Advertisement

Big day for IDW Transformers tomorrow

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 49 posts

Big day for IDW Transformers tomorrow

Postby MrBlack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 am

Wednesday will see the release of Transformers: Robots in Disguise #27, the penultimate chapter of the Dark Cybertron event, and Regeneration One #100, the final chapter of Simon Furman's continuation of his Transformers run at Marvel.

I haven't been following Regeneration One, but I read the first trade the other night, and I've caught up with a few of the later issues, including #99. It's been a pretty grim story overall, and I do not see things ending well for anyone, Autobots or Decepticons, in the final issue. I'd love to hear some thoughts from those who have been keeping up with the story about what they expect to read tomorrow, particularly with respect to Primus' role in the story.

With the preview of Transformers: Windblade #1 out in the wild, we have a pretty good idea of the new status quo with respect to Cybertron, which takes a bit of wind out of the sails of the Dark Cybertron event. That said, RiD #27 looks to be an exciting chapter, because we have been promised a death in the Autobot ranks! Ultra Magnus, Bumblebee, Prowl, or Rodimus: Who will temporarily die until Hasbro decides they want to put their toy on the shelves again!

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to this issue just because the death, no matter how temporary it might be, promises to shake up the status quo among the Autobots. My money is on Prowl. He's in a perfect story position to make a heroic sacrifice to make up for all the crap he's pulled of late. Both Bumblebee and Rodimus are primed to step out of their leadership roles post-Dark Cybertron, so it would make sense for one or the other to kick it. I think Bumblebee is more likely, if just because Rodimus may have a way out of the Dead Universe that does not require his sacrifice. Ultra Magnus is a long shot, given that he seemingly died TWICE during the course of Roberts' run on MTMTE, and there is no story reason for him to sacrifice himself, but maybe Roberts and Barber will throw us a curve ball.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Re: Big day for IDW Transformers tomorrow

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:29 pm

For some reason Bumblebee is really popular now. Thought he was okay in G1 but he was never my favorite character and I think he lost a lot in the live action movie and since.

I don't think it will be him, not only because of his popularity, but cause he will be headlining the next animated series. That may mean nothing but still...

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 pm

sdsichero wrote:For some reason Bumblebee is really popular now. Thought he was okay in G1 but he was never my favorite character and I think he lost a lot in the live action movie and since.

I don't think it will be him, not only because of his popularity, but cause he will be headlining the next animated series. That may mean nothing but still...

I think 'Bee had a fair amount of popularity at the time of the G1 show (he was one of the few original cast to stick around, and among those who continued to get new toys), but his popularity really tapered off until the Bay films. I always liked him in the G1 show, even if he wasn't my favorite (which was Jazz, of course). He's actually the only Transformer in the Bay films I actually like. The Autobots, Prime included, are far too blood thirsty, and the Decepticons are slobbering brutes. Bumblebee is the only one even remotely relatable.

Hasbro has largely been hands-off with respect to the IDW stuff, but lately a lot more of the toy designs have been slipping in. If they are getting more involved in the IDW-verse, I don't think there is any way Bumblebee is the one to die. Prowl is still my strong favorite.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Prowls my best bet too.

Regeneration One has been very weird. It seems like no one is destined for a happy ending.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:36 am

Just read Dark Cybertron 11...won't spoil it by I'll just say that it was well worth the price.

Don't know how long term this will be, but it actually does feel like a true "everything changes and nothing will ever be the same" event.

BTW, I think I'll be nominating Megatrons speech to Galvatron as my moment of the week.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:18 am

Ugh. I already read Transformers : Robots in Disguise #27 so I know who dies and I don't trust myself to discuss it until tomorrow. Hell, even writing a review of the thing is hard because the death is such a huge focus for me.

Anyway, I gave my thoughts on who was gonna kick it last week in the MTMTE #27 Review thread. Was I right? We'll find out soon enough.

Whatever the case, it's a stellar issue. Andrew Griffith kills the art and Livio Ramondelli is no where to be seen. :)

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 am

Good issue, although the Brainstorm thing was a little too convenient. They've been setting it up through the event, but it is a pretty significant retcon (although it may explain why the Sparkeater ignored Brainstorm way back at the beginning of MTMTE).

"Later. We'll talk later."

As soon as I read that line, I knew who the casualty was going to be.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:31 pm

And Regeneration One...jeez, Furman wasn't kidding when he said it would be a "definite ending!"

I did like the references both to the ending of the Gen 2 comic and to Furman's "Alignment" novella.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand