Advertisement

Videogames...

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: fear and trembling

Re: Videogames...

Postby muddyglass » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
It's pretty much a total ripoff of Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar, too!

Well, okay, I kid. It's made by the same people, so technically it's not a ripoff. :P

:D

that video doesn't do justice to txk's graphics on the vita's oled screen. this game is very trippy and the experience is enhanced even more when you play with headphones. as you progress, there are stages where the surface morphs, wobbles and even folds in on itself. very cool.
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

Advertisement

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Engineering The Future

Postby spidertour02 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm

muddyglass wrote:that video doesn't do justice to txk's graphics on the vita's oled screen. this game is very trippy and the experience is enhanced even more when you play with headphones. as you progress, there are stages where the surface morphs, wobbles and even folds in on itself. very cool.

Dude, EVERYTHING looks great on the Vita's OLED screen. Trust me, I'm a huge proponent of the system. :D

I wish txk had a demo, but it's only $7.99 for PS+ subscribers, so I may just check it out.

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:08 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
Dude, EVERYTHING looks great on the Vita's OLED screen. Trust me, I'm a huge proponent of the system. :D

I wish txk had a demo, but it's only $7.99 for PS+ subscribers, so I may just check it out.

can't argue with you there! i haven't played a bad looking game so far on the vita. of course, i also grew up on the nes system so pretty much everything looks good to me with video games these days! :lol:

txk's definitely worth the $8 to me, but i was already looking forward to it after watching gameplay videos on youtube. i figured even if the price drops to $4 or $5 in a psn sale several months down the line, that's really nothing to worry over. it's not like the people who paid $40 for killzone mercenary and then saw it go on sale shortly after for $9 in that crazy 14 for '14 sale last month!
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Postby spidertour02 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 pm

muddyglass wrote:can't argue with you there! i haven't played a bad looking game so far on the vita. of course, i also grew up on the nes system so pretty much everything looks good to me with video games these days! :lol:

txk's definitely worth the $8 to me, but i was already looking forward to it after watching gameplay videos on youtube. i figured even if the price drops to $4 or $5 in a psn sale several months down the line, that's really nothing to worry over. it's not like the people who paid $40 for killzone mercenary and then saw it go on sale shortly after for $9 in that crazy 14 for '14 sale last month!

The way they run sales makes me hesitant to buy new Vita games. I waited on stuff like LittleBigPlanet and Rayman Origins, and I nabbed them for something like $6 each. If I had caved and bought them shortly before those sales for $40, I would've killed someone!

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:43 am

spidertour02 wrote:
The way they run sales makes me hesitant to buy new Vita games. I waited on stuff like LittleBigPlanet and Rayman Origins, and I nabbed them for something like $6 each. If I had caved and bought them shortly before those sales for $40, I would've killed someone!

i bought my vita during black friday a few months back and have picked up a ton of games from the psn via their weekly sales. there have been a lot of enticing deals and i've actually accumulated 30 gigabytes of games to play on the vita! can't wait for the upcoming vita anniversary sale at the end of february.

in general, i wait for prices to go below $10, and preferably in the $5 range. however, i did bite the bullet on dragon's crown for $30. that's a fantastic game as well.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 am

Rockman wrote:
oh yeah I remember tamagotchi. There were some jerks in middle school who would "look at it" and always reset it :smt013

that's some bullshit right there.

When we found the godzilla knock off (I wouldn't call it a knock off though because it actually had the Godzilla license) I was pretty damned happy.

There was even a digivolver one that was actually pretty cool. :smt102

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 am

My friends and I had some fun playing a couple rounds of Titanfall this weekend. I kind of wish we had played it some more but they weren't really in to it AND they had been playing it before I got on.

So we ended up spending most of the night in Battlefield 4. That game has really grown on us.

Since I didn't spend much time with it, I'm still pretty undersold on the game... at least at full price. The mech fighting is pretty awesome once you manage to stay alive long enough to kill something. Fighting as a soldier is pretty much Call of Duty (or at least I haven't gotten over it basically FEELING like CoD). The best change is the double jump. I didn't really get to use or see the point to the wall running but double jumping really added to the verticality of the matches.

The bots are probably the best and worst inclusion to the game. I love them because they make me feel competent. They are pretty dumb. That's probably why you'll hate them. They are essentially targets instead of opponents. That wacky AI also affects your Titan when you're outside of the mech but I'm just going from a friend's impressions there since I didn't see any reason to leave my mech until it was ready to be destroyed. You CAN, of course. The Titan can be set to follow you around and I'm assuming it can attack for itself. Just not well. It needs a pilot to be effective. Which makes sense.

But, for me, sixty dollars is a lot to pay just for a multiplayer only game. We were asking hard questions while playing. Questions like: why are we killing each other? Why are the same two guys talking to us from space no matter what team we're on? I hear the actual game is going to have some sort of background story going for it and the environments that I saw are fantastic... but that just makes me sad that I can't campaign around in it. I like campaigns. I kind of hate multiplayer. This might not be the game for me. Maybe for thirty...

And before anyone asks, I don't own Battlefield 4. So far, I've just rented the thing and I've made progress through the campaign until a tricky tank part and some saving glitches took away my interest.

The other weird thing is that it wouldn't let me hop into a separate game if I was in a party with friends already playing a 6 on 6 game. I had to wait for them to finish up their match so that I could join up with them. This is weird because sometimes I play my own thing when chatting with friends online. Maybe this is just a Beta thing and I DID want to play WITH my buds... I just didn't like not getting the option of playing my own match while in a party with others playing the same game. If that makes sense.

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Postby spidertour02 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm

muddyglass wrote:i bought my vita during black friday a few months back and have picked up a ton of games from the psn via their weekly sales. there have been a lot of enticing deals and i've actually accumulated 30 gigabytes of games to play on the vita! can't wait for the upcoming vita anniversary sale at the end of february.

in general, i wait for prices to go below $10, and preferably in the $5 range. however, i did bite the bullet on dragon's crown for $30. that's a fantastic game as well.

I'm desperately waiting for a big sale on Dragon's Crown. :D

I've managed to fill a 32 GB card almost entirely on PS+ games and a couple of purchases, and that's with some deletions. I wish that 64 GB card was out in the US (and not so damn expensive) because I sure need it!

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:33 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
I'm desperately waiting for a big sale on Dragon's Crown. :D

I've managed to fill a 32 GB card almost entirely on PS+ games and a couple of purchases, and that's with some deletions. I wish that 64 GB card was out in the US (and not so damn expensive) because I sure need it!

i imported my 64 gb card from japan. with shipping included, it came out to around $100. sony will probably come out with the 64 gb card for north america this year.

i suspect dragon's crown will go on sale at around the $20 mark around the time that it hits its one year anniversary in late summer or fall. so far, i've put in over 60 hours playing as the sorceress and haven't touched the other 5 classes yet. she is hilarious and fun to play as!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 564 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 pm

http://www.irrationalgames.com/

A Message From Ken Levine
When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.

We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

What’s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine
@iglevine

*If you’re a 3rd party interested in interviewing some of the best game developers in the world, please contact chris.bigelow@2k.com
Image Image Image ImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 219 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:46 am

Hoping for Crash Bandicoot.

ill probably get something like God of War. Worst case scenario: Gran Turismo :smt013

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 564 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 pm

It was a dumbass move in the first place... and they are still dumbasses in the EU.

Candy Crush Makers Don't Want to Trademark 'Candy' Anymore

The company behind Candy Crush Saga has withdrawn their trademark application for 'Candy' in the United States, according to documents they filed with the U.S. Trademark Office yesterday.

Statement from a King spokesperson:

King has withdrawn its trademark application for Candy in the U.S., which we applied for in February 2013 before we acquired the early rights to Candy Crusher. Each market that King operates in is different with regard to IP. We feel that having the rights to Candy Crusher is the best option for protecting Candy Crush in the U.S. market. This does not affect our E.U. trademark for Candy and we continue to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP.
Image Image Image ImageImage

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am

That's exactly what Nintendo is going to do on May 20th, as it has been confirmed via various official sites that it will be deactivating the Wi-Fi Connection service on the Wii, DS and DSi consoles. This is the online portal which permits net play on various games, including Mario Kart DS and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The Wii Speak channel, which requires Wi-Fi Connection to function, will also become unusable.
Nintendo has stated that offline play is unaffected, and the Wii shop and DSi shop channels will remain in place, which means you can still download content on both of those systems. Nintendo of America has said that video on-demand services will also remain live, but it has been revealed that the Nintendo Video service for Australia and New Zealand — which offers free 3D videos for download — will close on March 31st.
Nintendo has confirmed the news via its North American, Australian and Japanese sites.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... s#comments

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:02 am

Ok, call this a game transition. . Almost completed Lego Movie game for X-Box One and then moving over to the 360 for 'South Park: Stick of Truth!' That game is in the mail today, so cannot wait to play it. Not a big SP watcher but this game just looks like so much fun!
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:04 am

Also can I say how thankful I am that the Outhouse is not as annoying in video game comment as is IGN. My gawd the X-Box One vs PS4 people is just a virus that propagates to ever damn video game thread, it is sickening.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum