Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #17 (Spoilers to come, be warned)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Uncanny Avengers #17 (Spoilers to come, be warned)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:55 am

As always, I don't spoil on the day of release, but be careful at what comes after this post -- hopefully folks will give others some time to read it.

I post about the stuff I read, again, for people who might be on the fence about an issue or series. In the case of Uncanny Avengers, it got off to a bit of a slow start, with delays (likely) due to slow art.

The book then struggled to find its footing for a bit, as Rick Remender had to find the right voices for some characters he didn't have a ton of history with.

But for my money, the book's been damn good for months now. And with this issue, all I can say is...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you've been reading this series, read this issue ASAP.

Because you will be left with your mouths wide open.

I repeat:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Uncanny Avengers #17 (Spoilers to come, be warned)

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:27 pm

this book is the sole reason why I don't particularly care that Remender has run Cap's solo book completely off the rails since Dimension Z ended. today's issue just continued the awesomeness that I deem a fair trade-off.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:16 pm

chap22 wrote:this book is the sole reason why I don't particularly care that Remender has run Cap's solo book completely off the rails since Dimension Z ended. today's issue just continued the awesomeness that I deem a fair trade-off.

You know what makes me sad/mad/upset?

With Hickman's New Avengers and Avengers, Hickman/Spencer on Avengers World, and Remender on Uncanny Avengers since Marvel NOW! started, I can honestly say two things:

1. For how I read comics, this is the greatest shit ever. I understand it might not be for everyone. But for me, at my age and for how many comics I've read over all these years, this shit is AWESOME.

2. With the exception of Grant Morrison's first 24 issues or so of JLA back in the day, I openly weep at the fact that I have NEVER read a sequence of Justice League stories as good as what I'm seeing with the Avengers right now.

In my mind, I could literally see Superman and Batman filling the roles of Thor and Captain America in this issue. I would pay SO MUCH MONEY just to read a sequence of Justice League stories that I enjoy as much as these.

Instead, I trudge through Justice League every month, hoping against hope that this month will be the month DC turns it around.

But enough of that. I don't know when these runs on Avengers will end, who will come after. But I sure as hell am enjoying every second of it right now.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:18 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
You know what makes me sad/mad/upset?

2. With the exception of Grant Morrison's first 24 issues or so of JLA back in the day, I openly weep at the fact that I have NEVER read a sequence of Justice League stories as good as what I'm seeing with the Avengers right now.

In my mind, I could literally see Superman and Batman filling the roles of Thor and Captain America in this issue. I would pay SO MUCH MONEY just to read a sequence of Justice League stories that I enjoy as much as these.

sad but true, my friend. sad but true.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:With Hickman's New Avengers and Avengers, Hickman/Spencer on Avengers World, and Remender on Uncanny Avengers since Marvel NOW! started, I can honestly say two things:

1. For how I read comics, this is the greatest shit ever. I understand it might not be for everyone. But for me, at my age and for how many comics I've read over all these years, this shit is AWESOME.

I don't know if we fall into the same brackets on any of your categories, but this shit is AWESOME for me too.

I see a lot of people complaining about comics, and yeah, its not like I read everything, but the stuff that is good is really fucking good right now.

UA may have been moving a little slow, but god damn its been building up to some great payoffs. I re-read all of Remender's X-Force run shortly after it ended, and it as much as i enjoyed it as it came out, it was even better reading the whole thing in one shot, even knowing what would happen already. UA is giving me the same experience so far.

And I do agree with chap on Remender's Cap run. It has dropped off big time since Dimension Z, but if UA continues this strong, I'll let it go.

Another thing though, its kinda tough to be following Bru's Cap run, but (and I do like him), seems anything is better than the end of Bendis' Avengers books.
Frank, sometimes I really wish you didn't beat that cancer.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 am

Read this this morning in the bath tub...now you all have an image.

This book is great, I'm really looking forward to the return of the Xaiver brained Red Skull though. Remender doesn't do wrong very often for me and I'm still on the positive side of his cap run because I have faith in the end it will all fit together quite nice and Remender will hold onto the excellent track record he has. But yeah this was another great issue and sets up for a full reshaping of the unity team and none of the deaths will stick...too bad. Rogue sucks.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:30 am

Holy shit! That was amazing! I can’t quite believe what I read in this issue, but I love that Rick Remender went there, and did what he did, and with this issue, he proved something about Uncanny Avengers that I’ve been thinking myself for the last few months. This isn’t really an ongoing series in the traditional sense. It’s an epic, superhero crossover event, but rather than be spread out across a central mini-series and a bunch of tie-ins, it’s all happening in the pages of one single comic. You could have easily split this title across multiple Avengers and X-Men books (and Lord knows, there’s enough of ‘em out there) and 5 different writers, but Remender is doing it all himself, and much like Hickman on Infinity, it’s delivering fantastic results. In this issue, Remender destroys the Earth, that’s not the kind of thing that normally happens in #17 of a non-event comic, and yes, whilst we know the Earth will be back (there’s time-travel in this story for a reason, folks), it was still crazy to read, and has me incredibly excited for what’s next.

We begin once again with some suitably ominous narration from Havok, apologising to his future daughter for what happens in these pages, but we’re soon back into the attack of Exitar, as the Avengers back down on Earth try and get their plan, to build a force-field around the planet to stop Exitar long enough for Thor to defeat him. Central to this plan is the Hulk, who is strapped into the machine, as only he is strong enough to hold the electromagnets in place. However, before Thor can get to Exitar, he has to go through Eimin first, and their fight is just as good as the one he had last month with her brother, Uriel. You can tell Remender is having a hell of a good time writing these epic battles, and the over-the-top villainous rant from Eimin just shows that, she is ranting and raving and it is just glorious. Thor is able to defeat her, trapping her under some rubble, and grab the only weapon capable of stopping Exitar, Jarnbjorn.

At the same time, Wasp is still locked in combat with the Grim Reaper, who has forced her into having to either kill him, or let the Earth die. Boiling all of this down to the ethics of superheroes killing is a great move from Remender, because, as the Grim Reaper says, the Avengers’ disgust at Wolverine’s killing of Apocalypse is what ended the Unity Squad, and what pretty much caused all of this. However, it looks like Wasp may be spared from this decision, as Captain America arrives to save the day, to fight Grim Reaper and allow her to fix the time-machine and allow Immortus to come to the rescue. Only… the time machine still doesn’t work, and, well, Grim Reaper just straight up kills Captain America. Yep, not content with Scarlet Witch, Rogue and Wonder Man, Rick Remender’s rampage has now run through Cap. I wonder, now that he’s killed 2 men and 2 women, is he still a hateful misogynist writer?

Remender’s not done either, as Thor is unable to reason with Exitar, Eimin comes back to knock the Axe out of his hands, the force-field breaks and Exitar destroys the planet. Boom, it’s gone. Thor is able to escape through a portal to Asgard, where he is consoled by Odin (isn’t he supposed to be dead?), and told that this isn’t his fault for being tricked by Kang, but that it was the people of Earth’s fault for not uniting, for not putting aside their differences, chiefly between human and mutant. It’s the big theme of this series writ large, but really, I can’t believe Remender did this, and I can’t wait to see where it’s going. Obviously all of the mutants are still alive, having been raptured away, so it’s up to them to save the day. I’m sure there will be time-travel mind-fuckery to spare, but that’s the only way this story can go now.

Steve McNiven’s art was once again excellent, he really is a perfect fit for this book, because of his experience of drawing an epic crossover like Civil War. He nailed the scale of this story, but also the smaller moments, like Cap’s death and Thor’s grieving. If you’re not reading this book, you need to pick it up, as I said, it really is an epic event comic, just told in a different way. Fuck it, I’ll say it, it reminds me of Grant Morrison’s JLA, which tried to tell an event with every story. It’s big, it’s larger than life, but it also has a point, a message of unity behind it, that really makes it special.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 148 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:41 am

Punchy wrote:Holy shit! That was amazing! I can’t quite believe what I read in this issue, but I love that Rick Remender went there, and did what he did, and with this issue, he proved something about Uncanny Avengers that I’ve been thinking myself for the last few months. This isn’t really an ongoing series in the traditional sense. It’s an epic, superhero crossover event, but rather than be spread out across a central mini-series and a bunch of tie-ins, it’s all happening in the pages of one single comic. You could have easily split this title across multiple Avengers and X-Men books (and Lord knows, there’s enough of ‘em out there) and 5 different writers, but Remender is doing it all himself, and much like Hickman on Infinity, it’s delivering fantastic results. In this issue, Remender destroys the Earth, that’s not the kind of thing that normally happens in #17 of a non-event comic, and yes, whilst we know the Earth will be back (there’s time-travel in this story for a reason, folks), it was still crazy to read, and has me incredibly excited for what’s next.

We begin once again with some suitably ominous narration from Havok, apologising to his future daughter for what happens in these pages, but we’re soon back into the attack of Exitar, as the Avengers back down on Earth try and get their plan, to build a force-field around the planet to stop Exitar long enough for Thor to defeat him. Central to this plan is the Hulk, who is strapped into the machine, as only he is strong enough to hold the electromagnets in place. However, before Thor can get to Exitar, he has to go through Eimin first, and their fight is just as good as the one he had last month with her brother, Uriel. You can tell Remender is having a hell of a good time writing these epic battles, and the over-the-top villainous rant from Eimin just shows that, she is ranting and raving and it is just glorious. Thor is able to defeat her, trapping her under some rubble, and grab the only weapon capable of stopping Exitar, Jarnbjorn.

At the same time, Wasp is still locked in combat with the Grim Reaper, who has forced her into having to either kill him, or let the Earth die. Boiling all of this down to the ethics of superheroes killing is a great move from Remender, because, as the Grim Reaper says, the Avengers’ disgust at Wolverine’s killing of Apocalypse is what ended the Unity Squad, and what pretty much caused all of this. However, it looks like Wasp may be spared from this decision, as Captain America arrives to save the day, to fight Grim Reaper and allow her to fix the time-machine and allow Immortus to come to the rescue. Only… the time machine still doesn’t work, and, well, Grim Reaper just straight up kills Captain America. Yep, not content with Scarlet Witch, Rogue and Wonder Man, Rick Remender’s rampage has now run through Cap. I wonder, now that he’s killed 2 men and 2 women, is he still a hateful misogynist writer?

Remender’s not done either, as Thor is unable to reason with Exitar, Eimin comes back to knock the Axe out of his hands, the force-field breaks and Exitar destroys the planet. Boom, it’s gone. Thor is able to escape through a portal to Asgard, where he is consoled by Odin (isn’t he supposed to be dead?), and told that this isn’t his fault for being tricked by Kang, but that it was the people of Earth’s fault for not uniting, for not putting aside their differences, chiefly between human and mutant. It’s the big theme of this series writ large, but really, I can’t believe Remender did this, and I can’t wait to see where it’s going. Obviously all of the mutants are still alive, having been raptured away, so it’s up to them to save the day. I’m sure there will be time-travel mind-fuckery to spare, but that’s the only way this story can go now.

Steve McNiven’s art was once again excellent, he really is a perfect fit for this book, because of his experience of drawing an epic crossover like Civil War. He nailed the scale of this story, but also the smaller moments, like Cap’s death and Thor’s grieving. If you’re not reading this book, you need to pick it up, as I said, it really is an epic event comic, just told in a different way. Fuck it, I’ll say it, it reminds me of Grant Morrison’s JLA, which tried to tell an event with every story. It’s big, it’s larger than life, but it also has a point, a message of unity behind it, that really makes it special.

Dear Marvel,

Please put this stuff on Comixology in a .99 cent sale so I can get caught up.

Love, me.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote: I understand it might not be for everyone.

Maybe it started with Doctor 'Burt Ward' Strange uttering "'By the Hoary Hosts of Hogwarts, Iron Man'.
Maybe it's was Odin's hypocritical monologue about how the peoples of Earth couldn't get along (despite him never uniting the various peoples in his own realm).
Maybe it's because there's no way the events in this issue (or previous ones) will ever be real.

I did like how Janet is basically the only Avenger still honoring the 'no kill' idiom that was the Avengers way for it's first 40+ years and I did like the art.

But the story and the cornyball writing and the inevitable duex ex machina ending that's to come, I have to agree with ESJ - this isn't for everyone.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 148 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:15 pm

It almost sounds like an AoA type alt universe. That's not a judgement either way, but I really like those types of stories. But I am ( and have been for years) opposed to the $3.99 to 22 page price point. I realize it makes me the grumpy old man, but it's ridiculous and symptomatic of why brick and mortar are relying more on gaming and alternative media. Don't get me wrong...apparently there's less like me and I don't think many long term readers just quit the habit like I pretty much did, but I can't see picking up a lot of new readers in the short term. It's just not worth the money-to-entertainment value ratio. I'm pretty much exclusively reading online at this point.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:09 pm

alaska1125 wrote:It almost sounds like an AoA type alt universe. That's not a judgement either way, but I really like those types of stories. But I am ( and have been for years) opposed to the $3.99 to 22 page price point. I realize it makes me the grumpy old man, but it's ridiculous and symptomatic of why brick and mortar are relying more on gaming and alternative media. Don't get me wrong...apparently there's less like me and I don't think many long term readers just quit the habit like I pretty much did, but I can't see picking up a lot of new readers in the short term. It's just not worth the money-to-entertainment value ratio. I'm pretty much exclusively reading online at this point.

Yeah, it does feel a bit like a separate universe from the rest of Marvel's output. It isn't, because the Unity Squad have appeared in other books (All-New X-Men, Avengers A.I., Cable & X-Force to name a few) but all of the events here will obviously be retconned by the time-travel. It's just interesting to see how much is undone. Will Rogue, Wonder Man and Scarlet Witch come back too for example.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:44 pm

I'm glad you guys are enjoying this series, but this was my last issue. I haven't been feeling it for the past few months. I just don't care about the Apocalypse Twins, or anything coming into this title from Marvel's X-books. I can't say I've cared at all for much X-related for years now. I though that could change since this series was closely tied to the Avengers books as well, but no. This series just isn't for me.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 am

Stephen Day wrote:I'm glad you guys are enjoying this series, but this was my last issue. I haven't been feeling it for the past few months. I just don't care about the Apocalypse Twins, or anything coming into this title from Marvel's X-books. I can't say I've cared at all for much X-related for years now. I though that could change since this series was closely tied to the Avengers books as well, but no. This series just isn't for me.

Yeah, I think a lot of why I like this book is because it's basically a continuation of Remender's X-Force. If you haven't read that run, I can understand why you wouldn't be feeling it as much.

It was sold as an Avengers/X-Men combination, but it really is more about the X-Men, but since I like both of those franchises, I don't mind.

(You should read Remender's Uncanny X-Force though, it was excellent)

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, I think a lot of why I like this book is because it's basically a continuation of Remender's X-Force. If you haven't read that run, I can understand why you wouldn't be feeling it as much.

It was sold as an Avengers/X-Men combination, but it really is more about the X-Men, but since I like both of those franchises, I don't mind.

Exactly, I enjoyed the first story with the Red Skull. As the series has drawn closer and closer to its X roots and away from its Avengers roots, my enjoyment has steadily decreased.

(You should read Remender's Uncanny X-Force though, it was excellent)

I'm sure it was good, but I don't think I'd like it. The last time I was focused in any way toward the X side of the MU was the late 80s to early 90s. There's been an occasional time that I'm tried to get a X book since and I find that I've been away from these characters and stories too long. There's a wall of continuity these days that I find difficult to get through. It's not impossible to understand of course, but the extra effort that it takes me to do so, compared with say picking up the new Black Widow series, impedes the fun for me enough that I find my level of enjoyment is just not worth the money I pay for the issues.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am

Stephen Day wrote:Exactly, I enjoyed the first story with the Red Skull. As the series has drawn closer and closer to its X roots and away from its Avengers roots, my enjoyment has steadily decreased.

That's a big reason I haven't been enjoying it too. This is supposed to be the "Unity" team that shows humanity that people and muties can co-exist. Yet they've been in space or wherever now for over a year it seems. Very little "unifying" being done (especially with Rogue regardless where they are).

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand