Advertisement

REVIEW- TRANSFORMERS: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #27

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:14 am

It's the triumphant, cataclysmic return of Alex Milne!

Source: NONE

Writer: James Roberts & John Barber
Art: Alex Milne, Brendan Cahill, & Livio Ramondelli
Additional Inks: Brian Shearer
Colors: Josh Perez & Livio Ramondelli
Letters: Tom B. Long
Editor: Carlos Guzman

You know what?  This is one of the best places to be when dealing with a multi-part epic crossover event: We're at part ten (of twelve) and I'm still trying to figure out where it's all going to end.  I mean, sure, we've got some details on where the books are going AFTER Dark Cybertron has concluded but the road map to getting there is still unclear with just two issues to go...

At any rate, this is Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #27 and/or Dark Cybertron: Chapter 10.  In the last chapter, our heroes (which apparently includes Megatron) rallied together to defeat Shockwave's Necrotitan and that means that this issue gets to be another "calm before the storm" thing.  I complained in earlier chapters that things were moving too slowly so you'd think that this chapter would make me echo those complaints... but you'd be wrong.  No, at this point in the storyline, it seems completely appropriate to let our characters interact with each other, both to assess where they've been and also to deal with where they'll be going very soon.

After all, this is the first time that the crew of the Lost Light has been back on Cybertron since they took off way back in More Than Meets the Eye #1.  It's time to catch up with old friends.  

Or old enemies.

To that end, we get an issue that is filled to the brim with character moments and none of them disappoint.  I loved Megatron's long overdue talk with BumblebeeProwl versus Chromedome and Ultra Magnus reminds us of just how underhanded and dirty the Autobots' military strategist has been.  You even get Swerve's long awaited second meeting with Blurr... with hilarious, facepalming results.

And while all that character development is developing, we even get dreaded plot.  Shockwave's plan keeps on coming together right up to the last scene and we follow up on Optimus Prime and crew in the Dead Universe.  The only problem with this is that I STILL don't understand what Shockwave is planning.  Not even when he explains it in great detail.  It sounds more like poetry and philosophy than, y'know, some grand, logical scheme.  Maybe the last two issues will finally make everything make sense or maybe I'm just not smart enough to keep up with Shockwave.  It could go either way.

This issue marks the return of Alex Milne to art duties and it is a WELCOME return.  Milne was last involved in Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #21, the conclusion of the Remain in Light story arc, so it's been a while since we've had his illustrations in MTMTE.  He and Brendan Cahill go back and forth on the Cybertron scenes while Livio Ramondelli continues his digital painting on the Dead Universe pages.  This is probably the best set up of artists on the book since the first chapter (IMO, of course).  Milne and Cahill are both more than competent Transformers artists and Josh Perez's colors (which are amazing) pull all of these scenes together into one united work.  Livio Ramondelli's portrayal of the Dead Universe, while entirely different than the rest of the book, is appropriate because: Dead Universe.  His digital colors, as always, are incredible even though the underlying artwork is a bit amateurish.

To sum up: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #27 is a strong chapter in the Dark Cybertron crossover event.  James Roberts and John Barber are firing on all cylinders as they bring this titanic tale to a conclusion.  With two chapters to go, we only have to wonder if they can fit all of the pieces together in a satisfying way.  Here's hoping!

Written or Contributed by SuperginraiX

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: REVIEW- TRANSFORMERS: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #27

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:48 am

This is a strange event in a way. I'm loving all the character moments but I am pretty indifferent towards the Dark Cybertron story itself. Thought the dead universe is a horse that's been beaten to death through 2 events already.

Looking forward to reading this tomorrow.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:34 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:This is a strange event in a way. I'm loving all the character moments but I am pretty indifferent towards the Dark Cybertron story itself. Thought the dead universe is a horse that's been beaten to death through 2 events already.

Looking forward to reading this tomorrow.

Yeah. I literally groaned when Nova Prime and Galvatron emerged. Though now I'm glad my early thought process turned out correctly. Shockwave is screwing everyone but himself. I'm curious as well what his end game is and what will happen to him after this event.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Zechs wrote:
Yeah. I literally groaned when Nova Prime and Galvatron emerged. Though now I'm glad my early thought process turned out correctly. Shockwave is screwing everyone but himself. I'm curious as well what his end game is and what will happen to him after this event.

They made it clear Shockwave was playing them both from the start.

Regarding Galvatron, I now further appreciate IDW making him a separate character to Megatron. Nova Prime has massively overstayed his welcome.

Cyclonus as an antihero is probably my biggest surprise of the entire series...it works very well as does the Tailgate friendship which is so out of place yet works.

Still wondering how they'll set up the Megatron: Autobot story though. Despite Megatron saving the day it still seems absurd as just before this event he was ready to storm a hospital and mass execute injured neutrals and Autobots on top of burning down Iacon.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:21 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
They made it clear Shockwave was playing them both from the start.

Regarding Galvatron, I now further appreciate IDW making him a separate character to Megatron. Nova Prime has massively overstayed his welcome.

Cyclonus as an antihero is probably my biggest surprise of the entire series...it works very well as does the Tailgate friendship which is so out of place yet works.

Still wondering how they'll set up the Megatron: Autobot story though. Despite Megatron saving the day it still seems absurd as just before this event he was ready to storm a hospital and mass execute injured neutrals and Autobots on top of burning down Iacon.

That's something they build on in this issue, actually. He gives his reasons WHY starting a four billion year long war might have been a bad idea and, while it's the most sense Megatron's made in years, it's also something he berated Starscream for just a couple storylines back.

So... is it a change of heart or is he just tricking people? I think there's room for this to go either way in the future but it's kind of nice to see different sides to Megatron than the G1 comic villain.

Speaking of villains, Nova Prime... I really wish they would have made him more multifaceted than just a mustache twirler. This is the bot who united Cybertron and clearly inspired the population but he's just... so... EVIL. Like, you wonder who would follow him after listening to him talk for five minutes. There was a nice opportunity to build Nova into a complicated leader who might have had different priorities but was noble in his own way. Instead, we get Silver Age Villain.

The rest of the Dead Universe stuff has been ok by me. Galvatron and Cyclonus are both characters that I could read about for a long time to come. I'm happy that the DU itself is coming to an end but didn't mind at all revisiting it. It felt like a way to incorporate the entire IDW continuity from the very beginning and make everything fit together into a nice, softly retconned puzzle.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:That's something they build on in this issue, actually. He gives his reasons WHY starting a four billion year long war might have been a bad idea and, while it's the most sense Megatron's made in years, it's also something he berated Starscream for just a couple storylines back.

So... is it a change of heart or is he just tricking people? I think there's room for this to go either way in the future but it's kind of nice to see different sides to Megatron than the G1 comic villain.

Speaking of villains, Nova Prime... I really wish they would have made him more multifaceted than just a mustache twirler. This is the bot who united Cybertron and clearly inspired the population but he's just... so... EVIL. Like, you wonder who would follow him after listening to him talk for five minutes. There was a nice opportunity to build Nova into a complicated leader who might have had different priorities but was noble in his own way. Instead, we get Silver Age Villain.

The rest of the Dead Universe stuff has been ok by me. Galvatron and Cyclonus are both characters that I could read about for a long time to come. I'm happy that the DU itself is coming to an end but didn't mind at all revisiting it. It felt like a way to incorporate the entire IDW continuity from the very beginning and make everything fit together into a nice, softly retconned puzzle.

I've been pretty lukewarm on the overall plot of this event, but the character moments and the setup for the "second seasons" of RiD and MTMTE are enough to keep me satisfied. These last two issues have probably been my favorites from the event so far, especially the confrontation between Chromedome and Prowl.

I wonder to what degree carting around the Heart of Darkness for 6 million years effected Nova Prime? It's clear he was always a tyrant at heart, but there doesn't seem to be any more than that in him in the modern day.

Megatron is a conundrum. We've seen him before his days as despot, and he was a peaceful bot who preached non-violent resistance to the Senate's actions. At the same time, we have seen him be utterly ruthless when it comes to dealing with his enemies. I think his discussion of "patience" in this issue is relevant to his personality. Megatron ultimately does want what is best for Cybertron, but he lacks the patience to truly see it through. He's all too willing to take shortcuts and let his temper get the better of him when it comes to achieving his goals, which may explain why he so quickly swings from introspection to MURDERMURDERMURDER.

I will make a prediction regarding the next issue. Optimus and his crew still need to get back to the regular universe, and, when we last saw them, Cyclonus heard someone "singing." I predict that we will see the return of Scourge next issue, and he will provide Optimus and company a means out of the Dead Universe.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 am

As usual, some very nice thoughts on pretty much everything, MrBlack. :)

I completely forgot about the Heart of Darkness. It would make sense that carry around something like that for so long would twist your personality to the evil especially given where Nova started.

And, yeah, the character moments have made this event for me.

So who dies next issue? We know it's not going to be Prime or Megatron. Were only Bumblebee or Prowl our other choices?

Man, I would hate it to be EITHER of those but I think Bumblebee might be getting killed. :(

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand