Sunday, August 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "SCORE! The Outhouse does it again!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Why did John Byrne abruptly leave West Coast Avengers?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Johnny Smith

rubber spoon

Postby Johnny Smith » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Chubbles wrote:Chap works security at Walmart he's not management material


Are you talking about the guy who defeated Yoda in a light saber battle, when Yoda was using his "grasshopper on PCP" moves? 8)
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:42 pm

FBtron wrote:I loved the Avengers West Coast run, I grew up on that. It was very engaging, it actually made me look forward to a book to see what was going to happen next month to month. I hate how fanboys like chapp or whatever that guys name is who commented earlier have to make their opinions like they are the word of God. Although this thread is three years old so he is probably working at Walmart as manager by now. Essentially it sounds like Marvel ripped off Byrne's idea with House of M. They basically used Scarlet Witch's powers to negate reality and create an alternate timeline that only 'Layla Miller' could remember. I love how Marvel essentially steals writers ideas and gets away with it. Apparently it wasn't good enough for the 90's run but worked for the 2000's.


That you can blame on the cast of idiots running Marvel in the early 90's. Joe Q would have let Byrne continue with his plans.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:48 pm

remember when I recommended the idea of auto locking threads after a certain amount of time???? I think this might be the poster child.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
That you can blame on the cast of idiots running Marvel in the early 90's. Joe Q would have let Byrne continue with his plans.


Probably and that's the problem I have with this Facebook poster's accusation. Jim Shooter run Marvel and Joe Quesada run Marvel are in a lot of ways two separate organizations. It's more than a little unrealistic to lump them in together as if they're one and the same.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:21 pm

FBtron wrote:I loved the Avengers West Coast run, I grew up on that. It was very engaging, it actually made me look forward to a book to see what was going to happen next month to month. I hate how fanboys like chapp or whatever that guys name is who commented earlier have to make their opinions like they are the word of God. Although this thread is three years old so he is probably working at Walmart as manager by now. Essentially it sounds like Marvel ripped off Byrne's idea with House of M. They basically used Scarlet Witch's powers to negate reality and create an alternate timeline that only 'Layla Miller' could remember. I love how Marvel essentially steals writers ideas and gets away with it. Apparently it wasn't good enough for the 90's run but worked for the 2000's.


I hate how some individuals dig up three year old threads thinking that they have a point that needs to be made and end up taking potshots at other posters. :smt102
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Grayson wrote:
I hate how some individuals dig up three year old threads thinking that they have a point that needs to be made and end up taking potshots at other posters. :smt102


It's also funny how he says he hates that Chap is "making his opinion like it's the word of God," and then proceeds to do the exact same thing himself a couple of sentences later. :lol:

He seems to know an awful lot about what people at Marvel were thinking when House of M was created. :P
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:28 am

I don't think I managed to ever read Byrne's run. I hated Al Milgrom's art so much that I dropped that book in its earliest days.
User avatar

Rob Thompson

Zombie Guard

Postby Rob Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:34 am

Eli Katz wrote:I don't think I managed to ever read Byrne's run. I hated Al Milgrom's art so much that I dropped that book in its earliest days.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend Byrne's run on the book. He really did a lot of enjoyable stuff with that title.
User avatar

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:02 am

Stephen Day wrote:
Probably and that's the problem I have with this Facebook poster's accusation. Jim Shooter run Marvel and Joe Quesada run Marvel are in a lot of ways two separate organizations. It's more than a little unrealistic to lump them in together as if they're one and the same.

And Byrne was working on West Coast Avengers during Tom DeFalco's time as EIC. To further drive your point home, Byrne HATED Shooter and only came back to Marvel after Shooter had been unceremoniously fired.

Byrne also hates Joe Quesada after that whole X-Men: The Hidden Years fiasco.








Byrne hates a lot of people.
User avatar

Rob Thompson

Zombie Guard

Postby Rob Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:04 am

SuperginraiX wrote:And Byrne was working on West Coast Avengers during Tom DeFalco's time as EIC. To further drive your point home, Byrne HATED Shooter and only came back to Marvel after Shooter had been unceremoniously fired.

Byrne also hates Joe Quesada after that whole X-Men: The Hidden Years fiasco.


Byrne hates a lot of people.

Think a lot of people attribute hate to Byrne when in fact all he really has are solidified professional disagreements with them. I think the furthest one could go is to say he has no respect for some of the people in his industry.
User avatar

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 am

Rob Thompson wrote:Think a lot of people attribute hate to Byrne when in fact all he really has are solidified professional disagreements with them. I think the furthest one could go is to say he has no respect for some of the people in his industry.

Hate is probably an incorrect word but it's funnier and more dramatic.
User avatar

Rob Thompson

Zombie Guard

Postby Rob Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Hate is probably an incorrect word but it's funnier and more dramatic.

A fan of pathos as opposed to logos, eh? :wink:
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:16 am

Eli Katz wrote:I don't think I managed to ever read Byrne's run. I hated Al Milgrom's art so much that I dropped that book in its earliest days.

I stopped WCA too because of Milgrom - but I jumped right back on the issue Byrne came on.
User avatar

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:22 am

Rob Thompson wrote:A fan of pathos as opposed to logos, eh? :wink:

It's comics. It's like geeky professional wrestling.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 42 guests

cron