Advertisement

The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 311 posts

The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

Postby Draco x » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 pm

I was discussing this with Herald and some others on several threads about DC movies and decided to make a thread out of it just now. I had said at various times that the one advantage that DC had over Marvel with movies is that they could go outside the super-hero genre that Marvel tends to focus on primarily. For example, we've had movies like The Losers, Red, Road To Perdition, A History Of Violence, Sgt. Bilko and a few others that didn't have any super-hero elements at all. I was thinking that if DC and WB didn't primarily rely on the Batman or Superman franchises or any other super heroes that they could do easily do other genres than Marvel could. For example I would love to see stuff like Sandman, Trillium, Gemini Blood, Cyberella, Rush City, Scooter, Transmetropolitan, Bloody Mary, Black Lamb, Black Hawks, Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE and various others. I do theorize that if DC and Warner were to think along these lines and be very successful with this approach that Marvel would be in trouble. Anyone agree or not?

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

Postby nietoperz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 am

Sgt Bilko?? :lol:

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 am

Draco x wrote:I was discussing this with Herald and some others on several threads about DC movies and decided to make a thread out of it just now. I had said at various times that the one advantage that DC had over Marvel with movies is that they could go outside the super-hero genre that Marvel tends to focus on primarily. For example, we've had movies like The Losers, Red, Road To Perdition, A History Of Violence, Sgt. Bilko and a few others that didn't have any super-hero elements at all. I was thinking that if DC and WB didn't primarily rely on the Batman or Superman franchises or any other super heroes that they could do easily do other genres than Marvel could. For example I would love to see stuff like Sandman, Trillium, Gemini Blood, Cyberella, Rush City, Scooter, Transmetropolitan, Bloody Mary, Black Lamb, Black Hawks, Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE and various others. I do theorize that if DC and Warner were to think along these lines and be very successful with this approach that Marvel would be in trouble. Anyone agree or not?

if only DC / Warner Brothers had the rights to make at at least one of those already existing movies
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:48 am

So, what you're saying, Draco, is that if DC got Warners to make non-blockbuster, non-superhero movies, Marvel would suddenly lose their audience for blockbuster superhero movies.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:14 am

nietoperz wrote:So, what you're saying, Draco, is that if DC got Warners to make non-blockbuster, non-superhero movies, Marvel would suddenly lose their audience for blockbuster superhero movies.

well, to be fair, we all know that kids hate superheroes / sci-fi so those kinds of movies will die off with the rest of us dinosaurs
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:15 am

GHERU wrote:well, to be fair, we all know that kids hate superheroes / sci-fi so those kinds of movies will die off with the rest of us dinosaurs

Unless, of course, we brainwash the kids first...

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:04 am

I love Transmet. I reread the series every few months. I weep that Patrick Stewart was unable to make his animated Transmet web series.

Transmet would never succeed as a film. It would be terrible. Anyone who claims not to see that fact is lying.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 568 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am

While DC has a longer list due to the Vertigo line, Marvel still has plenty of non-superhero tales in its repertoire. Look at the Marvel Graphic Novels (the original bunch) - there are several stories ready to adapt for a movie script.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
-

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby misac » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:52 am

Jonah Hex.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 am

misac wrote:Jonah Hex.

I'll see your Jonah Hex and raise you Howard The Duck
RUviews

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:56 pm

nietoperz wrote:So, what you're saying, Draco, is that if DC got Warners to make non-blockbuster, non-superhero movies, Marvel would suddenly lose their audience for blockbuster superhero movies.

Nope. I was saying that if DC tried other genres outside of super-heroes and did it successfully they could give Marvel a run for their money possibly.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm

outsider wrote:While DC has a longer list due to the Vertigo line, Marvel still has plenty of non-superhero tales in its repertoire. Look at the Marvel Graphic Novels (the original bunch) - there are several stories ready to adapt for a movie script.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

True that but given the fact that their super-hero movies have been successful for the most part, chances are they might not focus on those genres at the moment. Anything is possible though.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 pm

GHERU wrote:well, to be fair, we all know that kids hate superheroes / sci-fi so those kinds of movies will die off with the rest of us dinosaurs

Hey, dinosaurs are fans too! :-D :-D :-D

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 pm

I'd like to see at least Marvel attempt a Dakota North TV series. It seems like something that would be easy to do for network or cable TV.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Juan Cena wrote:I'd like to see at least Marvel attempt a Dakota North TV series. It seems like something that would be easy to do for network or cable TV.

Funnily, a tv series for that character did cross my mind at some point way back.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum