Advertisement

Review Group Week 161 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:53 pm

thefourthman wrote:post more and it will go away!

This is the first time I have ever wanted my nuramod powers back. :roll:

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:53 pm

amlah6 wrote::smt011

As last weekend proved once again with Watchmen, the movie is never better.

No, as a horror, the movie works better, it has time for more characters than Eben,in the book he's the only character with any focus, and it's just scarier.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:I got you now. I thought draw as in a draw in chess, so so, middle of the road.

A draw as in something to draw me in to buying it.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Punchy wrote:No, as a horror, the movie works better, it has time for more characters than Eben,in the book he's the only character with any focus, and it's just scarier.

Eben and Stella are the best part of the book, the movie completely fraks their relationship.

The movie is great visually, mostly because they worked so hard to translate Templesmith's art to film, but from a storytelling perspective it was very weak.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 pm

In order for me to review this book I must first voice my hatred for fourthman who is the reason I must review this book. Fourthman, I plan on raping you. Raping you with the glory of a 1000 suns. I will come to north carolina and burn your house down. I will also be doing this all while reciting dialogue from Youngblood vol 1. I will even be describing the pictures to you, which you will need because I'm going to skull fuck your eyes out.

Now onto the book. This was a throw away book. I know nothing of the characters or annihilation or any of it. So for me the story is 3. The art on the other hand is excellent. I love the digital coloring style. it's a 7. So in total

I also like the fact that the word skull fuck will appear on the front page.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:19 pm

I love almost anything having to do with Marvel's cosmic scene. I love Abnett and Lanning. I love the Guardians of the Galaxy - as a title, as a team, and as a concept.

All that being said, I was very, very disappointed with this issue. Maybe it was the fact that, of all of the characters they have been working with for the past couple of years, Phyla has been the weakest, so just as the Quasar mini's leading up to Annihilation: Conquest were the weakest, so too this issue would be weak. Maybe it was the fact that it didn't feel like anything really happened. Or maybe it was because, as someone else pointed out, this whole story arc feels like a throw-away, especially in light of War of Kings.

Whatever it was, this issue was far below the standard that I have come to expect of DnA. It had a rambling feel and even the appearance of Maelstrom felt meaningless. The dialogue was often annoying - even from the people it was supposed to be enlightening from.

On the plus side, the art had a very dreamy, otherworldly appearance to it, so it fit with the environment.

All things taken into account, I give this issue a 4 out of 10. DnA, you've done much, much better - and you know it.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Since Drax has been re-invented a couple years ago in that mini during the first Annihilation he has been one of my favorite characters in the MU. He reminds me of a Vin Diesel in Pitch Black which was one of my favorite bad ass characters of the past 10-15 years. DnA have been very, very good for a long time now. They have made GotG and Nova two of my must gets every month. I even like them enough that I've picked up their old run on DC's Legion bc my faith in them is very high. This issue was both quite good and a little bit of a let down. It had a ton of Drax which was awesome but this female lesbian Quasar has not been a high point. Anything Drax did was cool but anything she did was lame. I can't wait til the real Quasar comes back and takes the reigns again. Wes Craig however saved this book from getting a low score. He is awesome here and the coloring was also equally as good. i wouldn't mind having Craig stick around for ahwile and seeing what he can do with the rest of the characters. Overall this was not a great issue for newcomers but it was ok for us who know how good this book can be.

Story 4
Art 8
Overall 6

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Next weeks pick

Ok I am debating between a couple of books. Transmet would be an easy pick but i feel that most people in this group have already read it and anyone even slightly interested will buy it bc it's 1 dollar and not bc we picked it to review.

I am deciding between ASM 588, Invincible 60, Deadpool games of death, and Ultimatum 3. Here is my reasoning:

ASM - Supposedly we get lots of answers here so it should at the very least spark some debate.

Invincible - This is the biog crossover Image has been touting for quite some time and Kirkman is a damn good writer so I think it will be lots of fun.

Deadpool - Well, it's deadpool and that's about all you need to know.

Ultimatum - I've enjoyed it so far partly bc the art is excellent and Loeb does these mindless action things quite well.

I'll decide by tomorrow but these are my choices.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I love almost anything having to do with Marvel's cosmic scene. I love Abnett and Lanning. I love the Guardians of the Galaxy - as a title, as a team, and as a concept.

All that being said, I was very, very disappointed with this issue. Maybe it was the fact that, of all of the characters they have been working with for the past couple of years, Phyla has been the weakest, so just as the Quasar mini's leading up to Annihilation: Conquest were the weakest, so too this issue would be weak. Maybe it was the fact that it didn't feel like anything really happened. Or maybe it was because, as someone else pointed out, this whole story arc feels like a throw-away, especially in light of War of Kings.

Whatever it was, this issue was far below the standard that I have come to expect of DnA. It had a rambling feel and even the appearance of Maelstrom felt meaningless. The dialogue was often annoying - even from the people it was supposed to be enlightening from.

On the plus side, the art had a very dreamy, otherworldly appearance to it, so it fit with the environment.

All things taken into account, I give this issue a 4 out of 10. DnA, you've done much, much better - and you know it.

Welcome to the group, Flynn. 8)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:12 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:In order for me to review this book I must first voice my hatred for fourthman who is the reason I must review this book. Fourthman, I plan on raping you. Raping you with the glory of a 1000 suns. I will come to north carolina and burn your house down. I will also be doing this all while reciting dialogue from Youngblood vol 1. I will even be describing the pictures to you, which you will need because I'm going to skull fuck your eyes out.

Now onto the book. This was a throw away book. I know nothing of the characters or annihilation or any of it. So for me the story is 3. The art on the other hand is excellent. I love the digital coloring style. it's a 7. So in total

I also like the fact that the word skull fuck will appear on the front page.

You act like I wanted to read this shit. I am happy to see it get low scores.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm

amlah6 wrote:Welcome to the group, Flynn. 8)

what the hell kind of welcome is that, where is the belittling and namecalling. Where is the relentless and illogical rant at how they are wrong about the great GOTG. You are giving this kid unreal notions of how the group works.

Maybe Sire and Yoni knew what they were doing after all.

:wink:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:what the hell kind of welcome is that, where is the belittling and namecalling. Where is the relentless and illogical rant at how they are wrong about the great GOTG. You are giving this kid unreal notions of how the group works.

Maybe Sire and Yoni knew what they were doing after all.

:wink:

I guess I just figured with all the lubeless assrape and ridiculously large screen caps in the thread this week it was a miracle anyone posted at all.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:35 pm

amlah6 wrote:I guess I just figured with all the lubeless assrape and ridiculously large screen caps in the thread this week it was a miracle anyone posted at all.

we got what, three reviews by Thursday night... dude, that's a record.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:39 pm

thefourthman wrote:we got what, three reviews by Thursday night... dude, that's a record.

On behalf of 48, fuck you for forgetting that he has also posted his review.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:42 pm

amlah6 wrote:On behalf of 48, fuck you for forgetting that he has also posted his review.

all scores higher than a 6 are meaningless.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand