Thursday, August 25, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Assholes welcome."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Things DC Doesn't Like!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles

Fagorstorm

Postby achilles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:22 am

About Wally...after reading why the change was made, (they admit it was a "diversity" thing), I've come to the conclusion that DC is either being run for the guys putting it out, or they're trying to guess the market rather than simply going for good stories.

Diversity's fine, but like anything else in a story, you can't force it. You have to let it develop naturally, rather than ramming it down reader's throats like DC feels it must. Frankly, it bespeaks their lack of confidence that minority characters can fly on their own. Sure, there are relatively few minority heroes in comics, but that's a natural result of the medium having been written for a certain audience for almost 70 years now. Creating new characters is the way to go, rather than changing existing characters just to meet an arbitrary management goal. Though evidently DC feels themselves not up to that task, and hence the short-sighted short cuts it feels it needs to take.

In general, it feels like they've abandoned solid story-telling in favor of cheap gimmicks. It's rather ironic that perhaps the most critically acclaimed, and certainly one of the most hyped book of the prior decade for DC, New Frontier, probably couldn't get published these days there, precisely because management's issues would get in the way.

Honestly, throwing grimdark and outreach by fiat isn't really a plan. Good stories that advance DC history mixed with new creative input and new characters are a plan. But then DC does seem to be embarrassed about its history and tradition, and thinks a return to 90s Image story-telling is the answer.

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:25 pm

achilles wrote:In general, it feels like they've abandoned solid story-telling in favor of cheap gimmicks.

It feels like... it feels like?

There is no question... they have LONG SINCE abandoned solid story-telling for cheap gimmicks. The whole New 52 is a cheap gimmick.

The problem is that it works. We idiots buy the stuff. So they keep making money. So they have no incentive to stop doing it.

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 pm

I think the new Wally will go over like a lead balloon. He has a sizable fan base.
My Wally pitch would sell more books than this lame reboot.

achilles

Fagorstorm

Postby achilles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Chessack wrote:
It feels like... it feels like?

There is no question... they have LONG SINCE abandoned solid story-telling for cheap gimmicks. The whole New 52 is a cheap gimmick.

The problem is that it works. We idiots buy the stuff. So they keep making money. So they have no incentive to stop doing it.

Not me. I switched to the smaller publishers since the reboot, with an occasional DC buy to check things out. Which is down massively from preboot days, even the darkest days at the end of things DC.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:18 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:They black-washedhim :P

Is he Kanye's brother?

I feel bad about using the blackout code for that :oops:

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

:smt017

Diversity and Wally?

What are you all talking about?

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Chessack wrote:Things DC doesn't like:

1. Any fan who disagrees with them.
2. Any character who isn't Batman
3. Quality

4. Common Sense

Fixed.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm

GOSD wrote::smt017

Diversity and Wally?

What are you all talking about?

See the Flash #30 preview

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:17 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
See the Flash #30 preview

Is Wally supposed to be black? :smt017

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm

holtom2000 wrote:I think the new Wally will go over like a lead balloon. He has a sizable fan base.
My Wally pitch would sell more books than this lame reboot.

But he's gonna be the new "fan favorite character" and future booty call of Harper Row.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 pm

GOSD wrote:
Is Wally supposed to be black? :smt017

It's a new character, he just happens to share the name wally west. :smt102

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Mark Waid

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:43 am

Lord Ice wrote:
But he's gonna be the new "fan favorite character" and future booty call of Harper Row.

ugh. it feels like a focus group wrote this change. go create something new ... just awful

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:56 am

doombug wrote:It's a new character, he just happens to share the name wally west. :smt102

:smt011

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:07 am

Things DC doesn't like: my money, apparently.

leave a comment with facebook