Advertisement

Person of Interest

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Person of Interest

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm

OK, the unpacking of the suitcases made me laugh. :lol:

Thank you Troy for the sig

The Old Doctor likes this post.

Advertisement

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 718 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I dig Root, but I think she is going to sacrifice herself for her god...

And I look forward to an alternate opening with the Decima dude doing the introduction and not Harold once his machine is up and running.

That's looking even more possible now. :(

"Find me Harold Finch."

Yeah, that's not good.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 942 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:53 am

The thing I think is this, How can the machine truly be trusted? How could it be threatened by Decima's machine, unless it really just enjoys being the sole being of that power? Is it's drive to protect itself too strong, given the creation of Root? I'd be amazed if Finch doesn't have a nervous breakdown should he think he created the greatest monster.

The look between Reese and Shaw when they saw that Finch had ran off on them... :o
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:21 pm

So apparently tonight's episode is a rerun (it's the one with Olivia's partner from FRINGE). Is it just me or are the TV seasons in general shorter/having more reruns than usual?

Oh well, guess I'll watch Fargo instead...

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 pm

HNutz wrote:So apparently tonight's episode is a rerun (it's the one with Olivia's partner from FRINGE). Is it just me or are the TV seasons in general shorter/having more reruns than usual?

Oh well, guess I'll watch Fargo instead...

I think they're the same length but they have more re-runs. Like they don't have enough summer stuff so they stretch it out. Remember when they would air a series and then in the summer they would just re-run it all. Now they have to have original summer shows.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:The thing I think is this, How can the machine truly be trusted? How could it be threatened by Decima's machine, unless it really just enjoys being the sole being of that power? Is it's drive to protect itself too strong, given the creation of Root? I'd be amazed if Finch doesn't have a nervous breakdown should he think he created the greatest monster.

The look between Reese and Shaw when they saw that Finch had ran off on them... :o

The machine has never once freaked out about the existence of another machine. And though it has acted to protect itself, it has never killed. In fact, when it recruited Root, she pointed out that the machine doesn't actually want her to kill.

Finch said it. The machine was not designed to kill, and that hasn't changed just because it is now acting of its own accord.

The fear is a human element. The humans are the ones under implicit threat by Decima and the Agency and those freedom terrorist dudes. The machine doesn't give them directives aside from Root (who kinda sorta needs a lot of guidance to keep from killing all the things). It doesn't tell them how to handle the numbers it gives them...

It trusts them to figure it out for themselves...

In this case, it is not the machine's trustworthiness which is an issue. It is the trustworthiness of the humans with which the machine works.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 942 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Strict31 wrote:
The machine has never once freaked out about the existence of another machine. And though it has acted to protect itself, it has never killed. In fact, when it recruited Root, she pointed out that the machine doesn't actually want her to kill.

Finch said it. The machine was not designed to kill, and that hasn't changed just because it is now acting of its own accord.

The fear is a human element. The humans are the ones under implicit threat by Decima and the Agency and those freedom terrorist dudes. The machine doesn't give them directives aside from Root (who kinda sorta needs a lot of guidance to keep from killing all the things). It doesn't tell them how to handle the numbers it gives them...

It trusts them to figure it out for themselves...

In this case, it is not the machine's trustworthiness which is an issue. It is the trustworthiness of the humans with which the machine works.

But why would it need to protect itself from another AI? What would be the rational of it?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
But why would it need to protect itself from another AI? What would be the rational of it?

We don't actually know that the machine believes it needs protection from the other machine. So far, it's just the human characters suggesting anything remotely close to this. Root mentioned something to Finch about two gods going to war, but she's batshit crazy, so...

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:02 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:And I look forward to an alternate opening with the Decima dude doing the introduction and not Harold once his machine is up and running.

i think it might be tonight...

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:02 pm

Pretty cool episode. But I was expecting Root to do something more to all of those servers than just heist seven of them. Too bad she can't call her SHIELD boyfriend. He seems like he could use the work right about now.

Who in the fuck are these Decima guys anyway? Sounded like Root called them ex Marine Force Recon. I have a difficult time buying the idea that so many ex-special forces guys would be willing to operate against civilians (at least, in their own country) for something as paltry as a paycheck. You see that in movies all the time, but in real life, these guys shit red white and blue. The whole mercenary thing is believable up to a certain point. And the idea that they are fanatics...Well, it would take a hell of a lot of fanaticism to accept an order from some rich British guy to commit suicide.

You might find that rare individual among a crowd, but they've got an endless supply of these dudes, and they're all highly trained. Such disposability does not breed competence. And it is not conducive to victory.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 pm

So, there's a trial tonight....

And, to save that lady's life (can't think of her name offhand), Harold just admitted that he built the machine.

During a live-streamed "trial".

Wow!

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 842 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 pm

My theory is...

The Machine the created Vigilance to watch itself, in case it got abused...

The text messages are from the machine

HNutz likes this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby HNutz » Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:My theory is...

The Machine the created Vigilance to watch itself, in case it got abused...

The text messages are from the machine

Well, apparently you're not far off...

Not OUR Machine but the folks behind Samaritan created Vigilance and recruited "Peter Collier" (the old man recruited him personally).

Oh, and they planted the bomb in the courthouse, which they used as a reason to get Samaritan up and running with government feeds.

And the "live broadcast"... not so much, apparently.

The library isn't safe anymore, they're using fake identies Root put together (which are blind spots for Samaritan) and she says they have to BECOME these people otherwise they'll be found and killed.

And now they're going their separate ways to avoid the new machine? :(

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue May 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Nope, I was wrong :smt005

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue May 13, 2014 10:06 pm

HNutz wrote:
Well, apparently you're not far off...

Not OUR Machine but the folks behind Samaritan created Vigilance and recruited "Peter Collier" (the old man recruited him personally).

Oh, and they planted the bomb in the courthouse, which they used as a reason to get Samaritan up and running with government feeds.

And the "live broadcast"... not so much, apparently.

The library isn't safe anymore, they're using fake identies Root put together (which are blind spots for Samaritan) and she says they have to BECOME these people otherwise they'll be found and killed.

And now they're going their separate ways to avoid the new machine? :(

like that will stay forever... lol The band will be back together.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum