Advertisement

New Avengers #8 (I'll tell you about it later Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

New Avengers #8 (I'll tell you about it later Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm

This issue was Jonathan Hickman in pure ‘setting stuff up for the future’ mode, and it was fine, but it’s not exactly satisfying to read. I will say that the Wakanda/Atlantis War really getting underway felt like more of a complete bit of story to me than the other threads, and it’s those sequences that I enjoyed the most here. The rest? We shall have to see.
You’ve got Iron Man and Mister Fantastic worrying about the Incursions and hiring some mystery person to help them out. I literally have no idea who this person could be, and I find I don’t really care. There’s also Namor plotting something with Black Swan, which could be interesting and finally, whatever’s going on with The Inhumans.

This all looks like set-up for whatever’s going to happen in Infinity which sets up Inhumanity. It’s set-up for more set-up, which is just weird. There was an excellent article on The Outhouse recently about how Marvel was stupid for revealing Inhumanity before Infinity had happened, but I actually think this issue showed it was a good thing. If I had read this issue without knowing that The Inhumans were about to become a big deal and were IMPORTANT then I would have enjoyed those sequences a lot less. I know you should read comics for their own quality level, not for how ‘important’ they are to a larger continuity, but sometimes I can’t help it. I know to be on the look-out for Inhumans stuff, and that made these scenes that could have seemed worthless, noteworthy. Especially since Hickman went to the Black Bolt speaking well twice, which is too much. Black Bolt speaking should be an event, not something that happens in two consecutive scenes! Stupid Hickman!

What else? Oh yeah, at the end, some strange aliens showed up to visit each of the Illuminati. What’s the deal with these guys? Are they something to do with the Incursions? Or are they Infinity-related? Hickman’s problem is that he’s building to so many different things that it’s not apparent which one of those stories any new development is linked to. Unless… they are all the same story. Mind = Blown. Mike Deodato’s art was good as always, even with uneven issues like this, his art holds things together.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: New Avengers #8 (I'll tell you about it later Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 am

It's probably Infinity related.

Coolest scene in the book was where Stark and Uatu were standing in front of the fallen Living Tribunal. Tells you how bad things are gonna get with Infinity and the Builders.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Not sure I like the concept of something that can do that to the Living Tribunal.

Loved the Inhuman stuff though.
ImageImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:50 am

Those aliens are Thanos's generals for Infinity.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am

Grayson wrote:Not sure I like the concept of something that can do that to the Living Tribunal.

Loved the Inhuman stuff though.

On the other hand, it was a cool WTF moment. Esp. since he's one the biggest d!cks in the MU.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 pm

I liked the stuff with Black Bolt and Medusa, but I have to say that everything else about this issue didn't really hold my interest. The problem is that it was all set up and not much else. There really wasn't a story between this issue's covers, only parts of one.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Spektre
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 341 posts

Postby Spektre » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Was it ever revealed what took out the Living Tribunal.

Was he dead? Did he stay dead?
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Spektre wrote:Was it ever revealed what took out the Living Tribunal.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Nick Fury?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:17 am

Spektre wrote:Was it ever revealed what took out the Living Tribunal.

That's what I've been wondering about. Was that scene in NA reviewing something that happened in GOTG, which I have admittedly haven't kept up with?

- Sons of the Desert

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 432 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:52 am

So far, no answer to that.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand