Advertisement

DC to Celebrate Batman Day with Free Re-Written Copy of Detective Comics #27

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 148 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 am

As if every day isn't already Batman Day at DC Comics.

Source: DC Press Release

DC Comics has announced that they will be celebrating Batman's 75th anniversary with "Batman Day", which will take place on July 23rd.  To mark the occasion, DC is distributing free copies of Detective Comics #27, which will feature a re-worked version of Batman's first appearance with a script by Brad Meltzer and artwork by Chip Kidd.   DC did not specify if this script by Brad Meltzer was the same script previously illustrated by Bryan Hitch in the Detective Comics #27 released by DC Comics earlier this month.  

The comic will be available for free both at traditional retailers and online via various online retail outlets, including DC's website.  

In addition, DC will also be distributing "Batman 75th Anniversary capes" and masks inspired by popular incarnations of Batman.  DC will also be partnering with Random House to celebrate Batman day at a number of libraries on Saturday, July 26th.  

I'm not going to complain about DC giving out free stuff, although I certainly hope that the company takes time to recognize Bill Finger's contributions to Batman.  They won't, but a man can dream, can't he? 

Written or Contributed by BlueStreak

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: DC to Celebrate Batman Day with Free Re-Written Copy of

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:29 pm

As if DC hasn't let Brad Meltzer f**k up enough of their properties already, now they let him f**k over the memories of Bob Kane and Bill Finger.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Wasn't Meltzer's original script to Detective Comics #27 pretty faithful to the Kane & Finger version ? Granted they had to make it fit into modern times with dialogue, cell phones, etc but they tried to emulate the Kane/Finger story panel-for-panel.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

SporkBot
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm a big Batman fan, so I may not turn down free Bat-masks and capes. Even though I'll agree the Dark Knight is rather oversaturated...

HNutz likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 144 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Will it be the Catwoman variant cover?

:lol:

CrazyScarecrow
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: Fear....is power.
Formerly: Steve Dayton

Postby CrazyScarecrow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Why not reprint the original Detective Comics #27 from 1939 with the writing of Bill Finger and plagiaristic art of Bob Kane? In addition they could add the Slam Bradley, Speed Saunders, and Crimson Avenger story to remind us that Batman wasn't the only feature of Detective Comics for a time. :-D

Loving how Batman gets his own day. Definitely will be going to get a mask and cape. I need a Batman cape to go with my Robin cape.

HNutz likes this post.

TimH
Post Whore

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby TimH » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Brad Meltzer will write it?

So, you're saying it will read fast and keep you turning the pages--until the resolution will reveal that 90% of the story was a red herring and leave you feeling that the story was utterly pointless and stupid. And, a beloved character will either be sodomized or brutally mauled (Red Tornado--Brad Meltzer's forgotten victim).

TimH
Post Whore

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby TimH » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, I'm a targetted 45-year-old+ male and I'm going to wear a "die-cut" Batman mask.

HNutz likes this post.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 259 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:33 pm

If they were going to reprint the original, I might buy it. I don't have a reprint of that (in fact the only reprint I have of an original first appearance is Action 252/Supergirl - yeah go figure, me and Supergirl, right?). It would be nice to have the original (I've read it, but I don't own a print copy).

Since they're not doing that, I have no interest.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand