Advertisement

What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 765 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:50 pm

It's not the 52 crap or the costs.

It's the now defunct reprint program that was called DC Archives.

For me, DC is dead. All that still exists is the classic old stuff I like(d). So, they want my money, give me good reprints of stuff as well as good digital copies too. Stuff from the 1930s to the year prior to the 52 launch.

The new shit is shit. The old shit, was not.

Also, Marvel... still pumps out their Masterworks line. Take that you stupid fuckers.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

2 people like this post.

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Chessack » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Yeah. I wish they had continued the Supergirl archives. Once I get to Action #322 or something, I'm going to have to buy the actual reprints which is going to be a real pain in the ass. Same with her Adventure Comics run.

But I can see if they don't want to print them all, that'd be fine with me... if they would just freaking go back and make them available digitally. I've been able to read the ENTIRE original X-men 1-66 run, and if I want even more are available, thanks to Marvel. And because Marvel has been pretty active, even though there are some classics I would like to read but can't (yet), I have faith that one day, those will be available digitally. But with DC, I have no such hope, because they don't seem to care to reprint the old stuff.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Chessack wrote:Yeah. I wish they had continued the Supergirl archives. Once I get to Action #322 or something, I'm going to have to buy the actual reprints which is going to be a real pain in the ass. Same with her Adventure Comics run.

But I can see if they don't want to print them all, that'd be fine with me... if they would just freaking go back and make them available digitally. I've been able to read the ENTIRE original X-men 1-66 run, and if I want even more are available, thanks to Marvel. And because Marvel has been pretty active, even though there are some classics I would like to read but can't (yet), I have faith that one day, those will be available digitally. But with DC, I have no such hope, because they don't seem to care to reprint the old stuff.

Yes, the digital alone should be an easy thing. Good gawd, it's gravy in advertisement for them with related product. Thanks to fans out there, a ton of the old stuff can be had in digital, but the quality will always be a grab-bag.

Good HC copies of the collections for favorite runs or characters is still a desirable thing to me. Even if I only really read the digital copies for convenience sake.

When they started collecting some of the popular golden age characters like Black Canary... sweet.

To me, this is really a crime. All of the LoSH should be covered. Superman, Batman, Teen Titans and other sellers. Hell, Firestorm and Outsiders would rock and Hawkman... not really all that many volumes to publish until you reach the 80s.

DC has some amazing classics in their library. They need to get them out for the sake of history.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Sonofspam likes this post.

Kurosawa
crash test dummy

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby Kurosawa » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Agree completely. All I care about is their history, I will never buy another new DC book unless there are huge changes made at the company. But DC has been pissing over their past in one form or another since COIE.

I know the characters in Marvel's books are not the same characters that Kirby drew, but at least Marvel pretends they are and at least they make their history available-because they are proud of it. But DC has always been ashamed of their history, and they have scorn for their creators. Stuff like that is why even though there is no chance it would happen, I would love to see DC go out of business.
Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple.

achilles likes this post.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 204 posts

Postby TimH » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:31 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:DC has some amazing classics in their library. They need to get them out for the sake of history.

I agree with you and Chessak. It would be excellent if DC offered something like Marvel Digital Unlimited. The number of classic runs that DC hasn't even reproduced in any format is an unfortunate waste.

Comixology may be catching up on George Perez's WW run, but I had to scrap that together on the back issue market, with only four TPBs to assist. Same with Brubaker's Catwoman run. I think it's now coming out in TPBs, but three years ago I also had to scrap it together.

And Peter David's Supergirl run--except for the very final story with pre-crisis supergirl that remains in print, this series is gone. Comixology's model alone is just too expensive--investing 100s of dollars in "rental comics". I suppose Marvel Digital Unlimited is no less expensive (and there is no pretense that you own anything), but you can at least roam around and sample titles that interest you, but which you wouldn't be willing to invest in individually.

I'd really like to read the original Doom Patrol series from the sixties, read the first run of Justice League of America (granted, I have much of that yellowing in the basement...) and the 70s GL / GA "road trip" series.

If you're lucky, you area library network will have some of these trades and archives. But, good luck with Peter David's Supergirl or Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is coming out in a single collection this fall (at $100 at B & N). For all Grant's pretensions with other series, that Doom Patrol run is a classic of good satire and humanist writing. Dorothy's "Take me back to the real world" request to Danny the Street seemed to say something more than the literal plot suggested.

Yeah, DC sits on a lot of magic that Marvel, with its more down to earth, Peter Parker the boy next door "realism" doesn't shoot for. Justice League of America was bigger than the Avengers, even though I doubt the Justice League was as good of a drama. Granted, I haven't read any of the 70s JLA as an adult. The Avengers is a genuinely thrilling ongoing character drama. I think the JLA was more about big villains and huge plots, like the JLA/JSA team ups and various first appearances of major criminals.

Kurosawa
crash test dummy

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby Kurosawa » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:03 pm

If DC made complete runs of their titles available online-GA books like Flash Comics, etc-that would be all I would read.
Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:08 pm

TimH wrote:If you're lucky, you area library network will have some of these trades and archives. But, good luck with Peter David's Supergirl or Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

Believe me, I know the pain of PAD's Supergirl. I stopped reading comics in 1999 on Supergirl 31. When I came back to comics in 2013, I decided to finish the run (32-80). Ouch. It was brutal. I did manage to get them all but how much easier would it have been if there were TPBs? (By the way, it's a darn good run so it is worth foraging for the back-issues if you are still looking.)

I know digitals may not be ideal, but... at least they are a stop-gap if DC does not want to invest in printing everything on paper. Digitals should be rather inexpensive to produce and even a few people buying them should recoup the money. Plus it adds TONS of good will for the company.

And beyond this... it might help DC with the fans who keep bitching about old-school characters. I mean, maybe if I had more pre-Crisis Supergirl or PAD Supergirl stories to read, I wouldn't be so annoyed at New 52 Supergirl.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 65 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Old doctor for prez!
Dc is canabalizing their product for short term gain. Wally west is the biggest example of this. The 90s ghetto version of Wally is an abortion and nothing I'll support. My dream pitch of a Wally who remembers pre reboot dc and is pissed with Barry for causing the reboot is 1000 times more interesting that the abortion they came up with.
Not all of the new dc is bad but most would have been possible without the reboot.

3 people like this post.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Aside from the costs, what ticks me off the most is how padded the stories seem, especially the event issues.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Liked in: 454 posts
Title: SilentKnight
Formerly: KnightofOwls

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Chuck Dixon / Gail Simons's Birds of Prey and Secert Six definitly needs a digital realese since people keep asking for them.

I wouldn't mind getting the old comics in digital form if hard copies are a hassle for them to repint.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 am

Gail's BOP issues are available digitally, I believe. In fact the entire series from #1 to #127 is available on ComiXology from what I can see.

OneWhoIsAll
cheese

Liked in: 454 posts
Title: SilentKnight
Formerly: KnightofOwls

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:44 am

Chessack wrote:Gail's BOP issues are available digitally, I believe. In fact the entire series from #1 to #127 is available on ComiXology from what I can see.

Awesome didn't notice when I check last time thanks.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 am

There are also Secret Six digitals available... one from a 2006 miniseries (it looks like) and one from a 2008-2011 run. I don't know if these are the volumes you are looking for, but if they are, it looks like both are complete sets. Both series appear to be written by Gail (at least the issues I checked.. I didn't check 'em all).

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:07 am

I'm going to point out an elephant in the room and it's that those evil torrents from the evil pirating fans exist covering most modern material rather thoroughly. But then, that is their evil being evil and seducing us to be evil and steal from DC... product that was published years ago but is no longer in print nor available in digital. Kinda like bootleg music, but no variant covers ie mixes nor rare covers of... uh.. covers.

But I'd still love the option of a good hard cover collection.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

3 people like this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand