Advertisement

Trillium #8 (Not broken anymore Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Trillium #8 (Not broken anymore Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:42 am

Jeff Lemire wraps up his epic love story in fine style, as Nika and William finally reunite and save humanity. This has been a strange series throughout, and this issue did end on a rather odd note, and with plenty of questions left unanswered, but it was still very satisfying, and actually quite beautiful.

In the Year 3797, William, Nika and Clay are the only humans left not in Cryo-sleep, and therefore the only ones who are able to stop the crash-landing of a ship infested with the evil Caul. Clay valiantly sacrifices himself, flying a smaller ship into the Caul, allowing Nika and William to fly away with the Cryo-Chamber and get to safety. Right as he explodes, Clay remembers his real history and timeline, which was a nice moment. This series has been heavily focused on the 2 main characters, and rightly so, but it was good to see a secondary character get some redemption.

However, Nika and William haven’t escaped unscathed, as their ship was hit by some debris, and they need to uncouple the cockpit from the Cryo-chamber and wouldn’t you know, it needs to be done manually. Rather than be apart from each other, they decide to do it together, and out in the middle of space, separate the 2 ship-parts. Yes, this is Nika and William dooming themselves to die, but it’s saving the rest of humanity in the process, as Essie takes over control of the ship and will try and pilot it to a new planet, far away from the Caul. As sad as it was when Clay died, it was worse when Essie was separated from the two humans, that computer was a vital, ever-present part of this book.

Rather than just float around aimlessly until running out of air, Nika tells William that they should try and go into the nearby Black Hole. The weird interdimensional journey from last issue apparently took place inside a Black Hole, or at least Nika thinks so, and if they enter it, they might find their way to some new place. Or they might just die. Our two humans float towards the hole and get sucked in, which leads to a final, trippy sequence, and even, somehow, William and Nika saving each other in their previous moments of need. We then see the two lovers entwined together, which blends into a child’s drawing on a primitive tent. These tents are surrounded by a space-ship, so I’m guessing this is the new home of humanity. Nika and William succeeded!

The art once again was brilliant, and I feel that I’ve been remiss in not mentioning Jose Villarrubia’s colours as much as I should, but he and Lemire just work wonderfully together. And to think that before Sweet Tooth I thought Lemire’s art wouldn’t look good with colour! This was a brilliant ending to a very unique comic, I can’t wait to go back and read it all over again. If you like Lemire’s DC superhero work, make sure to pick this up, it’s a complete story, and it features something for everyone, history, science fiction, action, mystery, and most important of all… romance.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Trillium #8 (Not broken anymore Spoilers)

Postby habitual » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:57 am

I gave up on this around issue 6 because of the stupid page flipping.

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:03 pm

habitual wrote:I gave up on this around issue 6 because of the stupid page flipping.

Hab

That was the worst issue for the page flipping and the only one that was that bad though.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 pm

As for this issue, I loved the ending. It was so trippy, but still left me feeling satisfied. I agree with Punchy that Clay's and Elsie's exits from the story were sad to read about.

Thank you Troy for the sig

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Looking back on the series as a whole, it was OK. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. I think Lemire's art really improved over the series and some of the double and full page spreads were pretty great. The writing was OK - Lemire melancholy sprinkled over a sci-fi setting, but it never really meshed together for me.

As for the ending, I'll take '2001: A Space Odyssey'-esque weirdness over "boy gets girl, lives happily ever after" any day of the week, however it didn't have the impact I think Lemire was going for on those final pages.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand