Advertisement

DC Solicits September's "Future End" Comics, Doesn't Name a Single Creative Team

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 235 posts

DC Solicits September's "Future End" Comics, Doesn't Name a Single Creative Team

Postby LOLtron » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 pm

DC Solicits September's

Want to know who's writing DC's September comics? TOO BAD.

Source: Newsarama

DC has released solicitations for their September "Futures' End" event, a linewide event month which will see the books take place five years into the future.  The solicitations were released two months early, as DC will need additional time to produce the 3D covers associated with the event, thus avoiding the "3DNado" clusterfuck that occurred last year.  

Below is an example of one of the solicitations released a few minutes ago:

JUSTICE LEAGUE: FUTURES END #1
Advance solicit • On sale SEPTEMBER 10
32 pg, FC • RATED T
3-D Motion Edition: $3.99 US
2-D Standard Edition: $2.99 US
The mystery of the Martian Manhunter is revealed at last as his decades-long plan for world domination comes to fruition! Continues in this month’s JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED: FUTURES END #1!

Does anyone notice what's missing in the solicitations?  The creative credits.  That's right, DC has released an entire month's worth of solicitations without bothering to name a single creator attached to the event.  Instead, the company is expecting retailers and customers to order these books based off of one-sentence plot summaries alone.  Retailers won't even get covers to help push their ordering decisions, as they weren't ready to be released either. 

I'm sure that DC will be announcing creative teams in the next month or two, but these solicitations represent a dangerous trend.  DC is hoping that retailers and fans will be more attracted to the characters and titles of a book than the quality of the story or the strength of the creative team. For all retailers know, all forty-one books could be written and drawn by Rob Liefeld, but DC will expect retailers to order them en masse since they're connected to their latest September gimmick month.  Furthermore, these solicitations represent a clear sign that editorial is coming up with these stories first and then finding creators instead of allowing creative teams to....well, be creative and come up with their own stories. 

Sadly, we all know these books are probably going to sell regardless of who writes and draws them.  Judging from last September's sales, comic fans seem to be attracted to mediocre comics with fancy covers, regardless of how bad the content is.  And it seems DC is banking on that to sell their latest gimmicky event. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

HNutz likes this post.

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: DC Solicits September's "Future End" Comics, Doesn't Nam

Postby 3MJ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Ugh. The exact opposite way of where comics should be going. Not surprising though.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 531 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Jubilee wrote:Ugh. The exact opposite way of where comics should be going. Not surprising though.

But 3-D covers!!!!
Image Image Image ImageImage

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 11 posts
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

Postby prozacman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 pm

I wonder how long it will take for this batch of 3D covers to melt in Zech's car?

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 531 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:17 pm

prozacman wrote:I wonder how long it will take for this batch of 3D covers to melt in Zech's car?

Image Image Image ImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1010 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:26 pm

LOLtron wrote:The mystery of the Martian Manhunter is revealed at last as his decades-long plan for world domination comes to fruition!

Can't really say that this idea really leaves me with a great deal of confidence and that is coming from somebody who is actually somewhat excited about this event. :?

Did the New 52 run out of Oreos (Chocos) or as a result of Barry Allen's twisted time caper, did they ever even exist at all?! :shock:
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:38 pm

This was the really interesting one:
BOOSTER GOLD: FUTURES END #1
Advance solicit • On sale SEPTEMBER 24
32 pg, FC • RATED T

Trapped out of time on a world that defies reason, Booster Gold struggles to escape the fate that has held him and so many forgotten heroes captive!

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1010 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Trapped out of time on a world that defies reason, Booster Gold struggles to escape the fate that has held him and so many forgotten heroes captive!

:shock:

And just like that, I am intrigued again.
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 351 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:33 pm

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED: FUTURES END #1
Advance solicit • On sale SEPTEMBER 17
32 pg, FC • RATED T
In the concluding chapter of the epic story that began in this month’s JUSTICE LEAGUE: FUTURES END #1, the armies of Mars rise against the unsuspecting population of Earth – and only the combined might of the Justice League and the Legion of Super-Heroes can stand against them!
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:53 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

I noticed that.

I'm not sure exactly which Legion of Super-Heroes will be used. The one from the Legion comic which was supposedly retconned as being from Earth-2, or the Grant Morrison version from Action Comics? At this point there's no telling.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 pm

They just mean every hero not named Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, or arguably Green Lantern. Well, and Supergirl who technically is in every book DC publishes.

So, pretty much all the rest.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 351 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:18 pm

achilles wrote: Well, and Supergirl who technically is in every book DC publishes.

Please explain this :smt017
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:19 pm

the lack of creators is pretty ridiculous, i hate to say it but, reset the counter.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Please explain this :smt017

Okay, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but let's see:

Supergirl
Red Lantern
the newest Justice League

Plus random Superman books.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 585 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Trapped out of time on a world that defies reason, Booster Gold struggles to escape the fate that has held him and so many forgotten heroes captive!

Grayson wrote:
:shock:

And just like that, I am intrigued again.

See, I'd like to be optimistic about who that might include, but I can't shake the feeling that they're talking about characters who are forgotten in the context of this story and it'll wind up being someone like that purple Teen Titan...

achilles wrote:
Okay, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but let's see:

Supergirl
Red Lantern
the newest Justice League

Plus random Superman books.

But not the Batbooks. So 50% of DC's books are out. :P

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand