Advertisement

FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: A non-profit Student Stage Play

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

darklord1967
Steroid User

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: A Two-Act Stage Play!

Postby darklord1967 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Psychotic Harley Quinn packs a whallop of a surprise for an un-suspecting Robin The Boy Wonder!

But The Joker seems less than thrilled when he steps on stage to inspect his prize. He even demonstrates his displeasure on one of his own hapless henchmen!

The Joker tries to offer words of comfort to the Boy Wonder, but it is too late. He is out for the count! Oh well !! Another pleasant calling card for Batsy!!!!

When Harley tries to make light of the situation, a furious Joker reminds her that HE is the one who delivers ALL punchlines!

After The Joker leaves, a dismayed Harley Quinn tells her all troubles to a badly injured and unconscious Robin The Boy Wonder.

Last edited by darklord1967 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

darklord1967
Steroid User

Postby darklord1967 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Images from the GRAND FINALE...

With a helpless Batman chained to a cruise missile on the roof of the Globe Building...

The Joker declares victory over his foe as he prepares to launch and destroy the city!

But even as two heroes arrive to thwart his plans...

...the tables turn awfully quickly!

But eventually (of course) THE BATMAN gets free. He and THE JOKER have a spectacular battle to the finish!!

centrifugal
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 1 post

Postby centrifugal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:15 am

Is this a theatre play you are preparing?

darklord1967
Steroid User

Postby darklord1967 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:26 pm

centrifugal wrote:Is this a theatre play you are preparing?

From my very first post in this thread:

darklord1967 wrote:This is a full-length stage play that I have written, produced, and directed as a showcase for the young actors that have been studying as my Performing Arts students.

FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT tells the story of the creation of the Batman mythology in 1939 by Bob Kane, Bill Finger, and Jerry Robinson. The play also features exciting vignettes of the iconic characters of Gotham City as they are created by the three artists.

The play has just had a successful three-performance run at DeWitt Clinton High School Campus (the alma mater of Bob Kane, and Bill Finger - class of 1933!) And now, plans are underway for an exciting SECOND RUN of performances early next year!!

All costumes, props, and sets, custom designed, fabricated, and built for the production.

MakemSayGuzz
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MakemSayGuzz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:33 pm

This is fantastic. Thank you for your gift to live theater. :band :band
I'm all about the Red Sox andhttp://dwenhero.com/home.html. Make fun of neither.

Beige Lantern
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 153 posts
Title: Galactic Decorator

Postby Beige Lantern » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Has DC sent the cease-and-desist letter yet?
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move." - Captain America

HNutz likes this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 566 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:14 pm

Beige Lantern wrote:Has DC sent the cease-and-desist letter yet?

Yeah, I was wondering how this was getting past the lawyers.

darklord1967
Steroid User

Postby darklord1967 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 am

HNutz wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering how this was getting past the lawyers.

FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT is a non-profit student cosplay production performed in a school venue. It is essentially no different than any of the myriad of fan films or web series that are produced.

This is also NOT the first Batman-related fan stage production to be produced. There have in fact been SEVERAL PRODUCTIONS of various natures, including "Holy Musical Batman".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZhMeY5L44

Warner Bros. (owner of DC Comics/Entertainment) issued this statement regarding fan films/ fan creations in 2004. This has been their policy ever since. And our production STRICTLY adheres to these guidelines.

"Warner Bros. definitely appreciates the enthusiasm and respect of its fans. We will continue to monitor the use of Warner Bros. properties as used in fan films / creations. However, we will only consider taking action against such films/creations that are either commercial in nature, are commercially exploited or otherwise engage in or depict inappropriate activity."

darklord1967
Steroid User

Postby darklord1967 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:01 am

MakemSayGuzz wrote:This is fantastic. Thank you for your gift to live theater. :band :band

Thanks pal!! :-D

Beige Lantern
Mad Hatter

Postby Beige Lantern » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 am

Oh wow, they're way more open about it than I assumed they'd be. I wanted to adapt the Sandman story about the Emperor of America for a One Act Play competition and since I couldn't reach anyone at DC, went with something else.

Of course, even if we were safe from a lawsuit the competition rules stated the play had to be licensed. And since my kids were good and likely to do well, some other coach would have eventually challenged it and my team would be disqualified.

I'm jealous, is what I'm getting at.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move." - Captain America

darklord1967
Steroid User

Postby darklord1967 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:06 am

Beige Lantern wrote:Oh wow, they're way more open about it than I assumed they'd be. I wanted to adapt the Sandman story about the Emperor of America for a One Act Play competition and since I couldn't reach anyone at DC, went with something else.

Of course, even if we were safe from a lawsuit the competition rules stated the play had to be licensed. And since my kids were good and likely to do well, some other coach would have eventually challenged it and my team would be disqualified.

I'm jealous, is what I'm getting at.

No need to be jealous friend.

Dealing with licensed stuff can definitely be tricky. And sadly, so many opportunities are NOT open to you when you do. So it really takes a HARD-HEADED or CRAZY person (like me) to say "I'm going spend all this money and time to do a full stage play that features this licensed character... BUT... in order to not get sued, I'm NOT going to charge any admission to see it, and I'm NOT going to make any money off of it of ANY kind. I'm just going to make it as a FAN just so that I can see it produced and enjoy it." LOL! :-D

But I am intrigued by YOUR situation. It sounds similar to mine. Am I to understand that you are a drama teacher that was hoping to do a stage production with your students based on comic book property????

Gosh! I thought I was the only one!!!

Well... I certainly Hope that you are one day re-inspired to revisit you Sandman play concept (perhaps independently), because I think it could be REALLY awesome for it to become a reality! I wish you all the encouragement in the world because doing something like this (even on a small scale) is a pretty massive undertaking.

Over the years while preparing this production, I ran into SEVERAL un.licenced DC Comics-themed stage productions that arguably did not follow the Warners/DC fan works guidelines (charged admission to the show, and / or presented the characters engaging in "inappropriate activity") and yet they somehow got away with it!

Puzzles me to this day. :D

Beige Lantern
Mad Hatter

Re: FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: A non-profit Student Stage

Postby Beige Lantern » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 pm

You charged no admission? Ah, that explains it, but also sings your praises even louder for pulling it off.

Yes, I'm a high school theatre teacher and I had wanted to do a story from Fables and Reflections. Because none of my students were familiar with the franchise, I thought it would be really awesome for them to design their own costumes based on what THEY thought destiny, desire, despair, etc would look like personified. I'm still disappointed I couldn't make it happen.

But we did The Tempest that spring and got to play around with some of the same concepts.

darklord1967
Steroid User

Postby darklord1967 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:22 pm

I find it so interesting that if one wants to do anything artistically ambitious regarding a licensed character, these issues of possible cease and desist arise. However, there are literally dozens of amateur stage productions produced every year featuring the works of Shakespeare and or established musicals or "American Classics" where licensing is not an issue at all... at least as far as I have seen.

It's too bad too. While Shakespeare has tremendous theatrical (and educational) value, I found that the comic book subject matter is really exciting and inspirational to the students. Comic book characters and their adventure stories are our contemporary mythology. And my play (with its main focus being on the story of the CREATION of the Batman mythology by Kane, Finger, and Robinson) is historically educational as well. That has tremendous value for the students.

This comic book subject matter got my young cast VERY anxious to get real experience on all aspects of theater production, costuming, set design, lighting, fight choreography. I even included two or three older seasoned actors (like our Commisioner Gordon or Alfred) into the cast to give the students the enrichment experience of working with industry professionals. It was a well-rounded experience for them.

This is a Work Sample video of our Summer Preview Performance. It is two clips edited together. The first clip features Commissioner Gordon summoning Batman and Robin with the Batsignal at the start of ACT II, and the second clip is Batman and Robin being rescued from the Riddler's death trap by a mysterious girl in a Bat suit (Batgirl !) before Gordon and his SWAT team arrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBw_whzM8RQ

Don't forget to turn up the volume on your speakers and click on the "HD 720P" viewing option on player for best quality.

Beige Lantern
Mad Hatter

Postby Beige Lantern » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:04 pm

darklord1967 wrote:I find it so interesting that if one wants to do anything artistically ambitious regarding a licensed character, these issues of possible cease and desist arise. However, there are literally dozens of amateur stage productions produced every year featuring the works of Shakespeare and or established musicals or "American Classics" where licensing is not an issue at all... at least as far as I have seen.

If copyright law had been kept the way it was originally written, Superman would have entered the public domain this year.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Creator's Corner