Advertisement

Is anyone reading the Blight JL Dark crossover? Is it any g

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 140 posts

Is anyone reading the Blight JL Dark crossover? Is it any g

Postby TimH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Is anyone reading that 18-issue Blight crossover in JL Dark?

Is it any good? Maybe I should ask: is it at least mildly entertaining?

I might restart JL Dark when it ends. Don't know. Barely care. There's only so much "team gets f-cked by John Constantine again" that I can take, especially when Zatanna is a favorite character of mine.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Is anyone reading the Blight JL Dark crossover? Is it a

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:19 pm

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I endorse your post.

Obviosuly, the Blight storyline isn't the headliner Forever Evil is. It's one of those quiet things that sneaks up and grabs you (at least it did me). Between the always excellent JM DeMatteis's 10 issue and Raw Fawkes' 8, these two have woven an great story that goes from heaven to hell (as well as trips across the globe).

And calling it the Blight crossover isn't quite accurate as it encompasses a lot more than just that.

Give it a shot if you like your characters magical (i.e. Phantom Stranger, Constantine, Swamp Thing, Pandora, Nightmare Nurse and (spoiler) Spectre, Felix Faust, Nick Necro, Zatanna, Deadman, Dead Aquaman, Zauriel, God-doG, etc.).

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:43 pm

Heck yeah, it's great!

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 539 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:It sucks.

Figured. ;) "Blight" sounds entirely too much like "Harvest" to win my confidence.

And 18 issues??? Even Brian Bendis must be grumbling about the pacing.

"It's like 'The Great Darkness Saga' but with the polish of 'Kraven's Last Hunt'".

No, just kidding.

It's the length of the "Great Darkness Saga" plus "Kraven's Last Hunt".

:smt011

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:42 pm

On the topic of DC Dark, Has the Constantine solo title improved any after the first 5 issues which, for me, ranged from woeful to bad?

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:37 am

I wasn't aware the Blight thing was still going on actually until I read this post.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:36 am

TimH wrote:
Figured. ;) "Blight" sounds entirely too much like "Harvest" to win my confidence.

And 18 issues??? Even Brian Bendis must be grumbling about the pacing.

"It's like 'The Great Darkness Saga' but with the polish of 'Kraven's Last Hunt'".

No, just kidding.

It's the length of the "Great Darkness Saga" plus "Kraven's Last Hunt".

:smt011

They're modern comics though' so even though the publishing schedule is long and ridiculous, if you put all 18 issues together and read them back to back you'd have about as much story as a single issue of Claremont Xmen.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 268 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:They're modern comics though' so even though the publishing schedule is long and ridiculous, if you put all 18 issues together and read them back to back you'd have about as much story as a single issue of Claremont Xmen.

This is soooo true.

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:if you put all 18 issues together and read them back to back you'd have about as much story as a single issue of Claremont Xmen.

Heh, this is both good and bad. I'm a quarter-way through the Great Darkness Saga (started reading in 2012 ;) ). Each issue is a magnificent amount of story--but by god, it takes me 45 minutes to read an issue, and afterward I need a concentration break. In the prelude issues, Levitz and Giffen pack 2 complete stories and one on-going story into each issue.

And, then there is Grinnin' Brian Bendis's "Books of Pillow Talk".

"You called me fat."
"Did I call you fat?"
"You did."
"I meant phat. It's different."
"Not different."
"Phat means good."
"Good? Chubby cats are good."
"No, good-good. As in huggable."
"Huggable? I'm a pillow now?"
"A good pillow."
"Oh, you're in trouble."
"Me?"
"Yes, you."

STOP! PLEASE! LUKE CAGE AND JESSICA DON'T HANG OUT AT COFFEE SHOPS "TALKING ABOUT NOTHING."

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 pm

TimH wrote:Heh, this is both good and bad. I'm a quarter-way through the Great Darkness Saga (started reading in 2012 ;) ). Each issue is a magnificent amount of story--but by god, it takes me 45 minutes to read an issue, and afterward I need a concentration break. In the prelude issues, Levitz and Giffen pack 2 complete stories and one on-going story into each issue.

I don't consider this both good and bad... I consider it great. Comic-books used to have some MEAT to them. it used to take me about 25-30 minutes to read something by Bill Mantlo (who easily had Levitz beat nine ways to Sunday for verbosity). For 40 cents. That works out to like 1.5 cents a minute.

Today's comics have about about half as much verbiage (or less than that) of a Levitz/Giffen GDS issue, and probably less than a quarter of a Mantlo book, and take maybe 10 minutes to read -- for $4. That's 40 cents a minute. I mean seriously? For $4, I'm done in 10 minutes? What the hell costs that much? I can drive on a $3.45 gallon of gas for longer than 10 minutes. If movies cost, per minute, what a comic-book costs, the upcoming Cap/Winter Soldier movie would cost ya on the order of $50.

I mean geez... tomorrow is New Comic-book Night. Even on a good NCN, I get maybe 5 titles at once. That costs on the order of $20, and I'm done with the whole shebang in about 45-50 minutes? That's freaking insane.

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Chessack wrote:it used to take me about 25-30 minutes to read something by Bill Mantlo (who easily had Levitz beat nine ways to Sunday for verbosity).

Bill Mantlo introduced me to comics via Micronauts and Rom.

It is hard to find that level of creativity nowadays. Everything is rehashed. And this isn't me being nostalgic about the "good old days"--it's me wanting to move past the good old days! Jude and Company aren't off the mark when they joke about that 80 year old guy in Cleveland who's excited about the Batman 66 and Green Hornet crossover. Green Hornet??? John Carter of Mars??? Nobody has a new idea? Fifty variants of the Brothers Grimm and Wizard of Oz???

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Ah, yes, Micronauts... I don't have those (my friend collected them, I collected Rom, and we would bring our collections to each other's house and borrow them so we could read both). I still remember reading the first splash page of one of the Micronauts issues with Acroyear doing a monologue... It felt like it took me 15 minutes just to read and understand the first page.

On my blog, I've started doing a review of one issue of Rom per week, for the next year or so. I just did the first two issues. Although I know the story of Rom like the back of my hand, I was still amazed at the depth of these stories, the quality of the dialogue, the incredible eloquence of Mantlo's narrations. As I read these two issues, I keep thinking... THIS is how comic-books should be. Intelligent. Meaty. Interesting. Fun. Original. Full of action and drama and suspense. Mysterious. Heart-warming. Mantlo does all those things in two freaking issues. And packs more quality story into it than in 30 issues of one of these empty New 52 series.

Mantlo was truly the master. Back in the day I always considered him the greatest writer in the history of comics. Over the years, I forgot about Rom. Oh, not completely. I knew I loved the character and the comics and all that, but I forgot just how good Rom was. And after reading these two issues over again, I still consider Mantlo the greatest writer in the history of comics. His work should be required reading for anyone who ever plans to write anything in the comic world.

Compared to Rom and Micronauts, and to the other great stuff that was going on in both DC and Marve during the latter part of the Bronze Age, what we have now from the Big Two is just a bunch of husks -- empty shells that look like the comics of the old days, but have none of the originality and quality of what was going on in the 80s.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 pm

TimH wrote:
Bill Mantlo introduced me to comics via Micronauts and Rom.

It is hard to find that level of creativity nowadays. Everything is rehashed. And this isn't me being nostalgic about the "good old days"--it's me wanting to move past the good old days! Jude and Company aren't off the mark when they joke about that 80 year old guy in Cleveland who's excited about the Batman 66 and Green Hornet crossover. Green Hornet??? John Carter of Mars??? Nobody has a new idea? Fifty variants of the Brothers Grimm and Wizard of Oz???

Los Angeles. Stanley Moore lives in Los Angeles.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand