Advertisement

Review Group Week 160 - SUPERMAN: WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Name the James Robinson/Greg Rucka writing team

Ruckbinson
45%
Rocka
27%
Other
27%

Total votes : 11

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:25 pm

So I am editing my review right now.

To say the least, while I like the idea of this book, I am unhappy with its execution.

Story 4
Art 6
Overall 5

will link and quote when live.

Advertisement

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

SuperginraiX Official Review!

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:24 pm

It turns out that New Krypton is full of jerks. I mean, to the brim. For those that have been following the whole New Krypton storyline, that's not news. There are few Kryptonians that anyone would actually like and those seem to be the ones that are getting killed or have been left on Earth.

That makes this a very unsure world for Clark Kent to interact with. He's no longer the defacto strongest guy on the planet. He's the most experienced, but that gap will be closing quickly. So what makes Superman cool when everyone has the same powers as he does?

Well, that's the question, isn't it? What's wrong with a world full of Supermen and women? They might be more interesting than Kal-El.

So, it's a good thing they're all jerks.

What this book does very well is isolate Clark and make us learn why he's actually cool. Well, as cool as you can make Superman. New Krypton is a great idea and it's one that I actually hope DOESN'T go away. Clark doesn't need to be the last son of Krypton because he's already completely unique from his fellow Kryptonians. It'll be interesting seeing how this all plays out and I'm happy to see that Superman didn't shed a single tear all issue. It's almost like DC is learning!

I dig the art and colors. I'm a fan of the costumes and the architecture. I expect Superman to shine in future issues. Maybe I'm being naive. Still, I've been enjoying the New Krypton storyline this far in and I'm still hoping for that money moment where Clark is able to show his people just how much better than them he is. C'mon DC. Give me that moment.

For now, we're seeing alliances form and tension like you wouldn't believe. Our little Kal-El is going to either bring change (and possibly hope!) to his people or watch them be destroyed.

Either way, it's interesting enough to stayed tuned in for now.

And if you haven't guessed: yes. I like Superman better than Batman. <_<

Superman: World of New Krypton, you get a shiny 8 out of 10. I'll see you next month.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Considering how long I've been reading comics, I've read relatively few Superman comics. Mostly the big blue boy scout just doesn't do much for me. However, I had up until recently been reading quite a few Superman books starting with Geoff Johns' run on Action and Superman itself once James Robinson took over. Robinson's stuff was good, but Johns' stuff was fantastic and as a result I was all in for the New Krypton crossover. It started out strong, but midway through I was starting to burn out and the upcoming solicits didn't seem to hold much that interested me beyond James Robinson's name being attached so I dropped all of the Superman books at the end of New Krypton. Leave it to the Review Group to give me one last chance at buying in to the post-New Krypton status quo. :lol:

Maybe having just dropped the Superman books is clouding my judgment, but I didn't enjoy this much at all. For whatever reason the concept of Superman living on a world with nothing but other Supermen doesn't interest me in the least. It completely separates him from what I find most interesting about the character... his supporting cast. I'm sure there was probably something to justify his motivations for leaving Earth in the 'triangle' books I missed, but not having any background on why Clark would leave Earth is something of a mystery here and I'm not sure it's supposed to be. The 'triangle' may say 16, but this was still World of New Krypton #1. A simple recap page would have been helpful. About the only thing in the issue I did like was the reference to Chris. I'm sure Clark will find him at some point in the series, but I'm not willing to stick around and wait to see when that is.

Pete Woods is a really good fill in artist. As the primary artist however, I find him somewhat underwhelming. Technically, his layouts are solid and he can tell a story. Aesthetically though, I don't care much for figures and his lines feel chunky and unrefined. While I can't find much fault to Brad Anderson's colors, they don't add much to the story either.

Story: 4
Art: 6
Overall: 5

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:05 pm

MrBlack wrote:Since it's moved here, I suppose I'll finally start participating in the review group. Superman: World of New Krypton seems a good place to start.

I try to wait to read everyone else's reviews until I've done by own so I didn't see this until now. Welcome back, Mr. Black! 8)

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Where's Mr Batman?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:20 pm

GLX wrote:Where's Mr Batman?

His only comment on the Review Group moving was that he didn't want to post here, but he didn't give a reason why.

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Ruckbinson

:?

:smt011

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:42 pm

amlah6 wrote::?

:smt011

What? It's always fun coming up with smooshed together names for teams.

Hitlar, Fracbaker, Slage, all genius.

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Punchy wrote:What? It's always fun coming up with smooshed together names for teams.

Ruckbinson just doesn't flow. I propose Rocka as an alternative.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Punchy wrote:What? It's always fun coming up with smooshed together names for teams.

I've always seen it as Frubaker
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 pm

amlah6 wrote:His only comment on the Review Group moving was that he didn't want to post here, but he didn't give a reason why.

Tell him that Eric is banned.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 pm

GLX wrote:Tell him that Eric is banned.

I'll pm him.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 am

amlah6 wrote:Ruckbinson just doesn't flow. I propose Rocka as an alternative.

Rocka doesn't give enough emphasis to Robinson, it's too close to Rucka by himself, Ruckbinson is equal to both writers.

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 am

Punchy wrote:Rocka doesn't give enough emphasis to Robinson, it's too close to Rucka by himself, Ruckbinson is equal to both writers.

Ruckbinson is too long and unwieldy. It sounds like something boring and dull.

Rocka on the other hand has flair and sounds of impending awesomeness.

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 am

Everyone else can now also tell Punchy he's wrong by voting in the poll. :twisted:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand