman face off against a deadly new foe: Doomsday. Here's the official description from DC:

Beginning the super-event you have been waiting for in The New 52: Superman vs. Doomsday in a way you've never seen before! And with Doomsday's deadly new abilities, in this battle there can be no winners. The Man of Steel must unleash insane levels of power in order to do the job, only to terrify the world he's saving. Beating Doomsday is only the beginning of this never-ending battle!

The Outhouse has had a somewhat tumultuous relationship with DC over the past year, so the company has offered us an olive branch - an exclusive opportunity to preview pages from this exciting new blockbuster event. Here are the first five pages of Superman: Doomed #1, a one-shot that will kick off the crossover, from Scott Lobdell, Greg Pak, and Charles Soule, with art by Ken Lashley. Enjoy.

Wow! Exciting stuff, and very modern looking as well. Kudos to DC for sending this to us. It should be the start of a beautiful friendship. Read more about the story over at CBR, where they got some second rate info and covers, but no exclusive interior art like we did. Get used to it, CBR!

Look for Superman: Doomed #1 in comic shops in May, and in quarter bins in 2025.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Nataniel Costard
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 260 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doomed #1

Postby Nataniel Costard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Wow, and here I was thinking all their books looked like shit at DC this days! Good thing they keep the amazing Jon Bogdanove on a payroll!

Nataniel Costard
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Nataniel Costard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm (trying to be) sarcastic, by the way.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doomed #1

Postby Chessack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:16 am

The Man of Steel must unleash insane levels of power in order to do the job, only to terrify the world he's saving.

Great... more "We don't trust Superman" crap, turning Superman into the DC equivalent of the X-men (the mistrusted hero). There are no words to describe how much I detest this interpretation of the DCU and their reaction to the Man of Steel. I much prefer the Donner implementation, where Superman does stuff and the crowd universally cheers. Where Zod and his cronies appear to kill Superman and people pick up umbrellas and tire irons and say "Let's get 'em!"

I'm glad I already gave up on the Superman books, but I can only wince at the prospect of yet another sucktastic event crossing over into Supergirl (which is inevitable, since her book has the term "Super" in the title) and forcing me to partake of it anyway.

Scintillant-H
cheese

Liked in: 150 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Re: RE: Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doome

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 am

FBtron wrote:I'm (trying to be) sarcastic, by the way.

:o GASP!!

Scintillant-H
cheese

Liked in: 150 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 am

Chessack wrote:
Great... more "We don't trust Superman" crap, turning Superman into the DC equivalent of the X-men (the mistrusted hero). There are no words to describe how much I detest this interpretation of the DCU and their reaction to the Man of Steel. I much prefer the Donner implementation, where Superman does stuff and the crowd universally cheers. Where Zod and his cronies appear to kill Superman and people pick up umbrellas and tire irons and say "Let's get 'em!"

I'm glad I already gave up on the Superman books, but I can only wince at the prospect of yet another sucktastic event crossing over into Supergirl (which is inevitable, since her book has the term "Super" in the title) and forcing me to partake of it anyway.

I feel your pain, man... I'm just waiting for the next crappy appearance of Slade, but I can't bring myself to lift any of the Forever Evil books.

Staxth Kai Burberry
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Staxth Kai Burberry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am

How ridiculous can DC get? No wonder the New52 is turning out to be a BIG fiasco, now selling less than most pre-reboot months(DC barely moved over 2m units in January and are expected to fall below that in February; plus they are often making fewer $ than pre-New52 despite the now higher prices). That's what happens when you decide it's time to alienate your fans because you are too bored to come up with new ideas and concepts.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 pm

I think the Superman Vs Doomsday thing worked well in the 90s when Dan Jurgens was doing the writing but unfortunately Doomsday became a run of the mill joke villain when the other writers got ahold of him. I sadly have no faith that Lobdell and co will make this interesting enough for me to check this out.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Draco x wrote:I think the Superman Vs Doomsday thing worked well in the 90s when Dan Jurgens was doing the writing but unfortunately Doomsday became a run of the mill joke villain when the other writers got ahold of him. I sadly have no faith that Lobdell and co will make this interesting enough for me to check this out.

He was a joke from the very beginning. And so was the battle between the two of them, which ended up with them, literally, punching each other to death. This is how Superman, the greatest hero in the history of comic-books, died? With a big, giant, mindless PUNCH? Of all the hero deaths, it was quite possibly the stupidest and least interesting. From top to bottom the "Death of Superman" was handled atrociously. The only thing worse than how it was handled was that it worked, and sold like gangbusters, thus deceiving DC into thinking that it was actually good. It wasn't.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Chessack wrote:
He was a joke from the very beginning. And so was the battle between the two of them, which ended up with them, literally, punching each other to death. This is how Superman, the greatest hero in the history of comic-books, died? With a big, giant, mindless PUNCH? Of all the hero deaths, it was quite possibly the stupidest and least interesting. From top to bottom the "Death of Superman" was handled atrociously. The only thing worse than how it was handled was that it worked, and sold like gangbusters, thus deceiving DC into thinking that it was actually good. It wasn't.

Fair point and all but I believe that at least Jurgens did a better job with Doomsday than the other writers at DC when he wrote him. When they turned the character into a recurring jobber villain that's when he started to suck unfortunately from where I stand.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1027 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Balderdash, Chessack!
Despite being about death, The Death of Superman was actually a fun event that energized DC for years.
Beyond the obvious Superman Family expansion, we also got
-Kyle Rayner 8)
-a more interesting Hal Jordan :smt045
-a reason to revitalize the Justice League (I <3 the JLI, but Doomsday rightfully handed them their asses, plus how awesome was this cover?)
-

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Chessack wrote:

True. DC's completely gotten away from what made its characters and likeable in the first place.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Draco x wrote:Fair point and all but I believe that at least Jurgens did a better job with Doomsday than the other writers at DC when he wrote him. When they turned the character into a recurring jobber villain that's when he started to suck unfortunately from where I stand.

The biggest problem I had with Doomsday was his utter mindlessness. If Superman is going to be taken out, it should be by someone extremely intelligent, someone who figures out how to kill him, not just someone who mindlessly punches him to death. I could have seen Lex Luthor doing it. Or Darkseid. But Doomsday? He looks stupid, and is even stupider than he looks. (Or at least, he was, as incarnated during the Death of Superman story -- what has happened to him since, I have ignored.) What's his larger goal, his purpose? At least someone like Lex has a plan, something he is trying to accomplish, be it world domination or what have you.

The problem with Doomsday is that he was invented out of whole cloth for the purpose of killing Superman. He had no history in the DCU outside of that (although, of course, a history was grafted on ex-post facto). And the writers, including Dan Jurgens, did not see fit to make a believable character out of him. He's a mockery of what super-villains ought to be.

If Superman was going to die, he should have died intelligently, at the hands of a smart, savvy villain, one with gravitas, history in the DCU, and the respect of the fans (again, someone like Lex Luthor or Darkseid would fit the bill, but there are plenty of others). Not at the hands of "Sir Punch-alot". It didn't help that the final punch, as depicted, didn't even look like it was physically impossible (for TWO offensive punches to land at exactly the same time, as depicted -- bodies don't even move that way, Superman or not).

As for it "revitalizing the DCU" for years as one person said -- maybe, but Doomsday was not the cause of that. ANY story that involved the Death and Rebirth of Superman would have done that, mostly because comic-book fans are apparently suckers with little taste. But people didn't buy the story because of Doomsday -- nobody knew or cared who he was at the time. We all knew he was going to "kill" Superman, because DC told us ahead of time, but I submit that if it had been Bizarro, or Darkseid, or the Joker, or one of any number of DCU villains, it would have sold as well -- indeed, if it had been someone with a real history in the DCU, I suspect the sales would have been even better.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1027 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:53 pm

"one person"...? Out of 4 people in this thread?
That's all I am to you... :cry:

Doomsday was certainly a Maguffin device, but it worked for me. Every time Superman tried to take the fight out of Metropolis and away from people, he/it seemed intent on causing as much destruction. It was Superman's dedication to saving lives that cost him his life despite facing a seemingly-unbeatable foe, which was fitting for the character.
-

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Re: RE: Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doome

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:59 pm

FBtron wrote:How ridiculous can DC get? No wonder the New52 is turning out to be a BIG fiasco, now selling less than most pre-reboot months(DC barely moved over 2m units in January and are expected to fall below that in February; plus they are often making fewer $ than pre-New52 despite the now higher prices). That's what happens when you decide it's time to alienate your fans because you are too bored to come up with new ideas and concepts.

Back that up factually, please. Because I can't wait to tell you how you're wrong.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand