Advertisement

Invincible #111 SPOILERS FOR SURE!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 520 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Invincible #111 SPOILERS FOR SURE!

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am

Holy Damn the things that happened in this issue.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Robot slits Cecil's, then stomps on his head squishing it like a grape! Then he fucking rips Eve leg off! RIPS A PREGNANT WOMANS LEG OFF! WTF KIRKMAN!!

"Oh Well Let the Slaughter Begin"

Shit just got ugly.

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Invincible #111 SPOILERS FOR SURE!

Postby Chessack » Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 am

I stopped reading this series on #41 because too many "super" characters die in one panel as if they are more fragile than a normal non-powered human. And for no reason other than obvious shock value.

Looking back over the series, although there are some good moments and some decent plot threads, it's quite clear to me now that Kirkman is just a "shock jock." And I have no interest in that. So I archived the series at ComiXology, and am done with it. And your description of what happened some 70 issues down the road from where I stopped tells me I did the right thing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am

Yeah I stopped around 75 and I always think about catching up but, this doesn't make me want to do those things.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Rob Thompson
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 876 posts
Title: Star-Lord

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 am

Agent of the Bat wrote:Holy Damn the things that happened in this issue.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Robot slits Cecil's, then stomps on his head squishing it like a grape! Then he fucking rips Eve leg off! RIPS A PREGNANT WOMANS LEG OFF! WTF KIRKMAN!!

"Oh Well Let the Slaughter Begin"

Shit just got ugly.

You know, this is why I like Kirkland; he writes quick, bloody moments well, and has unexpected quick violence show up in his work. It makes it more like life than most writers ever get to. When violent trouble visits, it rarely gives one a lot of notice beforehand.
The clouded mind sees nothing.

Sasher McSmasher likes this post.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu May 22, 2014 11:32 am

You guys are nuts, this book is ridiculously entertaining, lately more than ever. And nobody draws violence and gore like Ott.

2 people like this post.

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Thu May 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I agree with Rob and Lob, Invincible is one of my favorite books easily. I love the mix of every day drama with a heaping helping of over the top superhero shenanigans and violence! I think Ottley is one of the best artists out there and he always keeps me coming back for more.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Chessack wrote:I stopped reading this series on #41 because too many "super" characters die in one panel as if they are more fragile than a normal non-powered human. And for no reason other than obvious shock value.

Looking back over the series, although there are some good moments and some decent plot threads, it's quite clear to me now that Kirkman is just a "shock jock." And I have no interest in that. So I archived the series at ComiXology, and am done with it. And your description of what happened some 70 issues down the road from where I stopped tells me I did the right thing.

AKA stuff actually happens in these comics.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1078 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu May 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Say what you will about the level of violence in Invincible, the fact of the matter is that Kirkman and Ottley consistently produce an incredible superhero comic. As a series, Invincible has never pretended to be something it's not. This isn't some story that was burdened by the "Comics Code Authority" and originally marketed towards children. Invincible doesn't shy away from the violence and gore because violence and gore are two very real and possible consequences of the existence of men and women with powers and abilities on the level of the characters in Invincible. "Super characters die in one panel" in this series because not all super characters are created equal. When Thanos comes to Earth, it's not unreasonable to believe that some of the lower-tier Marvel Characters are going to be up shit creek without a paddle, especially if they choose to engage Thanos head on. People love reading about characters who step up and rise to the challenge but sometimes, unfortunately, that doesn't always work out. In my opinion, it's refreshing to read a series that has actual consequences.
ImageImageImage

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu May 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Grayson wrote: "Super characters die in one panel" in this series because not all super characters are created equal. When Thanos comes to Earth, it's not unreasonable to believe that some of the lower-tier Marvel Characters are going to be up shit creek without a paddle, especially if they choose to engage Thanos head on. People love reading about characters who step up and rise to the challenge but sometimes, unfortunately, that doesn't always work out. In my opinion, it's refreshing to read a series that has actual consequences.

Except that character death should be something of weight and consequence. One-panel death doesn't make the death "realistic" - it trivializes it.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu May 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Chessack wrote:
Except that character death should be something of weight and consequence. One-panel death doesn't make the death "realistic" - it trivializes it.

How can a death be more than one panel? I mean I'm sure bendis could try but surely a death is one panel.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu May 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Chessack wrote:Except that character death should be something of weight and consequence.

In your opinion. Look, this isn't a universe that has been around for the better part of a century, hell, it hasn't even been around for 20 years yet. Some characters are more important than others and while Kirkman does a great job building up secondary and tertiary characters, he can't force every character into a role of importance. If an important character dies in Invincible, that character's death is felt by the other characters and it has consequences. If a character who we were just introduced to or know very little about dies, then we just move on. You know...kinda like in real life when a person who we don't know dies. You can't sit around and mourn everyone and ponder their significance to you or the rest of the world.

This isn't old school DC or Marvel, where every character has to adhere to a strict set of guidelines and every story has to follow a precise direction. Part of what makes Invincible so great is how often Kirkman takes the traditional tropes and cliches of the comics industry and flips them on their heads.

If you don't like the series, fine. Just don't try and make it into something it's not because it's not what you want it to be.

One-panel death doesn't make the death "realistic" - it trivializes it.

I would urge you to go back and watch (or rewatch) Serenity then. There was a particularly powerful death scene in that movie and it wasn't some ridiculously long drawn out process. The character was there...then they weren't. Oh and that was a main character too, not just some random guy who we knew very little about but were suddenly expected to give two shits if they were still around.
ImageImageImage

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 286 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu May 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Shock value or not, at least this series actually DOES something. A major character died and there will be consequences for that death.

I love this title. I've been there since #1 and will be there when it ends.

Love Ottley's work. He's also a pretty fucking nice guy to boot.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu May 22, 2014 3:57 pm

GOSD wrote:Shock value or not, at least this series actually DOES something. A major character died and there will be consequences for that death.

Exactly. The character who died in this issue is the Invincible Universe's equivalent of Nick Fury. His death will have repercussions but there are more important things happening at the moment that will prevent those repercussions from being immediately felt.
ImageImageImage

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 991 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu May 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Invincible is easily one of my favorite comic books. It's my favorite superhero comic. I love that anything can and probably will happen. It's nice never knowing quite what you're going to get month to month. It helps that Ottley consistently delivers top notch art too.

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Thu May 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Grayson wrote:
Exactly. The character who died in this issue is the Invincible Universe's equivalent of Nick Fury. His death will have repercussions but there are more important things happening at the moment that will prevent those repercussions from being immediately felt.

Indeed, the shit is gonna hit the fan with this one!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand