Advertisement

DC Shocker: DC to Cancel Just Announced Infinity Man and the Forever People in Ten to Twelve Months

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: DC Shocker: DC to Cancel Just Announced Infinity Man and

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:17 am

Weird, the Forever People are probably the least of the New Gods, and this is the book they bring back?

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 268 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 am

Draco x wrote:I will bet a dollar myself on this.

The problem is, if we all bet it will be canceled, who's going to take the other side of the bet?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:42 am

Chessack wrote:
The problem is, if we all bet it will be canceled, who's going to take the other side of the bet?

Keith Giffen?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:40 am

Punchy wrote:Weird, the Forever People are probably the least of the New Gods, and this is the book they bring back?

One would hope that DC would be planning on having someone like Azzarello and Chiang on a New Gods book (even though their initial vision of New Genesis was quite generic and underwhelming).

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am

nietoperz wrote:
Keith Giffen?

Keith knows better. He's the undisputed king of series cancelled before their time.

/RIP Heckler

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am

Log-Man wrote:
Keith knows better. He's the undisputed king of series cancelled before their time.

/RIP Heckler

Add Trencher, Video Jack, March Hare, Thanos, & Vext to that list

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm

six months top
I mean really... I used to be a DC zombie and even I never ready the Forever People

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:14 pm

What is the reluctance on DC's and Marvel's part to push ongoing series in lieu of mini-series and maxi-series?
It's a different market today. More people might hop on board if they know it's a finite story, especially given how often new series are shitcanned after 10-12 issues anyway.
-

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Amoebas wrote:Add Trencher, Video Jack, March Hare, Thanos, & Vext to that list

Exactly. There's a lot of good stuff there that just didn't make the financial cut, and I have a feeling this will be one more. I can't imagine Didio as a writer is a selling point.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm a huge Fourth World fan but why the Forever People of all things?

Amoebas is right. As far as Kirby characters go they aren't his best. I can't think of a single group of characters who are so tied to the era in which they were created.
They are basically space hippies. Jack's reaction to the 60's counterculture movement. So are these new versions going to be milennials or something?

I'd be more interested in a Mr. Miracle and Big Barda series.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I'd be more interested in a Mr. Miracle and Big Barda series.
How many fanboys have to repeatedly ask for this before DC will relent? :smt011
-

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 268 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm

outsider wrote:What is the reluctance on DC's and Marvel's part to push ongoing series in lieu of mini-series and maxi-series?

Time was, miniseries were used to test the waters for a full series. They would give a character or a setting or a team a trial run in a 4- or 6-part story. If it sold well, they would then get an ongoing series started.

This didn't always work, because a lot of times they would change the creative team from the mini to the full series -- for example, Hawk and Dove, the mini, did really well in 1988 with Rob Leifeld, who was a new artist at the time and generated a lot of interest, as the penciler. When the mini did well, they kept the writers (Barb and Karl Kesel), but by the Leifeld had moved over to Marvel, so DC had no choice but to use competent, but less-than-awe-inspiring Greg Guler (Gulers pencils were fine, but generic and not remotely stylized, and the stylized stuff was "in" back then). The series then didn't do as well, because people didn't like the artwork as much.

So, it's not a guarantee even if the mini does well that the ongoing will. But at least DC tried to test the waters back then (as did Marvel) rather than just shooting the moon with an "ongoing" that they have no earthly idea will work or not.

The other thing they used to do in the past was have an ongoing series with a main story from a rock-solid character, like Superman or The Thing, who they knew would sell, but then have back-up stories, sometimes that went on for several parts, which would test the waters. For example, Supergirl had a backup feature in Action Comics for years, before she was given headliner status in Adventure Comics. Only after a decade of data showed that she could hold her own was she made a headliner. Lots of other characters started out with "test the waters" back up features first (the LSH comes to mind) before being given their own title.

I don't know that it would work these days, because anthology books are not "in" anymore -- Action Comics is just a regular Superman title now, rather than being a title that Superman headlined to get the readers in the door but then showcased other characters by less experienced talent in the backup features. It's rare to see these types of titles anymore.

So the problem for DC and Marvel is that they don't seem to have a mechanism anymore to test the waters. They just shoot the moon with an ongoing and like actually shooting the moon in a game of Hearts, the strategy pays off only rarely -- more often than not, you end up just taking a hit on a bunch of points and losing the rubber.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Juan Cena wrote:So, nobody noticed that Serifan is apparently now a black girl? :?

From a Newsarama interview today:
And Seraphina, one of our new characters and who's the sister of Vykin, basically is the one who's filled with the most energy, and trying to make the most change in the best way possible.

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 386 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm

This is nothing. When DC cancels a series while announcing it, then that's news.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand