Advertisement

Trillum #7 (The Mouth Of God Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Trillum #7 (The Mouth Of God Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am

Jeff Lemire’s epic sci-fi romance nears it’s conclusion, and not only was this issue very well-written and drawn, but it mercifully didn’t need turning upside-down as much as the last one! Seriously, #6 was taking the mickey at times, but here, you only have to do it once or twice, which makes it much more effective.

The issue opens with William having a flashback to fighting in WW1, only of course, due to time being re-written, he shouldn’t be remembering that, he’s in the year 3797. In his memories, he sees a vision of the young Nika, speaking Atabithian, which causes him to wake up. Back in the future, Essie tells him that his brother is heading his way. Nika is also at the ruins, where she is approached by an Atabithian, it gives her a Trillium flower, so she is able to understand some of what it’s saying (this issue includes a full key for the language, so now we can all go translate ourselves if we’re that nerdy). The alien takes her to a whole, which is revealed to be the real portal, and made up of all sorts of weird, Kirby-style tech.

Before Nika can investigate however, Pohl shows up, and it’s revealed that her helping Nika get back to the Andes was a ruse so that the British Army could claim the territory. Pohl shoots the Atabithian, and Nika jumps down the hole, into the weird hinterland between the time-zones. She wanders the now desolate temple, and she also sees the ghostly version of herself, who points her in the right direction, which is of course, back to the future, and into the arms of William.

Sadly, they are only reunited for a page before Clayton receives a message that the ship coming to get them off the planet is now in control of ‘The Caul’. I must admit that I’d sort of forgotten about The Caul in recent issues, but it looks like they were very important all along, and probably have something to do with the Atabithians, and the Trillium plant and, well, everything.

This mini-series has been absolutely mental, and I can’t wait to see how Lemire will end it and how it all ties in together. Lemire’s art was of course on a par with his writing here. I loved the page where Nika jumped down the hole, and the way it changed angles. Even if the story here was no good, the art has been amazing and experimental enough to make it well worth reading.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Trillum #7 (The Mouth Of God Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 pm

I agree with you about the book turning in this series. It worked beautifully in the first issue, but Lemire has overly relied on it in some issues. I also agree that this issue it wasn't as bad as some other issues. Once you got past page eleven this issue the flipping stopped.

I'm hoping that now that Nika and William are together that there will be no book flipping next issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm looking forward to reading the entire thing back-to-back because I think I'll enjoy it a lot more that way. I like Lemire's art - Sweet Tooth is one of my favourite runs of all time, and Underwater Welder & Essex County were both great - but I've been up-and-down on it here in Trillium. In a pure-sci fi setting I find the lack of precise detail hurts the tone a little, but #7 was the strongest yet on that front. The double-page spread in particular was pretty spectacular.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 pm

As I'm reading it, all I can think of is how I'll remember this mini once it's over...

Will it be an enjoyable time travel romp of two destined lovers finally getting together across the continuum or will be 'that ducking book I had to keep turning upside down'?

Only time will tell.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand