Advertisement

Review Group Week 160 - SUPERMAN: WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Name the James Robinson/Greg Rucka writing team

Ruckbinson
45%
Rocka
27%
Other
27%

Total votes : 11

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:I just pm'd our remaining holdouts that this week would be the last that we would have a thread there. I know I said a couple of weeks ago that I would keep it going in both places, but between having the front page article here and the almost less than zero thread activity there it doesn't make much sense to put forth the effort.

So is everyone cool with changing the name from 'Review Group' to 'Outhouse Review Group'?

I am okay with that, now that I have been here a couple weeks I actually prefer it.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:28 am

sounds great to me!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:13 am

Superman: World Of New Krypton #1(of 12) - 'World Of New Krypton Part One' - Robinson, Rucka and Woods
Story - Much to my surprise, I liked this a lot. The set-up of this book is playing with elements of the Superman mythos which I dislike, it's looking at his alien, Kryptonian nature, and the things I find interesting about Superman are the Earth-based elements, how he was adopted by Humans, and the Daily Planet stuff, in my eyes, he is Clark Kent, not Kal-El, so a whole series where he becomes Kryptonian and embraces his Kal-ness is not appealing to me. But Rucka and Robinson do a good job in setting up this world, Superman is not comfortable here, and he shouldn't be, this is an alien culture to him, and I loved his questioning of things that all other Kryptonians take as read, and how his basic humanity shines though, as shown by his interactions with Tyr-Van, but still, he insists he is called Kal, his name is Clark dammit! One thing I found interesting about this issue is who Greg Rucka and James Robinson's individual voices merged to create what we have here, there is none of their usual tics, like unconventional, flowery narration, or hard-bitten lesbians (at least not yet), and what we had here was rather straight-forward stuff really, closer to what we get from Geoff Johns. But they were a late appointment to this series, and I wonder if we'll see more of their voices appear in later issues. Overall, this was a strong set up to the series, planting the seeds for a lot of interesting stories Ruckbinson can explore, I particularly like the Labour Guild plotline, Superman going back to his roots and fighting for the oppressed! And also, this new Zod, although a shameless rip from the movies, is the best version of Zod we've seen, and I want to see if he really has changed and is no longer interested in ruling Earth. So yeah, it was nothing flashy, but it made me able to stomach some aspects of Superman I couldn't before, and is an adequate replacement for Superman not being in his actual books.
Art - I'm a big fan of Pete Woods, I think he's got a unique and interesting style, which is perfect for Superman, as he illustrated one of the best Superman stories in a long while in 'Up, Up, And Away!' (The OYL arc by Johns and Busiek) His line-work is strong, and the faces are expressive. Importantly, his Superman is tough and imposing, yet still human, he's the next best thing if we can't have Gary Frank (who's cover is awesome), is Brad Anderson a new colourist for Woods? It seemed better than usual here, a little darker, a sometimes (Amazons Attack) Woods' art is coloured too brightly, but here, it's better.
Best Line - 'You're all new to your powers. But me? -- I've had a lifetime to master them'

8/10

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm gonna go with Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm so sorry, fourthman. :(

:D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:26 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:I'm gonna go with Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm so sorry, fourthman. :(

:smt011 , my review will resemble a guitaryoni review. I will read and then will decide whether or not to submit to my overlords.

I am writing my review of New Krypton tonite. I have been ill and then there was Watchmen jetlag...

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:44 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:I'm gonna go with Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm so sorry, fourthman. :(

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023

[center]Image
Guardians of the Galaxy #11
Selected by SuperginraiX[/center]
Writers: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
Pencils: Wesley Craig
Colors: Wil Quintana

THE STORY: If Captain Marvel is no more, how is he here? With War of Kings about to explode across the galaxy, two of the Guardians face death itself! Drax and Quasar journey beyond the veil of life in a desperate quest to find Moondragon. But what is waiting for them on the other side, and will it ever let them return? It’s a double shot of cosmic horror – that plants the seeds for where GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is heading next!

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:I am writing my review of New Krypton tonite. I have been ill and then there was Watchmen jetlag...

I was going to do mine today, but then I realized the first season of The Wire was available on demand so... I'm up to the 7th episode. 8)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:55 pm

is this the start of a story arc? or should I take a few issues home?

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Really quick, few sentence review.

Superman: World of New Krypton #1
Wrtten by Greg Rucka and James Robinson
Art by Pete Woods

A lot better than I expected. I was really annoyed that Johns and Robinson made me understand and love Kal-El, only to take him out of his own books, but this is what I'm after, a strong, confident Superman. I like the idea of putting him on NK for a while as it's a really interesting conflict between his two sides and the whole 'Who's disguising as who?' arguement. The story here was cool, and I didn't feel like I needed to read any of the other triangle books to understand it, I'd like to see it stay that way, but i doubt I'm going to keep buying, mainly for monetary reasons. It'll going to be really interesting not only seeing Kal in the military, but under Zod's command. Pete Woods' art is good, but I've seen him do better, there seems to be a DC style coming around with artists like Woods, Igle, Williams, Batista etc who all draw kinda doughy faces. I like it though, it's just nothing wowing

Story - 7
Art - 6
Overall - 7
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Kid Impulse wrote:Really quick, few sentence review.

Art by Pete Woods

A lot better than I expected. I was really annoyed that Johns and Robinson made me understand and love Kal-El, only to take him out of his own books, but this is what I'm after, a strong, confident Superman. I like the idea of putting him on NK for a while as it's a really interesting conflict between his two sides and the whole 'Who's disguising as who?' arguement. The story here was cool, and I didn't feel like I needed to read any of the other triangle books to understand it, I'd like to see it stay that way, but i doubt I'm going to keep buying, mainly for monetary reasons. It'll going to be really interesting not only seeing Kal in the military, but under Zod's command. Pete Woods' art is good, but I've seen him do better, there seems to be a DC style coming around with artists like Woods, Igle, Williams, Batista etc who all draw kinda doughy faces. I like it though, it's just nothing wowing

Story - 7
Art - 6
Overall - 7

if that is a few sentences then they are all run on sentences. :wink:

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Glad I got this week's in. Next week is such a pass.

Hermit_Sage
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:59 pm

hmmm well let me start with the easy stuff, the art is great I love me some rucka.

story wise I am torn, judging this by its own merits its a great story and I am interested to see where it leads, but I can't fully put out of my mind that there are way to many Kryptonians. The only way I can semi enjoy it is by telling myself one day they will either depower them, or send them to another universe or something. I dunno I will just have to be patient and see.

but for now I am very much interested in a world of superman, and I hope we get to see Chris again.

but by god they better depower or lose these people somehow!

overall - 8

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:if that is a few sentences then they are all run on sentences. :wink:

You know I get carried away. Remember what a normal review from looks like and yeah, that's a few sentences.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 am

Kid Impulse wrote:Really quick, few sentence review.

Art by Pete Woods

Story - 7
Art - 6
Overall - 7

His name is Clark!

Not Kal!

Rage!Rage!Rage!Rage!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Hell to the yes! Love this book and I can't really afford books I am not getting right now so this is a double win.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand