Advertisement

Miracleman #4 (The man with no time for crime Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Miracleman #4 (The man with no time for crime Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:44 pm

It’s no surprise, but these reprints of classic, legendary stories continue to be classic and legendary. It’s just so great to finally be able to read these issues properly, and not on a computer screen.

This issue sees Miracleman attack Project Zarathustra, go up against Big Ben, and learn some more of the truth about his past. I love the way Moore deconstructs Miracleman, and the superhero in general here, and really makes things as real as possible. Miracleman finding out that his memories were actually fake was just a tragic moment. I really enjoyed seeing Moore have fun with the Big Ben character and how over the top he was, and how at first it was funny, but by the end, it was sad too. That’s one of the best things about the Original Writer, he can write some truly great comedy, but it always has depth behind it.

I was also very much intrigued by the one page scene focusing on Liz Moran and her fears about the baby. Like most people, I’ve heard about the infamous ‘Birth’ issue, but never read it. I’m dreading it right about now.

The Warpsmiths story was once again very weird, and it does feel out of place when compared to the main story, like someone just dropped a 2000 AD Futureshock into the middle of things. But hey, it’s better than an Anglo story, and the art from Garry Leach is excellent. Alan Davies’ work on the main story is also very good, it’s very cool for me to see what his style was like 30 years ago when compared to today. Overall, this is just a great package, the new colouring looks brilliant, and the story is living up to all of my high expectations and then some.

One question though, was the use of the N-word censored in the original Warrior printing? Marvel have kept all the nudity intact for the print edition at least, so I was surprised to see ‘N-----‘ rather than the full word. Not that I mind, it’s a horrible word, but still interesting.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Miracleman #4 (The man with no time for crime Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:41 am

Amoebas wrote:Image

Thanks, I'm surprised at this, I'm pretty sure Marvel have used the N-word in Mature MAX titles before, in Supreme Power, Alias and Punisher.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Miracleman #4 (The man with no time for crime Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Punchy wrote:
Thanks, I'm surprised at this, I'm pretty sure Marvel have used the N-word in Mature MAX titles before, in Supreme Power, Alias and Punisher.

I've never understood the use of "N-word". The moment it's uttered or read, it immediately conveys the very thing it's trying to avoid.

I'd prefer if both 'nigger' and 'n-word' were never used again - unless it's in historical context.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand